• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does SDCC live up to the hype and price point?

36 posts in this topic

So I'm relatively new to comics, and I've heard that as far as shows go, SDCC is the holy grail. I see some people pay crazy amounts of money to fly out and attend the con, not even mentioning the cost for basic entry. As a newer collector with zero grails, is it worth it to pay all this money? Is the experience justified?

This generation tends to enjoy more than just comics. Like seeing comic movie stars, artists, old actor photos/signatures, comic related merchandise (clothes, posters, toys, nostalgia), people. It's like a huge bazaar or cornucopia of comics related pop culture (anime, cosplay too).  However, the downside is it's expensive as heck and if you don't like to wade through tons of people or wait hours to hear a panel, it might not be your thing. It's pretty overwhelming, IMO.

Every person should visit SDCC at least once, if just for the experience. If you're younger, it's like having the thrill of going to big amusement parks (something not so fun when you get older). My nephew got interviewed for some saturday morning tv show while walking on the floor. Fun experience for him. It's just an overwhelming pop cultural experience.

If your goal is to buy comics at a good price, and you don't care about things that are not comics. I'd go to a smaller local show. Way less entry cost and hassle (like finding a place to stay, parking, or procuring tickets etc). And more about comics. But a very different experience.

Edited by bronze_rules

Attended SDCC for 25 straight years starting in the late eighties.  Last attended in 2019.  As previous posters stated, SDCC is more than a comic book convention.  Sadly, the smaller comic book vendors are not longer attending or were priced out.  The selection of rare comics is okay, but one can find most everything on one of the larger auction houses. SDCC comic book prices are sky high.  In 2019, since I had a vendor pass, I was buying comic books before any regular attendees go in the front door.  Saw a bunch of forum members buying up all the good stuff before the doors opened.

If I wanted to attend this year, one of my vendor friends would let me crash in his hotel room (the vast majority of the expense), but I wasn't interested.

Honestly, the costs are prohibitively high.  Costs will include flight or lottery parking, expensive lottery hotel room (jacked up prices for SDCC week), and the elusive SDCC pass.

Most regular attendees get a pass via lottery, though some vendors can get a very limited number of passes.  My buddies can get me a vendor pass, so I can bypass the two to three hour wait.  Entry with a vendor pass will not allow purchase of some of the the exclusives, but I get in early.

Have attended conventions since the early seventies and decided if I was no longer enjoying myself, I would just quit attending.  Attended many small conventions, but also WonderCon, Terry O's Cal Comic Con, Wizard Chicago, NYCC, London Super Comic Con, and OAF Con.  I regularly attend the Berkeley Comic Show run by our own House of Comics.  These days, I go to the conventions to renew old friendships.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:58 AM, BitterOldMan said:

I was buying comic books before any regular attendees go in the front door.  Saw a bunch of forum members buying up all the good stuff before the doors opened.

Even with smaller events here in the U.K., that’s always been a back-of-the-mind issue for me.  Yes, there’s still nice material to be found, but there’s also the knowledge that after all the time, effort and expense you’ve gone to, that to some degree it’s the leftover scraps. Same with a small, regional comic mart here as it would be for a large con such as San Diego, but, given the magnitude of the costs involved with the latter, and with fewer cheaper comic dealers attending, I’d expect meagre pickings after the pre-opening feeding frenzy.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/20/2022 at 10:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

As a relatively new person? Perhaps not, but not a definite no, less than a maybe.

Fondness and interest will be dependent on what knowledge you have. A sdcc would be a big embargo, and would offer little to someone who would be ignorant, imo, of what is in their heart for the hobby.

Like anything some may like lights and banners, but the back of this hobby rests on the like for comics. There may be more "options" at sdcc, but you can find the same at a LCS or small to medium size con. So there would be no "go big or go home" type of mentality for con attending, imo.

You may have exclusives or limited editions, but I would take a breather, as after the hubbub they may or may not be offered cheaper online later. At the very least youd see online what comes out of it by searching past sdcc exclusives. Some like to flip those, but there are genuine collectors too, so if you see something you "cant live without", go and attend.

After you have some comic cons and or visits to LCS under your belt, you may revisit the "options" part of sdcc.

More artists creators with prints original art and other "options". Cost of admission is steep for a newcomer, and you may just as well find the fondness and or other learning what you like and enjoy knowledge from smaller venues. No need to go through the big event so soon, as it may strain your relationship with the hobby, if done too soon. :cheers:

This right here is the best answer.

