• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC slab no inner well??

9 posts in this topic

I got a CGC slab that was graded on 05/19/2016.   There is no inner well.  Was this done during this time period?  

I am not the original owner.  The problem is the bottom of the slab is split and book is no longer protected and flat in the case.  My understanding CGC sandwich it between to Mylar sheets and relying on otter case to hold it together.  Since my case is split at bottom it’s no longer flat and protected.  

The book itself looks fine.

Can I pay to get a Re holder?? 

thanks for your help.

• Administrator

Hello!

This sounds like it would benefit from being Reholdered for sure. You can get the book Reholdered by submitting it via our online submission forms. Simply select the Reholder options when submitting. The fees for a Reholder are $20 per book plus shipping and handling. Thank you.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:34 AM, Comic carnival said:

Is there a option to pay extra for a express re holder to cut the TAT time down?

If your slab has no inner well, then you should be able to return the slab as a Mechanical Error. 

When CGC first transitioned to the new slab holders back in 2016, there was no inner well.  This started causing headaches for a number of us collectors because the books in those slabs had a wrinkly look to them.  But they were not damaged.  CGC quickly redesigned the holders so it would have an inner well.  CGC offered to replace slabs with no inner wells with the newer holder, free of charge. 

I had a similar situation earlier this year where I received a slab I purchased off eBay but had no inner well.  I checked and the book was graded in 2016.  So I took pictures of the slab and forwarded them to submissions@cgccomics.com and explained the situation.  They quickly responded and sent me instructions on how to return the slab to get it reholdered free of charge.

I don't know if the statute of limitations on replacing slabs with no inner wells free of charge has run out but perhaps @Jennifer F. can enlighten us?

Good luck!

Edited by workingdog
Wording

• Administrator
On 7/16/2022 at 11:34 AM, workingdog said:

If your slab has no inner well, then you should be able to return the slab as a Mechanical Error. 

When CGC first transitioned to the new slab holders back in 2016, there was no inner well.  This started causing headaches for a number of us collectors because the books in those slabs had a wrinkly look to them.  But they were not damaged.  CGC quickly redesigned the holders so it would have an inner well.  CGC offered to replace slabs with no inner wells with the newer holder, free of charge. 

I had a similar situation earlier this year where I received a slab I purchased off eBay but had no inner well.  I checked and the book was graded in 2016.  So I took pictures of the slab and forwarded them to submissions@cgccomics.com and explained the situation.  They quickly responded and sent me instructions on how to return the slab to get it reholdered free of charge.

I don't know if the statute of limitations on replacing slabs with no inner wells free of charge has run out but perhaps @Jennifer F. can enlighten us?

Good luck!

@Comic carnival This is correct. You can resubmit this as a Mechanical Error which would be a free re-holder service with an expedited turnaround time. We apologize for the confusion. I have updated @CMatthews on this situation. We apologize for any confusion. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

I have the same issue. I recently acquired three 9.8 slabs that have no inner well. They are just sandwiched between two mylar sheets. One is was graded in feb/2018 and the other two were graded in 2016. 

My friend had a slab with no inner well from 2016. It's graded at 9.8. He cracked it at a show to get it signed and it came back a lower grade. Because what happened is books that are only sandwiched between two mylar sheets can get warped over time and therefore might need pressing. So he complained to CGC and told them it was the faulty slabs that made the book that way. In the end CGC fixed the issue and gave him back the 9.8 grade for free. That was a few years ago. 

For me, I don't want to submit under mechanical error reholder and have my 9.8 books come back a lower grade due to the faulty slabs from 2016. Because the books might need pressing due to being sandwiched between two mylar sheets. Can I please get some advise or help on this ?

I have another with a different issue. This one has an inner well, but it has two small plastic shards floating inside between the inner mylar and the case. Would that qualify for mechanical error ?

Thanks very much! :)

• Administrator

Hello!

Thank you for reaching out. The book will need to be reviewed once it comes back for Mechanical Error as we have no way of knowing if the grade will decrease without first receiving it in hand. As for the second book with debris inside, please submit this as a Mechanical Error as well so we may reholder it for free and remove the debris. 

On 8/2/2022 at 7:40 AM, CMatthews said:

Hello!

Thank you for reaching out. The book will need to be reviewed once it comes back for Mechanical Error as we have no way of knowing if the grade will decrease without first receiving it in hand. As for the second book with debris inside, please submit this as a Mechanical Error as well so we may reholder it for free and remove the debris. 

Thank you very much! 

I filled out the Mechanical Error form online. I'm just waiting for CGC to email me an international (Canada) shipping label. It's been a week, and I'm still waiting for the shipping label. I think I should call CGC soon to find out why its taking them so long to email me a shipping label.