• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you list anything on CAF as historic...
1 1

108 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2022 at 4:39 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I don’t collect for prestige, or value. Hell, if I did, I would not have picked the Phantom Stranger as a focus. At the very least, maybe Zatanna, so I could justify commissions which appeal to my prurient interests. Let me add that I don’t particularly like most of that highly coveted Marvel art from the Silver Age, so its sale prices are meaningless, if not downright ridiculous to me. So, buy what you like and the hell with what anyone thinks (unless you are married and the cost comes out of the family budget, but you can always retort about the cost of a pedicure in defense). 

I hear you. That said, the reason to post pieces on CAF is for other people to look at them. So I do think about unintended effects of what and how I am presenting my collection.

Edited by RBerman

On 7/29/2022 at 4:30 PM, comix4fun said:

So, what you're saying is, it is your theory that in order for someone to be able to freely make comments of a critical nature, without fear of repercussions, that it helps for you, "Race", to be anonymous. 

hm So, this means you've developed something of a Critical Race Theory

I, for one, was appreciative of this pun, but I didn’t want to react to it because things couldn’t have gotten more tense even if you had put Mr White and Mr Blonde in the same room. 

On 7/31/2022 at 4:59 PM, John E. said:

I, for one, was appreciative of this pun, but I didn’t want to react to it because things couldn’t have gotten more tense even if you had put Mr White and Mr Blonde in the same room. 

And I was hoping it could knock the tension down …but we were running four parallel arguments on this thread by that point 

On 8/1/2022 at 7:55 AM, Deputy said:

Things will improve now that I don't have to keep deleting the posts containing your creepy comments on the BSG pages that I won't sell you.    

Battlestar Galactica? 

On 8/1/2022 at 7:55 AM, Deputy said:

Things will improve now that I don't have to keep deleting the posts containing your creepy comments on the BSG pages that I won't sell you.    

'Creepy?'  No, no, no.

Deputy, I invite you to find a comment, post, or email between us that is in any way objectionable or even particularly noteworthy.  

Should you find any, I authorize you to post it here for all to see and judge for themselves.  I'd suggest manning up and starting a dedicated thread, this one has been hijacked enough, as Rick has noted above.

If you do, I'll engage.  I love teaching Good Manners.

Edited by thethedew

On 8/1/2022 at 3:24 PM, thethedew said:

'Creepy?'  No, no, no.

Deputy, I invite you to find a comment, post, or email between us that is in any way objectionable or even particularly noteworthy.  

Should you find any, I authorize you to post it here for all to see and judge for themselves.  I'd suggest manning up and starting a dedicated thread, this one has been hijacked enough, as Rick has noted above.

How about we skip the whole subject on the board, and just let you 2 email each other instead? 

On 8/1/2022 at 2:24 PM, thethedew said:

'Creepy?'  No, no, no.

You're one of the nicer and best mannered guys on the boards, in the hobby in fact, and I'm having a hard time imagining you making "creepy" comments at all, much less "creepy" comments in your (apparently) relentless, unbridled, & unhinged search for Battlestar Galactica pages. 

On 8/1/2022 at 3:36 PM, Rick2you2 said:

How about we skip the whole subject on the board, and just let you 2 email each other instead? 

A reasonable suggestion.  Up to him, but I'll point out he was the one slinging untoward descriptions, which is generally frowned upon.  Happy to interpret his silence as conceding the correction.

Edited by thethedew

On 8/1/2022 at 4:47 PM, thethedew said:

A reasonable suggestion.  Up to him, but I'll point out he was the one slinging untoward descriptions, which is generally frowned upon.  Happy to interpret his silence as conceding the correction.

Rather than claiming victory, and potentially stirring up a hornet's nest, why not email him and suggest the debate be private? Honestly, I'm not interested in winners and losers.

Give Mike the night off.

On 7/29/2022 at 1:06 PM, RBerman said:

A "report piece" feature would help to crowdsource the pieces that deserve moderator evaluation, but it would need to be linked to some mechanism on the back end to forestall the same pieces needing repeat evaluation.

My original answer was incorrect.