On 7/20/2022 at 8:58 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Attended SDCC for 25 straight years starting in the late eighties.  Last attended in 2019.  As previous posters stated, SDCC is more than a comic book convention.  Sadly, the smaller comic book vendors are not longer attending or were priced out.  The selection of rare comics is okay, but one can find most everything on one of the larger auction houses. SDCC comic book prices are sky high.  In 2019, since I had a vendor pass, I was buying comic books before any regular attendees go in the front door.  Saw a bunch of forum members buying up all the good stuff before the doors opened.

If I wanted to attend this year, one of my vendor friends would let me crash in his hotel room (the vast majority of the expense), but I wasn't interested.

Honestly, the costs are prohibitively high.  Costs will include flight or lottery parking, expensive lottery hotel room (jacked up prices for SDCC week), and the elusive SDCC pass.

Most regular attendees get a pass via lottery, though some vendors can get a very limited number of passes.  My buddies can get me a vendor pass, so I can bypass the two to three hour wait.  Entry with a vendor pass will not allow purchase of some of the the exclusives, but I get in early.

Have attended conventions since the early seventies and decided if I was no longer enjoying myself, I would just quit attending.  Attended many small conventions, but also WonderCon, Terry O's Cal Comic Con, Wizard Chicago, NYCC, London Super Comic Con, and OAF Con.  I regularly attend the Berkeley Comic Show run by our own House of Comics.  These days, I go to the conventions to renew old friendships.

I went to the 3rd one. Went to every one except 2 up until 2017. Was getting a dealer pass for $70. from a vendor buddy. Now they are $500. I believe. My buddy finally gave up his booth and I decided that was it. Just WAY to much money, crowds and hassle. Dealers were doubling up in booths and only bringing their top books. Box diving for a few deals was over. I was only their to buy vintage books and hanging out with old friends. 

Sitting it out again today. I really do miss it. But what I really miss is the show it used to be. I will get over it pretty easily.

For those who are there, have a blast. For those who have never been, it is truly an experience that you should do. If you have VERY deep pockets and a ton of patience.

Guess we are both Bitter old Men huh Ray? @BitterOldMan

On 7/21/2022 at 8:53 AM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I lived in San Diego for six years and never went to SDCC, though I had dinner with some Boardees when they came to town. 

If I lived there and didn’t have to pay for transportation, lodging, food, parking ect. I would probably be there. I’m sure “sticker shock” in the comic dealing area would dilute my purchases quite a bit though…

The last few cons I’ve been to in canada I found less bargains for comics and the days of hunting in bins for keys or great deals are over in my overall opinion. Most dealers now come with their high end stuff and most booths are now pop culture stuff. I still go but now my focus has shifted from buy comics to enjoying the other pop culture stuff. 

I’m guessing fan expo canada is Canada’s version of SDCC lol maybe try the great North mini con to get a taste of what SDCC is like. 

one day though I will have to go to SDCC 

I would like to go just once for the experience of it but first you have get a ticket and I would want a four day ticket/Pass (whatever you call it) and I hear that is tough to get.  Just one ticket for one day would definitely not be worth it and not enough time to soak it all in. 
It would be a lot of money to attend with airfare, sky rocket hotel prices if you want to stay close by and  I guess food is not cheap either.   I would do it but so far can't fit it into the schedule and come up with the scratch to go.. Something else always comes up and again, no ticket/pass to attend anyway.  
I also hear you have to book your hotel like a year in advance.  Again, I've never been so I don't know the in's and out's on how to plan and maximize my dollar to get the most out of it. 
Maybe next year...I say that every year..LOL! 

I've been twice, both in the late 90s, and I thought it was insanely huge then. From all appearances, it's gotten worse since.

Yeah, I'd agree that maybe you'd want to go sometime just for the experience and to say you did, but I'm not sure how good that experience is anymore.

I just looked up prices, $360 and up for a one-day pass, no thanks. I just realized it's been 25 years since I've been, and I think a Thursday pass was about $40 back then. 

If you have deep pockets and enjoy hobnobbing with other collectors and industry professionals, maybe so, but I can't see it myself. Back in the 90s it was worth the long drive down from LA  for the day, as before the internet changed collecting, you really could find a lot of stuff you'd been looking for, and at fair prices.  

About 12 years ago my oldest daughter, when she was in middle school, went for free with a friend whose mother was an animation exec and got comp tickets. I asked her to bring me back some swag, which of course she forgot to do, but she did say she had fun, even though she had pretty much zero interest in comics, so I guess it's still pretty much an "event" if that's what you are looking for.