• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-man's Next Villian in The Third Movie..."Sandman" Official

92 posts in this topic

I think that Sam Raimi and his brother will ultimately write a -script that would make this installment of this third movie work for the charactors and story to work.

By the way I just notice that Flint M. right forearm is bigger then the left,maybe he is flexing his "sand-muscles"...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

I think JC is right. Sandman is a very bad choice. crazy.gif

Only if he's the "main Bad-Guy".

I see him as a second tier criminal, giving someone for Spidey to chase around for half the movie while developing the plot around Harry becoming the new Green Goblin (Hobgoblin/or whatever they call'em). Or maybe Venom gets into the act in this one... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think that Sam Raimi and his brother will ultimately write a -script that would make this installment of this third movie work for the charactors and story to work.

Translation: Looks like Sandman is dating Aunt May. 27_laughing.gif

I think its odd that they are using Sandman's actual costume. I mean, that T-shirt has been out of style for 40 years. 27_laughing.gif

Yeah...

Horizonal stripes is so 1960s.

But I love it! cloud9.gif

I might get a shirt like that if I can find one... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My inclination is that it's not a good choice. I would have preferred Electro or the Lizard, even the Scorpion.

I would rather they keep werewolves and space aliens out of it, and stick with science gone wrong....but that's just me.

I'll still bet on Raimi pulling this off though. thumbsup2.gif

With Lizard, Electro and Scorpion, cool as they may be, you won't see the actor's faces properly (or at all in the case of the Lizard). And if you want to create a sympathetic, tragic or just plain interesting villain, it's important to see the character's face properly.

Mick Foley's first book, "Have A Nice Day" contains an illuminating discussion of this very theme. Are there masked wrestlers? Sure. Does anyone ever care about them? Hardly ever. In 90% of cases being given a masked persona is the kiss of death re: audience giving a 893censored-thumb.gif about you.

I'm happy with the choices of villain and actor to play him! Hurrah! yay.gif

With Lizard, Electro and Scorpion, cool as they may be, you won't see the actor's faces properly (or at all in the case of the Lizard). And if you want to create a sympathetic, tragic or just plain interesting villain, it's important to see the character's face properly.

Mick Foley's first book, "Have A Nice Day" contains an illuminating discussion of this very theme. Are there masked wrestlers? Sure. Does anyone ever care about them? Hardly ever. In 90% of cases being given a masked persona is the kiss of death re: audience giving a 893censored-thumb.gif about you.

I don't think there is anything wrong with not seeing the villain's face..

as long as they put the right mask on him.

green_goblin.jpg

There is a truth to this...and you could apply it also to Spidey/Peter Parker.

Spidey with mask=tough,hard,can handle anything

PP without mask=dorky,awkward,vulnerable.

So yes...I would agree with you on that thumbsup2.gif

"In 90% of cases being given a masked persona is the kiss of death re: audience giving a about you."

That quote applies to spidey/peter parker?

Are you taking Krazykat pills this morning? 27_laughing.gif

I'm making the point to illustrate the difference between perceptions when a character is in a mask/takes the mask off foreheadslap.gifthumbsup2.gif

He looks perfect! Why do you say the sandman is a terrible choice?

A) He is not a key Spider-man villain (more FF)

B) Sandman hardly a compelling villain in the first place (one-note Sandy)

C) Has rarely been featured in animated/alternative Spider-man media

D) There are far better choices out there - Spidey's rogues gallery is the best

E) Sandman has always worked better in bad guy team-ups - solo he sucks

Basically, with integral, and far more interesting, Spider-man villains like Lizard, Scorpion, Venom, Hobgoblin, Elektro, (hell, even Mysterio), etc. waiting in the wings, I find Sandman a very strange choice, especially from Raimi who supposedly "knows the comics upside down".

Plus, in order to spice Marko up for the movie, they'll need to change everything about the character, making him some romantic rival for MJ, the brother of Betty Brant, Aunt May's illegitimate son, J.Jonah Jameson's nephew.... - something, anything to artificially link him to Spidey and "make it personal". foreheadslap.gif

I disagree with most of your points. In fact I believe the opposite to be true. I've always thought of Sandman as one of Spider-man's main villans. He started out in Spider-man and I believe he's fought Spider-Man more often. I still remember him quite a bit in the Spider-man cartoons. (Remember when they turned him into glass) I certainly haven't seen him in any FF cartoons. I've always thought of him better as a solo guy. But the only thing I'm worried about is the CG. It could be an easy villian to screw up.

Except in Mexican wrestling.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif THAT would explain why one forearm is bigger than the other... 27_laughing.gif

Ok,.... but pretty much every villain I can think of...you don't see their face...and most of the time they're pretty compelling. confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In all of the Superman movies the villains faces could be seen, no masks.

In all of the X-men movies the villains faces could be seen, no masks.

In Spider-man 2 the villains face could be seen, no mask

In all the Batman movies, most of the villians faces could be seen, the exception being Catwoman.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif THAT would explain why one forearm is bigger than the other... 27_laughing.gif

So he's right handed? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif