• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's AVENGERS: DOOMSDAY directed by the Russo brothers (2026)
11 11

472 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2024 at 1:35 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Hickman’s Avengers and Secret Wars saga was great, but it will be interesting to see if they can, out of budgetary necessity, scale it down while not making a confusing mess of it. Hope it works if they go full in this direction.

The need to cast The Molecule Man. He's integral to that storyline.

On 8/1/2024 at 11:12 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Moms throwing out baseball card and comic collections - it's the same thing all over again!

Heard!

Disney has heard Moms & promises to rewrite all MCU characters.

DOOM will now be a mom. 

Represent!

On 8/1/2024 at 7:24 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

The need to cast The Molecule Man. He's integral to that storyline.

Agreed. One of my favourite characters.

On 8/2/2024 at 9:10 AM, Bosco685 said:

...and Falcon becomes the most powerful being in that universe.

:ohnoez::pullhair::ohnoez:

Second most powerful...

image.png.d33377494d70b8795876be7c24f46118.png

Mackie good. Cheadle bad.

War Machine good. Falcon bad.

Falcon Cap good.

Cheadle still bad.

I don’t recall him being particularly intimidating in Marvel films.

He’d have to dial it up a bit for this character.

On 8/1/2024 at 11:18 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I imagine a huge amount of people reject the idea, but I think that RDJ is going to purposefully bring something that is not Stark-derivative to the Doom role. I'll admit - might be a bit naive to think that far into the clouds - but that's what I think his plan is. It's not like RDJ is my buddy or anything, but I can't imagine this guy - regardless of money in the bank account - who plows the road he did in his career only to phone it in or make a lackluster effort at doing something unique with the opportunity he has. I believe that he believes he's going to be doing something very different. I'll take his side in that vision, and see what happens.

The whole problem with RDJ playing Doom is the  villan always loses in the end.  Love or hate Endgame, Ironman made the ultimate sacrifice and went out a hero.  Not only a hero, but the most important hero in the MCU. He defeated the biggest big bad. 

In no senerio can I see him returning to the MCU, reportedly getting paid over $100 million to come back, and playing a character that must eventually lose. A character that must by definition go out on a low note. So there must be a big twist planned. Either, this is a Stark varient, a version of Doom the repents and saves the day,  or some other variation where the character again in the most important one in the MCU. Otherwise, it downgrades RDJ's former role in the MCU, and I do not see him letting that happen.

On 9/4/2024 at 6:56 AM, drotto said:

The whole problem with RDJ playing Doom is the  villan always loses in the end.  Love or hate Endgame, Ironman made the ultimate sacrifice and went out a hero.  Not only a hero, but the most important hero in the MCU. He defeated the biggest big bad. 

In no senerio can I see him returning to the MCU, reportedly getting paid over $100 million to come back, and playing a character that must eventually lose. A character that must by definition go out on a low note. So there must be a big twist planned. Either, this is a Stark varient, a version of Doom the repents and saves the day,  or some other variation where the character again in the most important one in the MCU. Otherwise, it downgrades RDJ's former role in the MCU, and I do not see him letting that happen.

A valid point, but perhaps Doom is going to transform from the villain to the anti-hero. They wrote Thanos as a sort of sympathetic villain, and (hopefully) they will write Doom to be his own unique character, not just a comparable to Thanos and how Thanos was successful in terms of audience reaction. I agree, RDJ is not going to just let his acting legacy in the MCU be subverted with a lackluster character - I believe they have something interesting lined up that will make the role be as standout and special as Iron Man. 

Is this a case of Marvel overthinking it and expecting the audience to go ga-ga over RDJ's performance of the character with their standard approach they've been using? Man, I sure hope not - because Marvel has a litany of poor character developments that they thought were gonna be the cat's pajamas and they fell on their face. I can only hope that they can see the forest for the trees with the Doom character.

On 9/4/2024 at 10:12 AM, Dr. Balls said:

A valid point, but perhaps Doom is going to transform from the villain to the anti-hero.

