• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Cons
2 2

36 posts in this topic

I've only attended one Comic Con.  It was the San Diego CC in 2000.  I still have the program for it somewhere.  I didn't buy anything, or attend any events.  It was too crowded.  Now, 20 plus years later, my PTSD includes panic attacks if I'm in large crowds and people are too close to me.  I don't do Cons because of that, nor would I pay the money nowadays.  I'm a low-profile type of collector. lol

I have attended one before, and multiple of them, SDCC (that's San Diego Comic Con) 2004 was the best one for me.  

I won money playing a TCG, chatted with Ariel Olivetti, and amused Tim Sale by having him sign some trading cards (for which he did the art) that were in spanish.  And got a pretty good frisbee as a freebee.

I would note that as far as recommendations go, the world (and comic conventions) have probably changed a lot over the course of the pandemic, and the comic convention world has changed a lot over the last ten years, so what people may recommend for whatever reason may not be as applicable as one would hope.

My recommendation would be to find a place you want to go and have fun in anyways, and then make the comic con part of your trip, rather than the focus.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:41 AM, Galen130 said:

I've only attended one Comic Con.  It was the San Diego CC in 2000.  I still have the program for it somewhere.  I didn't buy anything, or attend any events.  It was too crowded.  Now, 20 plus years later, my PTSD includes panic attacks if I'm in large crowds and people are too close to me.  I don't do Cons because of that, nor would I pay the money nowadays.  I'm a low-profile type of collector. lol

Oh I can definitely see it could be overwhelming with all the people.  The dressing up could be fun.  Perhaps a ZOOM ComicCon?? :)  

On 7/12/2022 at 11:47 AM, Big Barda said:

Oh I can definitely see it could be overwhelming with all the people.  The dressing up could be fun.  Perhaps a ZOOM ComicCon?? :)  

I don't dress up...not my thing. (shrug)

On 7/12/2022 at 1:49 PM, Big Barda said:

Did you enjoy the smaller ones @theCapraAegagrus?

Yes. I actually recommend going to one before attending a larger event, just to prevent potentially overwhelming yourself. You could always network at local events and then re-meet acquaintances at the bigger cons. I haven't been to one in a few years, really want to get to a few in 2023 if life runs smoothly.

I posted about this in the thread, but I attended the "Collectors Summit" in Bellevue, WA at the end of May.  This was intended as a Con focused on comics - not cosplay, not movies, not toys, etc.  It had been about 4 decades since I had attended a Con, and this was a lot like that only nicer.  It was also relatively small which meant it couldn't be too overwhelmingly.  I found it a great experience, picked up a few books, met a few Boardies.  Fun.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I posted about this in the thread, but I attended the "Collectors Summit" in Bellevue, WA at the end of May.  This was intended as a Con focused on comics - not cosplay, not movies, not toys, etc.  It had been about 4 decades since I had attended a Con, and this was a lot like that only nicer.  It was also relatively small which meant it couldn't be too overwhelmingly.  I found it a great experience, picked up a few books, met a few Boardies.  Fun.

I'd attend something like that...low key, small crowd, nothing but comics.  It would have to be close by, like driving distance.  I don't fly anymore. (thumbsu

On 7/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Sounds like a great time and to meet some Boardies!

On 7/12/2022 at 2:45 PM, KirbyTown said:

Did anyone go to Heroes last month? The program showed about fifty comic book dealers and I was wondering if it was actually that full of back issues

Yes, best heroes show in years and I've been going since 1990 

If you want to go to a show but you are afraid of being overwhelmed by people, I suggest that you attend on Friday. There are far fewer people on Friday compared to Saturday and Sunday.

I have attended C2E2 in 2020 and Planet Comicon in Kansas City several times, the last being in April. I planned on staying for Friday and Saturday, but there were so few comic dealers that I left Friday afternoon.

Is there a show that REALLY focuses on comic books rather than cosplay, media guests, or products related to comic books?

I’ve been to a few. I went to a one day show in a small room in Minneapolis that was packed with ravenous collectors; and a giant venue with so few attendees you could have landed a helicopter inside it. 
I’d say the Chicago Con would be the one I’d most like to revisit.

On 7/12/2022 at 1:43 PM, revat said:

have attended one before, and multiple of them, SDCC (that's San Diego Comic Con) 2004 was the best one for me.  

2004 was the last SDCC I attended as well. Drank a bunch of margaritas at a cantina nearby then wandered in a haze around the convention floor. Good times.