• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Summer Edition (#3) Round #3
11 11

240 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 8/5/2022 at 8:49 AM, Bird said:

sorry, I never even looked at the books!

No worries.  Look for the signup for the fall edition around October 1st.

On 8/6/2022 at 2:21 AM, CGC Mike said:

I am still waiting for the revised spreadsheet from CGC so I can post the results.

We can safely assume I've got the number one spot. So may as well lock that in and post it for all eternity. 

• Administrator
On 8/5/2022 at 8:39 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Am I still in any sort of lead? Where be these magical standings?!?

As soon as they are provided to me, I will post them. Sorry for the wait.  

On 8/5/2022 at 11:03 AM, flashlites said:

America's Greatest #5 - 7.5 - could have been at 8.0 but I thought it was a stretch and backed down to 7.5

Fight Against Crime #14 - 5.0 - would have been at 6 or better but that back cover was way too dirty I hit the book hard for that

Showcase #4 - 3.5 - maybe i imagined a 1 1/2 inch tear at the bottom? with the staple rust could maybe go to 4.0???

Fantastic Four #25 - 3.0 I could go with a 2.5

Supernatural Thrillers #5 - 9.6- a few too many tiny flaws for me to go with a 9.8 but hey

No you didn't - and it was much bigger than 1 1/2 inches.

Perhaps some people who got bullseyes on this book could explain what we are missing. I went 3.0. I'm staggered that a book with a huge tear and significant rust migration could get a 4.5

It's always good to learn. :idea:

For the record - the other 4 were 2 bullseyes and one grade out on other 2.

2 bullseyes - 5 points

On 8/5/2022 at 8:39 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Am I still in any sort of lead? Where be these magical standings?!?

I was 2 points back from you going into round 3, so with your 7 points, and my 5 points in round 3, it looks like we'll be tied going into round 4. I'm guessing there are some that will be ahead of use, but presumably not by too much, unless they killed it in round 3.

I'm just happy I'm doing fairly well again (at least so far); I wasn't sure how much luck was involved finishing 3rd in the last contest (my first ever contest).

Thanks to Mike for putting the contest together again!

On 8/5/2022 at 7:46 PM, Beige said:

No you didn't - and it was much bigger than 1 1/2 inches.

Perhaps some people who got bullseyes on this book could explain what we are missing. I went 3.0. I'm staggered that a book with a huge tear and significant rust migration could get a 4.5

It's always good to learn. :idea:

For the record - the other 4 were 2 bullseyes and one grade out on other 2.

2 bullseyes - 5 points

Nice score! You did very well on a tough round! I'm still licking my wounds and re-calibrating before I attempt to grade this last round.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:54 AM, flashlites said:

Nice score! You did very well on a tough round! I'm still licking my wounds and re-calibrating before I attempt to grade this last round.

Thanks - very kind of you :foryou:

I'm still utterly confused with that Showcase #4.

What are your thoughts? 2-3" tear and significant rust migration gets a 4.5. (shrug)

Hmmm....gift grade or am I not understanding penalties for rust migration.

Genuinely want to know, as I have skipped from buying many books that show even a hint of rust.

On 8/5/2022 at 7:57 PM, Beige said:

Thanks - very kind of you :foryou:

I'm still utterly confused with that Showcase #4.

What are your thoughts? 2-3" tear and significant rust migration gets a 4.5. (shrug)

Hmmm....gift grade or am I not understanding penalties for rust migration.

Genuinely want to know, as I have skipped from buying many books that show even a hint of rust.

Being a Flash fan I would have loved to 'give' it a 4.5 but honestly there is no way...I treated the tear like a spine split as the grading guide gives us some guidance there. And then tried to be generous as I knew CGC would be and came up with a 3.5. Just looking at the tear or possible tear (as we don't have the benefit of having the book in hand) it appeared to be to be at least 1 1/2" possibly more. The grading guide says up to a 1" spine split for a 4.0. Taking that into consideration with the other defects I felt that it was a 3.5 but I realize now I should have given it a 'CGC' 4.0. I still would have been 1 grade off :roflmao:!

On 8/5/2022 at 6:56 PM, WilliamLunt said:

From everyones self reporting, a mini update

comicginger - 14pts
superman2006 - 14pts
mars76 - 14pts
grendelbo - 15pts
kav - 16pts
withering wind - 16pts
beige - 16pts

Thanks. I knew I was at 15 points but I didn't know about a few others. 

All day long I've been choking the endgame in Fortnite. Better wait a day to grade the new round.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:26 PM, grendelbo said:

Thanks. I knew I was at 15 points but I didn't know about a few others. 

All day long I've been choking the endgame in Fortnite. Better wait a day to grade the new round.

Nice score Grendelbo!!! I'm not too far behind, sitting at 18 points, but I would have to pull of a miracle in round 4 to end up in the top 3!:insane: