• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC ruined my book during private signing
1 1

28 posts in this topic

I understand the disappointment, but even if Cgc was nearly perfect, would they be in business if they handed out refunds (full or partial) every time a book was graded .5 lower than expected by the submitter?  And that’s without even considering a signer who is not an employee of Cgc handling the book.

that doesn’t mean bad service or damage is ok, but make your concerns known to Cgc and let them know you won’t be using their services anymore.  That is the only option, as sucky as that is

On 7/22/2022 at 11:31 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

Is that not the case everywhere? 

Go to a go-kart track, they make you sign a liability waiver 

Go to a trampoline park, they make you sign a liability waiver 

Go to a haunted house, they make you sign a liability waiver 

They all make you sign waivers, yet they are all packed with customers day in day out.  Same with CGC, tens of thousands of books waiting to be graded.  People ain't gonna stop using CGC as generally they get a good product back.  If 1 person stops using CGC because they messed up their book, they won't even notice.  

I agree in part, but a go-kart track and a trampoline park (even a haunted house) is quite a bit different in that you have much more control. Those companies can't control if you decide to drive the go-kart off the track and into a building. Your comic books are entrusted to CGC and then the person signing them to which CGC can take every precaution to ensure to the best of their ability that nothing happens to your books. And thinking on the trampoline thing, (same for the go-kart) I'm pretty sure that injury due to equipment malfunction isn't covered by the waiver. There have been several amusement parks that have been successfully sued for negligence due to their rides malfunctioning (which when buying a ticket, you are agreeing to the terms of the park), and trampoline parks, etc. Automobile companies have been sued for people doing things that people agree not to do (clicking the "I will keep my hands on the steering wheel and be alert" waiver when using Tesla's incorrectly named 'Autopilot' feature and then jumping in the back seat, reading a book, taking a nap, etc.) and it's hit or miss which way the lawsuit ends up going.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:31 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

They all make you sign waivers, yet they are all packed with customers day in day out.  Same with CGC, tens of thousands of books waiting to be graded.  People ain't gonna stop using CGC as generally they get a good product back.  If 1 person stops using CGC because they messed up their book, they won't even notice.  

Oddly enough no waiver at the Bunny Ranch

On 7/22/2022 at 6:31 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

Oh, what a pity you had the same problem with your collectible comic book. I also found myself in a similar situation when I asked a friend to sign my favorite book. But unfortunately he messed it up a bit and I was very upset. I understand how hard it is for you now, because such books are important for all of us. I recently read about romeo and juliet, found a free essay on romeo and juliet for this. I decided after that to get myself an old copy of the book. But I can’t find it, or I find it but the price is too high. I don't have a very large collection. Mostly I have comics. I want to add something else to it.

With this I agree
Edited by estrellmamone2

Pre-Covid, I had no problems until I stopped using SS things after 2018 before the pandemic. Stan Lee is gone, Desert Wind Comics had billing problems inconsistently with me, Neal Adams increasing fee for CGC signing few times in a short time and NY Comics started problems. I finally am done with SS. 

During the pandemic,  I have seen the videos of SS on CGC website and FB and heard many problems during SS procedures.  It's not a good sign to have SS for your books and it's got expensive. It's your own risk to send your books for SS.  It sounds like not worthy to hassle it.

I always brought books to the conventions for SS.  After signing my books, CGC witnesses walked with me to CGC booth and they allowed me to pull my books out of the bags with the windows and put them into the regular bags. That was what I did for years.  Only small handful of books I submitted to NY Comics, Desert Winds and one CGC facilitator (he is a board member here). They did a good job to take care of my books.  

It sounds like CGC hired too many young amateurs to handle your books during SS. Maybe too many books were laying down on the table inside the warehouse or lobby that may lead to some accidents to damage some books. I saw the videos from CGC and I don't like it little bit.  Once again, it's not worthy risk to send your books for SS.

You can't see how they handle your books. I'd rather to bring my books myself.

Edited by JollyComics