• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Summer Edition (#3) Round #3
11 11

240 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2022 at 9:39 PM, WilliamLunt said:

Tough round. Fight against Crime mystified me. Could not pull the trigger on 9.8 for the Supernatural Thrillers...but it was close.

I guess there is a difference between staining, foxing, tanning--- whatever discolored the back of that crime book. It looked like a combo of all three to me. But it seems that foxing would not hit the book as hard as say staining or soiling.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:31 PM, 01TheDude said:

America's Greatest #5  9.0

Fight Against Crime #14  5.5

Showcase #4   3.5

Fantastic Four #25  3.0

Supernatural Thrillers #5  9.4

I knew that first one was a Mile High book so I graded it way up (and I can't say it wasn't justified). It is really hard to give a 9.8 grade to a book---and I couldn't find a single thing wrong with that Thrillers book so I assumed I was just missing something and went the safe route.  8 points-- not bad for taking less than 5 minutes to look at the images.

America's Greatest #5   8.5

Fight Against Crime #14   6.5

Showcase #4   5.0 +1

Fantastic Four #25    4.0 +3

Supernatural Thrillers #5   9.4 +2

6 points.  I was way too generous with that FF and too cautious with the Supernatural Thrillers. I should have given more consideration to that water stain on the back cover of the FF#25. 

Five big whiffs for me, think I scored more points this round than the first three two rounds combined. In my defense, I spent the week in a cabin on Shuswap Lake which forced me to complete this round on a tiny cellphone with crappy wifi. My family has no idea of the tremendous sacrifices I make in order to spend time with them!

Edited by Black_Adam

On 8/4/2022 at 9:31 PM, Black_Adam said:

Five big whiffs for me, think I scored more points this round than the first three rounds combined. In my defense, I spent the week in a cabin on Shuswap Lake which forced me to complete this round on a tiny cellphone with crappy wifi. My family has no idea of the huge sacrifices I make in order to spend time with them!

first three rounds?

On 8/4/2022 at 9:55 PM, Black_Adam said:

doh!  First two rounds. Still hungover from that week at the lake.

(worship)

whew.  thought i missed a round or something.