• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Goblin, or Cornrows McCrazy's New Look.

12 posts in this topic

Hello All!

Any Spider-Man fans here? No? Just me? :bigsmile:

So the Spider-Man/X-Men Dark Web crossover event is coming up, and we're getting some new/old goodness. It looks like Norman Osborn is getting a new suit as Gold Goblin; so aside from repping Notre Dame, he's going on another "I'm a hero now" bender. Spider-Man is also getting a new suit, an Oscorp provided getup that mixes his traditional Spider-Man abilities/tech with Goblin tech (bombs, spider-glider, etc.). Goblin Queen, a new Hobgoblin, maybe they'll finally figure out how to resolve the Shriek/Demogoblin kiddie cult thing...and some X-Men stuff.

So, aside from the 1,000,000,000 variant covers, is anyone excited for this? I feel like the last couple years of material out of the Spider-Man office has been a game of Red Light/Green Light. "Ok, let's use Carnage! Ok, now switch to Green Goblin! Ok, now lets do Carnage-Goblin!" Wash, rinse, repeat. I guess they still have the Extremebiote (Note: :facepalm:) running around, Iron Man armor possessed by the spirit of Cletus Kassidy, so they could always make Norman Dark Iron Patriot or something...

My opinion, I could be wrong.

Well, they've already announced the Gold Goblin ongoing series, so they're obviously happy with what they've got. 

On 7/26/2022 at 12:35 PM, Cat said:

Well, they've already announced the Gold Goblin ongoing series, so they're obviously happy with what they've got. 

And 😂 and haha I just got the queen goblin graded and thought I was through except the first green goblin on first appearance doh!

But wait there is more!  :insane:

Wasn't there a kid goblin somewhere in #796-800? I have red and etc I don't have demogoblin now that I think about it either. :sorry:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/27/2022 at 4:00 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Wasn't there a kid goblin somewhere in #796-700? I have red and etc I don't have demogoblin now that I think about it either. :sorry:

Wasn't that Red Goblin? 

On 7/26/2022 at 1:12 PM, Cat said:

Wasn't that Red Goblin? 

Yes at least that

On 7/26/2022 at 1:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Wasn't there a kid goblin somewhere in #796-700? I have red and etc I don't have demogoblin now that I think about it either. :sorry:

but also the kid or grandson of norman his eyes glow red in like #800 :cheers: 

I haven't kept up with moderns for quite some time, but I've wondered if the endless regurgitation of the same concepts (Spider-Gwen, Gwenpool, Red Goblin at Marvel, various Joker and Bat spinoffs at DC) was due to creators wanting to make something new, but also not wanting to give Marvel/Disney or DC/Warner their original creations, since they won't see any money on the back-end. So, just re-use the same old stuff to make "new" characters, and keep the original characters for that big Image/Kickstarter/whatever payday. 

On 7/27/2022 at 7:55 AM, F For Fake said:

I haven't kept up with moderns for quite some time, but I've wondered if the endless regurgitation of the same concepts (Spider-Gwen, Gwenpool, Red Goblin at Marvel, various Joker and Bat spinoffs at DC) was due to creators wanting to make something new, but also not wanting to give Marvel/Disney or DC/Warner their original creations, since they won't see any money on the back-end. So, just re-use the same old stuff to make "new" characters, and keep the original characters for that big Image/Kickstarter/whatever payday. 

I wish it were that sought after! I don't suggest the Key Collector app, however the app keeps track of 1st App of "new" characters every year. There have been like 150 in 2020 then another 150 in 202 and same track for 2022 (thumbsu

The reason that you hear about the goblins and etc, is probably because they're the bigger "eye-roll" lol funny books! :sumo: 

On 7/27/2022 at 8:55 AM, F For Fake said:

I think that's exactly right, but is just the current incarnation of a long-time trend.  I think it's in the same vein as Pacific Comics getting Kirby to do Captain Victory and Silver Star, the original Image Revolution of 1992, etc.  So many times we're seeing creators on flagship Big Two titles also releasing their innovative ideas through Image, Boom, IDW, whatever.  Whether or not those ideas stick long-term, it's generally stuff that would've been published by DC or Marvel in the 60s or 80s.  

Plus, consider the urge to increase sales by promoting a new 1st appearance.  So there's a push to introduce new things, but also a reluctance to lose control of a potential "next Walking Dead" sized payday.  Thus, we keep getting things that are more and more derivative and rehashed.  

So far, it looks like fans are bowing out while speculators keep coming back for more.  I remember being in an argument over DC's Punchline character where the announcement of her ongoing series was proof that she was here to stay.  Seems like every month is a big announcement of something, or a rush to buy based on movie or TV appearances.  One thing no one wants to talk about any more is buying to read the story...

On 7/27/2022 at 1:55 PM, F For Fake said:

Not wanting to get done over by Marvel and DC’s ‘work-for-hire and that’s it’ policy has led not just to creators withholding their new characters but having them give you far more variety in material over at Image, and far more interesting material that’s outside the house styles of the big two.  The reader isn’t really losing out once you know where to go.  Certainly far easier to get your head around than the confusing and mind-numbing description above, with all its permutations of Goblins, Hobgoblins and Demogoblins. Gave up on paying attention with that content, and also kills interest in the development of Norman Osborn as a character.  Just left with the conclusion that I couldn’t be bothered with what Marvel do with him in future, as it feels like change for the sake of change, the illusion of change, small changes to the colour of the costume, an evil character is suddenly on the other side, back and forth, let’s throw any idea at the wall and see what sticks. And, that same response can be applied to any character in the same situation.

It’s all a lot less convoluted and more interesting if you focus on the indie and creator-owned material.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/27/2022 at 12:18 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Not wanting to get done over by Marvel and DC’s ‘work-for-hire and that’s it’ policy has led not just to creators withholding their new characters but having them give you far more variety in material over at Image, and far more interesting material that’s outside the house styles of the big two.  The reader isn’t really losing out once you know where to go.  Certainly far easier to get your head around than the confusing and mind-numbing description above, with all its permutations of Goblins, Hobgoblins and Demogoblins. Gave up on paying attention with that content, and also killed my interest in the development of Norman Osborn as a character.  Just left with the conclusion that I couldn’t be bothered with what Marvel do with him in future, as it feels like change for the sake of change, the illusion of change, small changes to the colour of the costume, an evil character is suddenly on the other side, back and forth, let’s throw any idea at the wall and see what sticks.

It’s all a lot less convoluted and more interesting if you focus on the indie and creator-owned material.

100%.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, Norman Osborn died a looooong time ago. Anything beyond that, I remain agnostic.

On 7/26/2022 at 10:44 AM, BabaLament said:

So, aside from the 1,000,000,000 variant covers, is anyone excited for this?

Are you?

Didn't you just post that you were getting out of comic collecting?