• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC ruined my book in private signing

5 posts in this topic

I submitted a brand new Silver Surfer Rebirth #1 to CGC for the Mico Suayan private signing and remarking, paying $150 for the service. I received the book from BigTimeCollectibles, and it was in excellent condition. I took a picture of it and checked it over to make sure it was a 9.8, and it was, so I send it off. I don’t send ANY modern books in unless they are at least a 9.8/9.6. I receive the book back, and it’s graded at 9.2 (Grader’s Notes: light staining on the cover). I know, for a fact, there was not a stain on the cover! There doesn’t even appear to be a stain in encapsulation. I have emailed and called CGC to try to figure out what went wrong and how to get this rectified, but have not received a satisfactory answer yet. I got in touch with one agent who said someone’s book had recently been ruined when a handler/artist spilled hand sanitizer on it! What the hell?? I know you sign a waiver, but, to me, that means minor dings, not someone STAINING YOUR BOOK! This is absolutely careless and ridiculous on the part of CGC. I’ve also included pictures of multiple stress marks that were not there and the comparison image I took before sending it off. I don’t send books to you to destroy, CGC! At least have the decency to refund the signing/remarking. I didn’t pay $150 to havemy book “stained.” Someone needs to answermy inquiry, and you need to correct this, CGC!

197043D4-ADCF-401D-BECF-329E6B712E5E.jpeg

2291F664-51A1-4ECA-B7E3-8C0B4B7B7F73.png

59388212-E8CE-42A8-93BB-EB0DE5319FFE.jpeg

E5EF003A-E292-4A51-9059-4CCB93F49D8B.png

245B6D7E-70A8-47A4-A895-3F71E3214594.jpeg

2C4B3E74-E442-4501-AAC1-F866D9AF591D.png

599F14D1-1623-486D-9961-DB7FB9FBC599.jpeg

Never seen that cover before, it is a very cool book.

Your story is a perfect example of what can happen if you send a book for signing and encapsulation. Once the book leaves your possession it is at risk to a wide variety of threats. Sorry it happened.

This is my biggest fears for submitting for signings now.

I miss the old days of holding my own book, going to get it signed myself, with a witness present, handing it to the artist, taking the book back, putting it in a top loader, and still praying that it comes back undamaged.

I've had more successes and 9.8s through personal signings than mail in signing submissions, bar none.