• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to remember something that I may have only imagined... a question for the old timers.

7 posts in this topic

I seem to remember a (sales?) thread that featured some of Edgar Church's original advertising pieces but I'm not sure if I'm remembering something else instead.

It's also possible that what I'm describing never existed here on the boards.

To make matters worse, I'm not sure if what I'm thinking about was from 4 years ago or 10... :(

The search function here isn't the best, but if you type out some key words in Google and follow them with the CGC site address, like so...

Capture.thumb.PNG.027ec218bc0cba77d6bb649c3dbeef89.PNG

...you'll get better results than if you searched via the site.

A few CGC threads below mention the words advertising / advertisement.

And this too, from Heritage:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/edgar-church-mile-high-collection-sale-listing-from-buyer-s-guide-to-comics-fandom-1977-/a/122119-13977.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

lf.thumb.jpg.d73bb6369cf6c59e2ecf6f774dca9f6d.jpg

Most examples probably sold at Heritage (don’t know if directly from Chuck or someone he sold them to) then was resold on eBay, maybe some here & elsewhere. Googling “Edgar Church Advertising Art” shows a bunch of it, some really nice examples… sample:

125C3885-5D5C-448C-BC94-6F35154EA789.jpeg

Thank you for the replies... I think I might be combining a couple of memories together. Maybe a sales thread featuring some original advertising by someone from the 30's mixed in with a discussion of Church. (shrug)

Church ad art was turning up fairly regularly in the weekly Heritage Auctions for a while several years ago. I don't follow OA closely enough to know whether it was all coming from a specific collection. If you search completed auctions you'll find hundreds of pieces. IIRC @Timely has sold some here on the boards, but I might be misremembering.

On 7/19/2022 at 6:13 AM, Pontoon said:

Church ad art was turning up fairly regularly in the weekly Heritage Auctions for a while several years ago. I don't follow OA closely enough to know whether it was all coming from a specific collection. If you search completed auctions you'll find hundreds of pieces. IIRC @Timely has sold some here on the boards, but I might be misremembering.

Edgar Church art.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?artist=Edgar+Church&GCat=25394