• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I feel like I got taken
2 2

76 posts in this topic

On 7/12/2022 at 2:56 PM, MAR1979 said:

I've seen Huge differences between weak 9.6's and strong 9.8's.  But yeah a strong 9.6 compared to a weak 9.8 might be nothing more than the graders mood.

The ol' chestnut of "buy the book not the slab label" applies!

Agreed! I got my Something is Killing the Children #1 signed and graded and I noticed a small something along the spine as I was packing it up. I was actually worried (1st world problem!) that it would come back in the low 9s. It got a 9.6 and it's pretty obvious this is the reason. But I have other 9.6s and 9.8s I just don't have the time or imagination to figure out what is the reason for 1 over the other. The best policy is to store your comics bagged and boarded in long boxes, never open the box, and assume they're all 9.8-10s.

On 7/12/2022 at 3:00 PM, scburdet said:

I am not a defender or detractor of how they operate, but it kind of makes sense that the highest grades wouldn't necessarily have grader notes. There are multiple graders looking at the same item, and making a note implies consensus across all those eyes. If there's a difference of opinion about the nature of a defect, it's likely "safest" to not delineate that. I suspect this is the case for many areas where people desire more transparency. If they give too much information, they just open the floodgates to customers objecting to what often amounts as a judgement call. We can all agree what a crease is, but if there's a small spot on a spine, does that constitute a manufacturing defect or something that's damage? Lots things being decided on the margins.

The only problem is the HUGE sums of money between a 9.6 and 9.8.  That and the fact that some are just re-issuing books for the pre-screen til they get the grade they want.

I'm not sure why I care really.  Personally, I'm not interested in buying a book because it graded 9.8  When I finally found FF48 in decent condition at a ridiculous price, I was Flippin' Ecstatic!

All I know through reading all this is OP is definitely checked the **** out haha. Personally, he just seems very inexperienced to me, grammatically and on a basis of grading knowledge. All that aside though, if CGC isn't doing it for him then he should just let it go as he implied. Personally, I think people talk a big game when it comes to that, but they find themselves right back in the thick of it, buying CGC. Ultimately, I think CGC does a solid job, at least I've never had many issues. A couple problems with labels that were corrected, and the occasional newton ring issue. Overall though, grading has been very consistent for me and customer service has been sufficient. Boy oh boy, people LOOOVVEEE to bash this company lol. I'm not saying it's not warranted at times, but wow it's gotten bad. Definitely don't see people praise them when they add anything that's positive in nature.

Anyway, much love to ya'll!!! Keep on collecting!!!

9.6 is high grade as is. There is not a lot you can do without identifying pressable defects. Paying money, unfortunately, does not improve the grades. There are rather unique situations that can be improved but sometimes you can't get them any better. Not every books comes off the presses with 9.8 potential. If you're concerned about the money, stick to higher value books to grade and that should help as a raw book in the $100-150 range will often go for $300 or so graded for the same grade. Then you are getting the value out of your grading.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:00 PM, scburdet said:

If they give too much information, they just open the floodgates to customers objecting to what often amounts as a judgement call. We can all agree what a crease is, but if there's a small spot on a spine, does that constitute a manufacturing defect or something that's damage? Lots things being decided on the margins.

I understand the concern. I want to give you an idea of the completeness with which the other place elucidates their 9.6 decisions, and the variety of descriptions given.

The following is a selection of xxxx's publicly available grader notes on various 9.6 comic books:

few small spine stress & tiny spine corner wear some breaks color

few small spine stress does not break color

few spine stress & tiny corner & edge wear to cover breaks color front cover

light crease top back cover barely breaks color

light spine stress barely breaks color

many small light spine stress does not break color

slight tanning on insert

small corner & edge wear does not break color

small corner crease top spine barely breaks color

small pen line middle right front cover

spine stress breaks color

spine stress breaks color & wear bottom spine

spine stress breaks color, small bend top edge back cover

tiny edge & corner wear

tiny spine stress & tiny wear top & bottom spine

tiny spine stress breaks color

tiny spine wear & stress breaks color

tiny tears top indented staple

tiny wear bottom spine breaks color

light spine stress
tiny corner wear

light spine stress barely breaks color
light pebbling back cover

small spine stress front & back cover & tiny edge bends/indents front cover some barely breaks color
light bends back cover

small thin slight sun shadow bottom back cover
tiny spine stress back cover

small wear bottom spine
small spine stress 1 breaks color

spine stress barely breaks color
light edge & corner wear, some barely breaks color

spine stress some breaks color
light wear bottom right corner front cover

tiny edge & corner wear, some breaks color
small crease top left front cover barely breaks color

tiny crease bottom left corner back cover breaks color
tiny wear bottom spine back cover breaks color

very tiny corner & edge wear to cover breaks color
few very tiny creases back cover 1 breaks color
small grease pencil "8" top left front cover

Full disclosure is an achievable goal.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:18 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Personally, he just seems very inexperienced to me

I have no idea what the actual CGC demographics are nor anything about OP, but I can confidently say that young collectors are rabid for variant covers and for CGC slabbing.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:43 PM, nino70 said:

Send my comic to cgc raw first time no pressed or clean got 9.6 No grader notes decided to send it to get clean and pressed and regrade and he came back the same 9.6 it would be OK if it was one book but 7 of them so I’m asking if they could tell me what’s wrong with the books I Pay so much I deserve at least that much

Cleaning and pressing a 9.6 book does not make it turn into a 9.8 book. Your 9.6 books are 9.6 because of some minute flaw. Would it be nice to know what that flaw is? Sure. But CGC doesn’t have time to notate it all. My guess is a minute bend, soft corner, light bit of edge wear or small scuff somewhere. Or and this is where people forget that they grade the entire book, perhaps a minute interior tear or bend

On 7/12/2022 at 4:22 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Cleaning and pressing a 9.6 book does not make it turn into a 9.8 book. Your 9.6 books are 9.6 because of some minute flaw. Would it be nice to know what that flaw is? Sure. But CGC doesn’t have time to notate it all. My guess is a minute bend, soft corner, light bit of edge wear or small scuff somewhere. Or and this is where people forget that they grade the entire book, perhaps a minute interior tear or bend

On moderns like that my money would be on color rub 90% of the time. 

On 7/12/2022 at 12:51 PM, KirbyTown said:

I have no idea what the actual CGC demographics are nor anything about OP, but I can confidently say that young collectors are rabid for variant covers and for CGC slabbing.

Hell yeah they are!!! Woot Woot

On 7/12/2022 at 1:26 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Reality: Is CGC not giving out 9.8 books like they used to? Yes

Also reality: Do a lot of younger collectors expect 9.8 books and think everything with a clean cover is an automatic 9.8? Also yes

Also also reality: I've submitted thousands of raw comics for a decade, and between silver and golden age have received just one back as a 9.8 :frown:. Was a golden ager at that :banana:. Don't see me complaining though, ok, maybe I'm a little depressed :roflmao:.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:17 AM, KirbyTown said:

Many people are driven to own "the best" of whatever they're interested in. In this case, the perceived scarcity of a 9.8 relative to lower grades is the driver of the demand. Whether that scarcity is manufactured is of course up for debate...

There are over twice as many Spawn #1 9.8's as there are 9.6's, yet the 9.8 goes for more than double what the 9.6 goes for. 

Heck, there's more 9.8's than there are all other grades combined! 

Weird. 

(shrug)