Of course! 

And he has worked both WITH and against heroes and is a far more complex 'villain' than almost any other. 

Sometimes when I read comments about the future MCU (and this isn't directed at anyone in particular), it's as though many people haven't spent a lifetime reading comics. The possibilities are endless. I just hope Marvel does it right. 

On 9/4/2024 at 8:34 AM, VintageComics said:

Of course! 

And he has worked both WITH and against heroes and is a far more complex 'villain' than almost any other. 

Sometimes when I read comments about the future MCU (and this isn't directed at anyone in particular), it's as though many people haven't spent a lifetime reading comics. The possibilities are endless. I just hope Marvel does it right. 

Thanos has always been my personal favorite villain since I got into his storylines back in the 90's, but I agree that Doom will be the most fleshed-out, ubiquitous villain the MCU has brought over from the comics. I have high hopes for the scope and scale of his movie presence. Can Marvel bring what the fans deserve? I surely hope so - they have a lot of teachable moments to learn from for the past few years in what audiences want to see out of the antagonist.

On 9/4/2024 at 10:40 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I have high hopes for the scope and scale of his movie presence. Can Marvel bring what the fans deserve?

I don't have high hopes, frankly.

The way they're signaling the Doom stuff in the upcoming Avengers movies sort of feels like a B movie tactic, where they give away too much with the intro.

I could be wrong, and they could have 20 movies worth of quality twists and turns lined up, but right now it feels a little shallow to me. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/4/2024 at 8:45 AM, VintageComics said:

I could be wrong, and they could have 20 movies worth of quality twists and turns lined up, but right now it feels a little shallow to me. 

The way Marvel has treated it's audience, this is a valid observation. I kind of feel the same way. I'm not much of Doom fan in terms of knowing too many details of his character. I'm cheering for some great planning and rollout strategy so that when it finally comes time for X-Men, they have another success under their belt with Doom, rather than a string of failures that pushes them forward out of necessity for survival on my beloved mutant franchise.

On 9/4/2024 at 10:49 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I'm not much of Doom fan in terms of knowing too many details of his character.

He's a benevolent dictator in Latvia, the Tony Stark / Bruce Wayne of the dark side - a wealthy super genius, perfectionist who's not afraid of making tough decisions for the greater good (like Thanos), and his genius makes him very manipulative and conniving. 

He's stolen the Surfer's powers in the SA, stolen the Beyonder's powers in the MA (Secret Wars), and has been a constant foil in storytelling throughout the Marvel universe. 

There's a reason Doom has been interwoven throughout Marvel's entire history, across most titles and that complexity makes for great storytelling if done right.  

The story that stuck out with me is when he tried to trade Dr. Strange for his mother's soul and then screws Mephisto over. Now that I type that, I have to reread that story, because if I recall - it's pretty awesome. Doom has incredible potential to be a huge, elaborate, deep character.

On 9/4/2024 at 10:12 AM, Dr. Balls said:

A valid point, but perhaps Doom is going to transform from the villain to the anti-hero.

That's Bendis's Infamous Iron Man storyline.  Stark was thought to be dead for a while, and Doom stepped into his place and used his tech as an infamously unlikely hero that nobody believed in for the first half of the storyline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infamous_Iron_Man

That storyline is the immediate one that jumped to mind when I heard about the RDJ casting.  The obvious twist here is that story from the comics was all in the 616 universe with Vic being a separate human from Tony, but now we've got RDJ sort of playing both roles.  How they make that feel satisfying is a mystery.  hm

On 9/4/2024 at 11:19 AM, Dr. Balls said:

The story that stuck out with me is when he tried to trade Dr. Strange for his mother's soul and then screws Mephisto over. Now that I type that, I have to reread that story, because if I recall - it's pretty awesome. Doom has incredible potential to be a huge, elaborate, deep character.

Forgot to mention, Doom also has ties to Mephisto so that's another angle.