The proper way to report violations of the CAF terms is to use the Support menu item, i.e., Support > Help Desk/Contact CAF.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 8/2/2022 at 8:37 AM, Deputy said:

No concessions,1) I just have stuff going on more meaningful than internet message boards.  You inserted yourself with multiple posts in my discussion with someone else, albeit in a public forum, pejoratively 2) describing me as "thin-skinned," so you're not innocent in this matter.  If I was going to post at all, I should've just written "leave me out of this" and walked away when the poster dragged me in linking my CAF page and noting my commenting history.  I didn't like that then; I still don't.

Like I wrote previously, 3) I DELETED the posts with your comments.  I'm not keeping receipts for a blackmail file.  I don't even know if it's possible to recover that data.  I wasn't expecting to interact with you again.  

In any event, 4) I propose a ceasefire.  We can agree to disagree.  I'm not going to read or post in this thread again.  I'll probably logout after hitting "submit reply."  Everyone can participate in this hobby as that person sees fit and I'll do the same.  Hobbies are supposed to be FUN.  This crap drains fun...

5) I hope we can all continue collecting at the level we want and aren't plunged into war with China in the next five minutes...

Classic Internet Argument Trope Alert!! :news:

You
1) Place yourself intellectually and philosophically above the back and forth that you enflamed with opaque allegations of "creepy" posting on another poster's part which was in retaliation to something you took offense to, which was:
2)turning yourself into the victim over what was than and has been borne out to be an accurate depiction of how you've reacted to the benign and milquetoast commentary regarding you in this thread. Basically, jumping on Andrew for calling you "thin-skinned" after you decided to pull down all of your art from car over a couple of comments on these boards seems to be the self-fulfilling description of "thin-skinned". 
Then when called upon to provide proof you:
3)can't prove it, the dog ate your evidence of Andrew being "creepy" towards you, yet you felt strong enough about it to lay it out as fact here without detail or corroboration.
Followed, the most classic of internet argument tropes
4)the "Slap to the face and instant call for TIME OUT" :fear:
You accused him of something you can't prove, that you can't document, that you alleged against him in retaliation for a (now proven factual) perceived aspersion, and now you want to turn off the faucet without either providing the receipts or retracting the insult. 
Finally, making the demand for proof for allegations you made against Andrew seem petty and small:
5) In the face of WW3 with China.  

Weak Sauce

Either prove it or apologize and retract it. 

On 8/2/2022 at 7:08 PM, comix4fun said:

Either prove it or apologize and retract it. 

Thank you for laying it all out like that.  I do appreciate the support.

...but we could also go with Door 3, the suggested ceasefire.  He's gone, nothing left but everyone's opinions scattered all over the place.  I think we can be done now.  Sometimes, you just can't please everyone.

Edited by thethedew

• Administrator

There's one more option.  I have a ban from topic tool.  The 2 of you can either cease fire, or I can  block you from seeing  and posting in the thread.  As a rule, moderation issues in the OA forum is rare.  This thread seems to have struck gold.  I want it to turn into iron pyrite.  

On 8/2/2022 at 8:01 PM, CGC Mike said:

There's one more option.  I have a ban from topic tool.  The 2 of you can either cease fire, or I can  block you from seeing  and posting in the thread.  As a rule, moderation issues in the OA forum is rare.  This thread seems to have struck gold.  I want it to turn into iron pyrite.  

I will comply.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:01 PM, CGC Mike said:

moderation isn’t easy, I get that. For general spats I agree with this tack…I just have more of a problem with unfounded accusations.  

It would be the mature and responsible thing for the accusing  party to retract and apologize, and defuse the situation entirely in the process, instead of letting the aspersions stand, feign victimhood and high ground while “walking away”. Playing with reputations is dangerous and, in this case, reckless in lack of foundation. I understand the need to lower the temperature, but I think the party setting the fire has the power to douse it…which seems appropriate given the matches in his pocket. 

Edited by comix4fun

• Administrator
On 8/2/2022 at 9:19 PM, comix4fun said:

It would be the mature and responsible thing for the accusing  party to retract and apologize, and defuse the situation entirely in the process, instead of letting the aspersions stand, feign victimhood and high ground while “walking away”. Playing with reputations is dangerous and, in this case, reckless in lack of foundation. I understand the need to lower the temperature, but I think the party setting the fire has the power to douse it…which seems appropriate given the matches in his pocket. 

I'm all for that.  I believe everyone here is an adult.  I suggest acting like one.  If not, I will be forced to take action.