• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POLL: To add a new rule to the Forum Marketplace
6 6

Poll to see if a new rule needs to be added to the Forum Marketplace  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Does a new Marketplace rule need to be added regarding consignments and/or whether the seller has physical possession of the book being sold?

• Yes.  A seller ALWAYS needs to disclose if he's selling a book on consignment AND must also note if they physically have the book in their possession or not.
    • Yes.  But a seller ONLY needs to disclose they're selling a book on consignment if they do not have the book in their possession.
    • Yes.  The seller does not need to disclose if the book is a consignment or not.  But they must ALWAYS disclose when they do not currently have the book in their possession.
    • Yes. But it should simply be against the rules to post books for sale that are not in the sellers possession. This includes, but is not limited to, "consignments" or books that are "on their way back from CGC".
    • No.  A new rule does not need to be added.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/16/2022 at 03:00 AM

101 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2022 at 10:39 AM, Dr. Balls said:

However, the risk is taken 100% by the buyer. If a seller doesn't have the book and he spend 30 days trying to get it - the buyer is the one hanging out. Not the seller nor the consignor. And putting the odds on the seller returning the money is ever more risk to the buyer to gamble with the fact if he can even get his money back.

It's shady to sell something you don't have in hand and you don't tell potential buyers, I don't care how you slice it or present it. That is a shady business practice that moves all the risk to the buyer. I understand that most sellers are problem going to hate this rule, and with good reason - it now requires them to share the responsibility of managing a consigned book by having it in-hand or risk losing sales because people don't trust the situation where a trusted seller is dealing with an unknown third party to buy the book.

The other option is to post up the :takeit: and when it comes time to share shipping information, etc - to confirm the book is in their possession via PM. But again it's up to the buyer's responsibility to determine if the seller has the book. Yeah, it's one more rule, but let's face it - our society is on the downhill side of professionalism, and we need to keep adding obvious rules because many people ignore the proper way to conduct their business.

I agree with you, but this rule doesn't properly address the problem. Instead it complicates the issue by mixing in consigned books.

My feeling is you shouldn't sell books not in hand, with few exceptions, but I see no reason why it needs to mentioned if the book is on consignment. 

Rulez are like bones. No one pays any attention until you start breaking them.

Edited by shadroch

On 7/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, Dr. Balls said:

If someone buys a raw book and you sell it from a consignment, and to find out it's got a missing page - do *you* as a seller want to accept that responsibility? Or would you just handle it internally and refund the customer then chase down the consignor?

If I have a raw book out for sale that I graded and missed the coupon out I am fully responsible for making the buyer whole in what ever manner is agreed upon(could be a full refund, could be a partial refund), that has nothing to do with where the book comes from.  How that is handled with the consignor depends on the situation- was the consignor already paid for that item, is it a pending payout that needs to be adjusted, etc. and is not related to getting the transaction completed properly between seller/buyer.

On 7/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I am not familiar with the benefit of consignment books for a comic dealer (I'm guessing it's to bolster their stock and give them a larger variety of books for customers to purchase)

(thumbsu.

Lord, this is a microcosm of how contracts get SO complicated.  One person gets burned or inconvenienced a little and a new rule/contract term has to be added, despite the chances of it happening again being pretty miniscule.  We had to have SOME rules as people used to get burned frequently or the sales forum was a mess to navigate, but you folks are off the deep end on needing a rule for every possible scenario.  

If you are selling it, you're responsible to make sure it is described right and ready to ship to the buyer and gets there in the same condition.  This proactive disclosure is just silly and almost certainly won't be followed anyway and/or isn't needed for reputable sellers to begin with. 

On 7/14/2022 at 3:57 PM, Transplant said:

Lord, this is a microcosm of how contracts get SO complicated.  One person gets burned or inconvenienced a little and a new rule/contract term has to be added, despite the chances of it happening again being pretty miniscule.  We had to have SOME rules as people used to get burned frequently or the sales forum was a mess to navigate, but you folks are off the deep end on needing a rule for every possible scenario.  

