• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody else getting Sig Series Slabs back that are NOT SEALED?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Just got 6 books back from Brian M. Bendis Signing: Very disappointing grades on all but 2 (9.8s), which would be great if CGC had bothered to seal their cases. Only the 9.8s are unsealed. The worst has what I think is a very unhealthy 2.5 mm gap in the top of the case, exposing the book to all kinds of things. I tried to use a ruler to measure this from the top this but ended up just placing the ruler between the label and the plastic--there was a lot of room—so I hope you can see it. The 2nd book is not quite as bad. Please see the photos below. If I do try to get CGC to fix this, will they charge me to re-holder (their own defective or poorly processed case)? Will they charge me for re-holdering & shipping?  Also, can they wreck the books while "fixing" or re-holdering— and change the grades? My books have been getting horrible grades lately, mostly SS 9.4s on what used to be 9.8s. Problems that are NOT in my original photographs. NO Grader notes. Please advise. Thanks!

image.thumb.jpeg.f647466353c9afdf34502fc73973249a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.93616a3337329b79a7597eaee3343a9e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8255b614035f2862ccd0846d56280fb1.jpeg

There is an option to submit online as a "Mechanical Error" and that will give you a pre-paid label and they'll do shipping back too.

There is a risk, yes, and you'll have to waive liability.

Before you submit, contact them with photos to make sure whatever it is will be covered and to find out how to fill the online form the way they want.

877-662-6642

submissions@cgccomics.com

Edited by KirbyTown

I don't think the cases are sealed along 100% of the perimeter, just mainly sonic-welded at the corners.  They are pretty easy to crack open, but certainly evident that you did by the corners becoming "un-welded" and likely cracked.  That's why they are advertised to be "tamper-evident". 

The comic itself is in an inner capsule that is sealed around 100% of the perimeter.

On 7/22/2022 at 7:32 PM, jokiing said:

The gaps do seem unusually wide.... Most of the risk will be from shipping back and forth. I've sent many books back for fixes and usually things turn out OK, most of the time.

Did they end up telling you which of the two radio-buttons to select and if you're supposed to leave a comment?

On 7/22/2022 at 5:36 PM, KirbyTown said:

Did they end up telling you which of the two radio-buttons to select and if you're supposed to leave a comment?

Say what???? .... Not sure what you're asking.

On 7/22/2022 at 7:44 PM, jokiing said:

Say what???? .... Not sure what you're asking.

I was referencing the post below where you mentioned the limited selections for an ME return. I was wondering if maybe you received instructions on how to use the buttons and/or comment box to describe your own return reason.

DA9AF09B-8587-4FFF-A615-73BE09C9C1AB.jpeg.068aca92401a87f38b0ca976e87d4e24.jpeg

Well, CGC is not going to have a button suggesting that they caused the damage or missed QC issues so given the choice one just describes the issue and hope it's fixed. They know were the problem lays but adding a third "Reason for return"  button isn't in their interest. I use a sharpie to circle the problem on the slab so that they can't miss it or forget to fix it.

Edited by jokiing

On 7/23/2022 at 1:24 PM, jokiing said:

Well, CGC is not going to have a button suggesting that they caused the damage or missed QC issues so given the choice one just describes the issue and hope it's fixed. They know were the problem lays but adding a third "Reason for return"  button isn't in their interest. I use a sharpie to circle the problem so that they can't miss it or forget to fix it.

I understand. Sorry for all the following questions, I'm just trying to understand the specifics of the process you used and whether it worked:

Have you submitted for a QC problem since they changed to these new selections?

If so, which button did you select before writing your comments?

Did they still provide you the shipping label and cover shipping both ways?

Finally, did they fix the problem?

Thanks for your time, jokiing!

Edited by KirbyTown

I noticed the change in form just the other day when I had to return 22 out of 25 books for various reasons. Since none of them involved clerical errors only choice was Damaged in Transit and I described the issue with each as I entered them via cert #.

No other changes to procedure as far I can tell. CGC picked up shipping and should do the same sending them back. Three books were damaged so hopefully I'll hear from CGC before they ship them back. Rest of the slabs had excessive Newton Rings, some both front and back.

On 7/23/2022 at 3:15 PM, jokiing said:

I noticed the change in form just the other day when I had to return 22 out of 25 books for various reasons. Since none of them involved clerical errors only choice was Damaged in Transit and I described the issue with each as I entered them via cert #.

No other changes to procedure as far I can tell. CGC picked up shipping and should do the same sending them back. Three books were damaged so hopefully I'll hear from CGC before they ship them back. Rest of the slabs had excessive Newton Rings, some both front and back.

I appreciate the info so much; please update when you know any results

On 7/22/2022 at 8:21 PM, Lightning55 said:

I don't think the cases are sealed along 100% of the perimeter, just mainly sonic-welded at the corners.  They are pretty easy to crack open, but certainly evident that you did by the corners becoming "un-welded" and likely cracked.  That's why they are advertised to be "tamper-evident". 

The comic itself is in an inner capsule that is sealed around 100% of the perimeter.

Thanks for that great info. The slabs are also quite warped, because they are not sealed on the top.

On 7/22/2022 at 8:21 PM, KirbyTown said:

There is an option to submit online as a "Mechanical Error" and that will give you a pre-paid label and they'll do shipping back too.

There is a risk, yes, and you'll have to waive liability.

Before you submit, contact them with photos to make sure whatever it is will be covered and to find out how to fill the online form the way they want.

877-662-6642

submissions@cgccomics.com

Thanks so much.

On 7/22/2022 at 8:36 PM, KirbyTown said:

On 7/23/2022 at 1:09 AM, KirbyTown said:

I was referencing the post below where you mentioned the limited selections for an ME return. I was wondering if maybe you received instructions on how to use the buttons and/or comment box to describe your own return reason.

DA9AF09B-8587-4FFF-A615-73BE09C9C1AB.jpeg.068aca92401a87f38b0ca976e87d4e24.jpeg

Oh no! 🫠 Thank you though…

On 7/23/2022 at 2:24 PM, jokiing said:

Well, CGC is not going to have a button suggesting that they caused the damage or missed QC issues so given the choice one just describes the issue and hope it's fixed. They know were the problem lays but adding a third "Reason for return"  button isn't in their interest. I use a sharpie to circle the problem on the slab so that they can't miss it or forget to fix it.

I’m a bit nervous about marking the slab. They might say l damaged it. Could l mark it with a bit of blue tape?

On 7/23/2022 at 4:15 PM, jokiing said:

Some of mine have excessive Newton rings too. 22 returns on 25! That is awful.   

On 7/27/2022 at 4:46 AM, G-MANIII said:

Thanks so much.

Any idea how long it takes to get the books back?

l rea

On 7/27/2022 at 2:14 AM, G-MANIII said:

Some of mine have excessive Newton rings too. 22 returns on 25! That is awful.   

Any idea how long it takes to get the books back?

They have been pretty quick at about 2 weeks, plus the one day shipping. Don't forget to mark the box with "ME" on all sides or it will take a lot longer.

.... and marking with blue tape is a good alternative.

Edited by jokiing