• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Popular Things You Have No Interest In (Ignore Value)
2 2

52 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2022 at 5:02 PM, J.Sid said:

The thread is called "Popular" Things You Have No Interest In...  :grin:

True....unfortunately, so much of it was over Kirby work that is very popular.

What were they thinking when they used him for Kirby's drawings????...He literally destroyed EVERY page.
Was it because he was fast and they needed the work done quickly? It certainly could NOT have been because
he "enhanced" the work of the penciller.

Sorry....momentary, quiet rant about the destruction of what would have been very  "popular" work.

Sam Kieth Wolverine

All Sienkiewicz work after New Mutants

Ditko ASM (I know I should not say this aloud please don’t kick me out of the chat board ) - but I love love love his work on Dr Strange 

McSpidey

On 7/15/2022 at 11:24 AM, pkveronese said:

Gun heavy art. I've had art with prominent, realistic guns (i.e., not Liefeld guns) on the walls a couple of times and it killed the mood of the room. Sold or traded all of them over time.

This! The whole superheroes with guns thing of the early 90’s seemed so off the mark to me — it’s escapism; give the heroes superhuman abilities, not weapons, even if they are Liefeldesque exaggerations of real-world weapons. Guns are too ordinary for superhumans. (Executioner with guns in that Thor movie doh!)

I’ve told this story on the boards before, but comics killed Star Wars for me: my mom takes 12-year-old me to see this Star Wars movie. Opening scene of cool guys in white Iron Man armor looking outfits, and they’ve got guns instead of energy blasters in their hands! I’m sitting there as a kid thinking, “15 years of Marvel comics and we’re still getting Buck Rogers starships and ray guns, just with better effects?” Then the Dr. Doom ripoff walks in and I was ready to go home.

So I guess Star Wars is an answer for me, too. 

On 7/17/2022 at 8:56 AM, RBerman said:

The curse of the jaded twelve year old! There's no right or wrong answer with what to like or dislike. One man's rip-off is another man's loving homage. Many people do like genre mash-ups. Executioner with twin assault rifles was straight off the cover of Simonson's Thor #362, which in turn was a reference to Rambo, with the words "First Blood" prominent on the cover. Weapons are a convenient prop to add visual interest to a story, something for a hero to do with his hands. Hawkeye's arrows, Black Knight's sword, Elektra's sais, Thor's hammer. Depends on the character, though. It usually doesn't make sense for Superman to have a gun (or a utility belt, as Liefeld once had to explain to Tom Cruise). But it makes plenty of sense for Punisher or Domino or Mystique to have a gun, based on their histories and abilities. What doesn't make sense is for heroes to have a ranged weapon but then ignore it to engage in melee, like Iron Man vs the lava guy in Iron Man 3.

image.jpeg.04d7cefc9dc23f677d7aef16bf687b3a.jpeg

lol So well put! Exactly - had I not been a comics kid, expecting more Avengers and less Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon, I probably would have loved Star Wars from minute one. As it was, I recall distinctly being happier at the ending than the opening scenes, but not loving it so much that I got into the sequels and Lucas’ whole universe. It’s so individual; would I have been a Star Wars fan over the years had comics not existed? It’s a What If that I cannot write; I’m honestly stumped. 
As to Thor; thank you I had no clue it was a homage as I never saw (or didn’t remember) Thor 362! I think I had dropped the title before then, but this makes more sense to me now. 
I completely agree with your take on weapons, and when it’s integral to the character, whether Thor’s hammer or Punisher’s guns, it’s seamless. But it seems in my memory like for a while there, soon after Punisher blossomed as a lead character, you could find fancy guns in most any hero’s hands. That brief era still gives me a narrow but visceral reaction. But that’s just me; I liked Punisher much more as a supporting character, could not get into him as a series lead.

My favorite example is that Morrison JLA story where J’onn is the baddie (something to do with a villainess named Scorch) and the entire JLA picks up Martian guns. I mean Batman in that situation, sure, but Wonder Woman??
I’m not the world’s biggest movie buff, but as the director Whit Stillman said, “It’s not just the truth, but when and how you learn it.”

Thank you for that thoughtful, helpful response! 

On 7/15/2022 at 12:57 PM, John E. said:

I find this very interesting. I have a small collection of Punisher pages but I’d never display them. I also don’t buy violent kill pages with human viscera or pages that show violence or sexual assault against women.

I echo the sexual stuff too. I almost put that in the original post, but figured it would ruffle too many feathers. I'm not sure I've had any in the past, but it wouldn't fly on the walls.

Edited by pkveronese

On 7/17/2022 at 9:28 AM, Readcomix said:

My favorite example is that Morrison JLA story where J’onn is the baddie (something to do with a villainess named Scorch) and the entire JLA picks up Martian guns. I mean Batman in that situation, sure, but Wonder Woman??

Batman picking up a gun?

Naw, I'd rather have Wonder Woman taking the gun, it might seem silly but at least it wouldn't be character assassination

To be fair, I have no idea what story you're talking about lol If this is some alternate universe like Thomas Wayne Batman then I'll retract what I said

On 7/17/2022 at 4:26 PM, JC25427N said:

Batman picking up a gun?

Naw, I'd rather have Wonder Woman taking the gun, it might seem silly but at least it wouldn't be character assassination

To be fair, I have no idea what story you're talking about lol If this is some alternate universe like Thomas Wayne Batman then I'll retract what I said

I can't remember the issue number, but it was Morrison's early 90's JLA run. Mostly a great read. 

In pre-Robin Tec's, Bats did use a gun.

On 7/17/2022 at 3:51 PM, Readcomix said:

I can't remember the issue number, but it was Morrison's early 90's JLA run. Mostly a great read. 

In pre-Robin Tec's, Bats did use a gun.

And briefly even when Robin was around, at least on the cover. Alex Ross' DC art book has a short story in which Batman shoots Superman with a Kryptonite bullet, too. Obviously these are exceptions to the general Batman rule.

It's a toss-up whether Punisher or Cable was more responsible for the proliferation of guns, gritted teeth, and pouches in the 90s.  A more recent trend, perhaps dating from Kingdom Come, is to show Wonder Woman using a sword and shield more than her lasso.

image.jpeg.a0b83a7384341fb0d52e032c427afe29.jpeg