If you are selling it, you're responsible to make sure it is described right and ready to ship to the buyer and gets there in the same condition.  This proactive disclosure is just silly and almost certainly won't be followed anyway and/or isn't needed for reputable sellers to begin with. 

This isn’t ComicLink.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask that sellers have the books they’re selling in hand.  

I’m not big on rules, but I think that’s a good one. 

On 7/14/2022 at 12:52 PM, Axe Elf said:
On 7/14/2022 at 9:50 AM, shadroch said:

So #1 is leading with 35% of the the vote, but that also means 65% of the people voted against it.  Does the mod listen to the third of the people who voted for it, or the almost two thirds who don't want #1?  Democracy is such a mess. 

To further complicate things, only 18% said that no new rule is needed, so 72% are in agreement that a new rule IS needed--they just can't agree on what the new rule should be.  #1 is currently the most popular of the proposed new rules.

I abstain from voting on the grounds that it doesn't affect me.

I think this is the better way to look at. Vast majority are in favor of a rule and #1 is the most popular choice of which rule to implement. 

On 7/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, wombat said:

I think this is the better way to look at. Vast majority are in favor of a rule and #1 is the most popular choice of which rule to implement. 

You don't think 51% of the people should vote for something?  Maybe the poll should have 25 options so 5% of the people can decide for the rest of us. 

A rule that 2/3rds of the people don't want is a rule that is going to be abused and ignored. 

On 7/14/2022 at 8:15 PM, shadroch said:

You don't think 51% of the people should vote for something?  Maybe the poll should have 25 options so 5% of the people can decide for the rest of us. 

A rule that 2/3rds of the people don't want is a rule that is going to be abused and ignored. 

What I think is that people overwhelmingly want a rule and given the options #1 is the most popular. You are also making a big assumption (that I think is false). 

Edited by wombat

I'm not making any assumption. No proposal got 50% of the people to support it.  The majority doesn't want any of the proposed rules.  Saying the majority wants a new rule is not the same as saying they want the first rule, because two thirds voted against it.  If a proposed rule can't get 50% ,minimum, it shouldn't become a rule because the majority doesn't want it. 

I have no idea why you don't get that. How did you do on the two die problem?

On 7/14/2022 at 8:25 PM, shadroch said:

I'm not making any assumption. No proposal got 50% of the people to support it.  The majority doesn't want any of the proposed rules.  Saying the majority wants a new rule is not the same as saying they want the first rule, because two thirds voted against it.  If a proposed rule can't get 50% ,minimum, it shouldn't become a rule because the majority doesn't want it. 

I have no idea why you don't get that. How did you do on the two die problem?

100% wrong. No one voted against any rule. They just picked their top preference. You have no clue if people don't want rule #1. They just liked other options better. And quite frankly I couldn't possibly care less what you get or don't get. 

Edited by wombat

Just eliminate the LEAST popular alternative (currently #2) and have another poll.  Rinse and repeat.  Three polls later, you'll have an outcome decided by more than 50% of the voters.

EDIT: 1/6 of the time.

Edited by Axe Elf

• Administrator

BTW, here was my post regarding polls and changing the rules.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:23 PM, CGC Mike said:

As far as changes to the marketplace guidelines, I recommend that a poll is started by a forum member.  In most cases, I will go with the majorities decision.  

On 7/14/2022 at 3:57 PM, Transplant said:

Isn't that the way society is? 

Someone gets burnt drinking hot coffee and all of a sudden we have to put warning labels that coffee cups contain hot coffee.
Someone swallows a fish hook so they now come with warning labels harmful if swallowed.

Adding more rules will just reduce the number of sellers that have already been reduced to page 1 lasting weeks.

On 7/14/2022 at 8:54 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Option 1 needs to be amended,  as it requires proactive disclosure of whether or not the books are on consignment.  That’s none of anyone’s business, and should certainly not be put into law here. 

8B121B96-9DDB-4344-9AAD-BB92595F4C1C.jpeg.8b64785287e5e4bf49a56ac6608b6ca4.jpeg

Check out option #3...........Jabroni. :makepoint: