• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's new with Alan Moore, do you care?

14 posts in this topic

In answer to your thread question...truth is...No yeahok.gif

I feel the same, yet I always seem to enjoy his thoughts.

Alan it seems can polarize people. Some of his work has been of very high quality and influential.

Yet it is quite clear that some of his more recent work hasn't garnered the sort of attention that his work on Swamp Thing and Watchman did.

Also could it be the way he presents himself to the fans that turns them off? He's rather reclusive and the “gonna leave comics/not gonna leave comics” chatter that comes out of him every few years may leave folks disinterested. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In answer to your thread question...truth is...No yeahok.gif

I feel the same, yet I always seem to enjoy his thoughts.

Alan it seems can polarize people. Some of his work has been of very high quality and influential.

Yet it is quite clear that some of his more recent work hasn't garnered the sort of attention that his work on Swamp Thing and Watchman did.

Also could it be the way he presents himself to the fans that turns them off? He's rather reclusive and the “gonna leave comics/not gonna leave comics” chatter that comes out of him every few years may leave folks disinterested. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Could'nt agree more...you nailed it! thumbsup2.gif

"Moore has changed the face of graphic novels."

Did he? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In terms of getting the mainstream comic reader to expect a written product of a higher quality, yes, he definitely shook things up quite a bit.

I think reading his work in graphic novel format is the only way to go. thumbsup2.gif

Trying to read it monthly just doesn't work for me.

I think he is a great writer but his prima donna personality turns me off. He will complain about his financial problems but then turn down royalties for movie rights. There is so much "artistic" integrity I can bear. I hate it when artist put their "creative" genuis on a pedastal as if their vocation is more important. We all make contributions in our daily works and they do not always turn out the way intended. I do not feel sorry for a someone in financial difficulty when they get pissy because a MOVIE does not share his artistic sensiblities.

He's rather reclusive and the “gonna leave comics/not gonna leave comics” chatter that comes out of him every few years may leave folks disinterested. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll admit I'm not familiar with the background on this. Is Moore's take something along the lines of "comics are too pedestrian?" If that's the case, then yeah, I'd be annoyed too. I've seen a lot of comic writers show contempt for the field, and talk about quitting and writing a novel. If that's the case , then I say just go do it and stop talking about it. If a person is capable of writing something more complex than what goes in a word ballon, then go to and stop yer person_without_enough_empathyin'. wink.gif

It's not as if Moore would have much trouble finding a book publisher.

Interesting article. thumbsup2.gif I don't get the sense that he's some artsy-fartsy whiner, but someone who had enough of getting chewed up in corporate hype-machines.

"Proper grown-up writers have a moral right to their work - it says so right there on the page," says Moore."

This CBR article is pretty telling too. web page

[Alan Moore was sued as part of a suit against 20th Century Fox for plagiarism of the screenplay "Cast Of Characters"] "...This led to Moore giving a ten-hour deposition - he believes he'd have suffered less if he'd "sodomised and murdered a busload of children after giving them heroin." Christo_pull_hair.gif

Continued success in any creative field means lawsuits and depositions are inevitable. For some high profile creators, especially in the film world, where there are a number of creative fingerprints on any project, it is virtually a routine occurance. For the most part these lawsuits come to naught. One can either rant and rave about the injustice and inconvenience of it all, or accept it as one of the burdens of success, like promoting projects one no longer believes in, having one's work trashed by strangers, or spending an entire day with one's accountant.

He's rather reclusive and the “gonna leave comics/not gonna leave comics” chatter that comes out of him every few years may leave folks disinterested. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll admit I'm not familiar with the background on this. Is Moore's take something along the lines of "comics are too pedestrian?" If that's the case, then yeah, I'd be annoyed too. I've seen a lot of comic writers show contempt for the field, and talk about quitting and writing a novel. If that's the case , then I say just go do it and stop talking about it. If a person is capable of writing something more complex than what goes in a word ballon, then go to and stop yer person_without_enough_empathyin'. wink.gif

It's not as if Moore would have much trouble finding a book publisher.

He's already published a novel:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksea...30449&itm=2

And the answer is yes, Alan Moore has changed the face of graphic novels/comics.

When judging the merits of a creator's work, personality doesn't factor into it for me.

He's already published a novel:

Cool, thanks for the tip. thumbsup2.gif That book goes on my wordfile for "read immediately after finishing dissertation....in a year and a half." tongue.gif

When judging the merits of a creator's work, personality doesn't factor into it for me.

Yeah, ultimately I have to agree.