• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

multiple staple recessed explanation?
2 2

30 posts in this topic

Does multiple staple recessed refer to the staples being pulled in to the spine, whereas they are difficult to see along the spine?

I assume cover would still be attached unless noted. The note seems self explanatory but I've never seen it before and want to be sure.

America's Best grader notes edit.jpg

Might have been going for multiple staple "creases"...?

On 7/29/2022 at 9:27 AM, Splonk said:

Could be. Would you call 2 staples "multiple"? I wouldn't (shrug)

Well yes, technically 2 is "multiple"--but I think "multiple" refers to the "recesses" (or creases), rather than the staples.

On 7/29/2022 at 11:36 AM, Splonk said:

Anything that isn't one is multiple lol

Recesses and creases aren't the same thing. You don't grade the recesses itself, they just say "the staple is recessed" and that encompasses the whole defect.

Yeah, you might want to review the thread, or at least the posts to which I was responding.  You don't seem to be following the conversation.

On 7/29/2022 at 11:45 AM, Splonk said:

Yeah right lol

Not sure why you're feeling so contentious in your first dozen posts (returning frequent flyer, perhaps?), but to recap:

OP asked about a grader's note he had never seen before:  "multiple staple recessed"

I suggested that "recessed" could be an autocorrect error for "creases."

You said "maybe," and asked if 2 staples were "multiple" staples.

I said technically yes, but the multiple probably refers to the "recesses" (or "creases," whichever they were going for).

You agreed that more than one is "multiple," and then pontificated that recesses and creases aren't the same thing, and went on to elaborate about grading a recessed staple defect.

And here we are--me feeling like you're going off track, and you confidently snarking away anyway.

It's possible that the grader's note in question might be a typo of a different kind--they may have been going for "multiple staples recessed" (in which case yes, it would involve more than one staple)--but that wasn't the suggestion I originally made.

So, not sure it was worth all this, and if you want to continue picking it apart, you're on your own, but I thought I'd take one last shot at clearing the air.

On 7/29/2022 at 11:58 AM, Splonk said:

Nice backpedal

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Recapping a conversation is not backpedaling.  Backpedaling is when you try to claim that you didn't say something you said, not when you point out everything that you said.

Oh, and I'll be 60 next year.  I probly won't see 70, being an overweight diabetic with a heart condition and all.  But I definitely know more about what I said than you do.

Edited by Axe Elf

So did kav get banned or something?

On 7/29/2022 at 12:06 PM, Splonk said:

That's your deflection? Pfffft, pitiful.

No, that's my dismissal.

If they can get a word in edgewise among the insufficiently thoughtful persons who keep getting banned and coming back with new accounts to be insufficiently thoughtful some more.

Maybe @CGC Mike should check your IP address...

Edited by Axe Elf

On 7/28/2022 at 6:55 PM, BriD. said:

Does multiple staple recessed refer to the staples being pulled in to the spine, whereas they are difficult to see along the spine?

I assume cover would still be attached unless noted. The note seems self explanatory but I've never seen it before and want to be sure.

I'm not sure why it said "multiple", but I'm pretty sure that notes are discretionary and not necessarily reviewed. With the volume of books that one grader handles every day and the amount of times they type something like "multiple creases" or "multiple tears" it seems reasonable that they might be on auto-pilot and use the word when they meant something else. Was it a particular issue that doesn't normally have recessed staples? It's my understanding that certain issues like UX94 may commonly have recessed staples.

Honestly, my guess is that this is recessed staples, rather than just creases or tears. But we're honestly all just spitballing right now, because trying to divine things from grader's notes alone is pretty much right up there with entrail reading. I understand that the OP doesn't have photos available right now, but ...

:thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics:

On 7/28/2022 at 7:55 PM, BriD. said:

You're correct---it's self-explanatory. And yes, the cover should still be attached. :foryou:

Kinda looks like multiple staple creases to me... but I suppose they might also be "recessed."