• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dangling Chads
3 3

10 posts in this topic

Here is a ST 115 I just got.  On the top edge it has a chip that is hanging by the tiniest dot of paper.

So when you guys get one of these (or a marvel chip that is about to fall off) do you leave it alone or do you remove it?  I just don't want to submit this comic and then have the chip fall off inside the slab.  It's hanging on by... paper fibers

IMG_2042.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

On 8/5/2022 at 10:52 AM, gadzukes said:

when you...get one of these

If your priority is not having a slab chip, why risk it?

If you're concerned about grade, then you'd have to consider the rest of the comic's condition. If this is the singular defect, then that extra 1/4" might affect something. If the comic is already low grade enough, then a slightly bigger gap will just become part of the low grade stew.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/5/2022 at 10:52 AM, gadzukes said:

Here is a ST 115 I just got.  On the top edge it has a chip that is hanging by the tiniest dot of paper.

So when you guys get one of these (or a marvel chip that is about to fall off) do you leave it alone or do you remove it?  I just don't want to submit this comic and then have the chip fall off inside the slab.  It's hanging on by... paper fibers

IMG_2042.jpeg

Just saw your PGM; did it fall or did you pull? 😀

On 8/5/2022 at 11:52 AM, gadzukes said:

IMG_2042.jpeg

Why not just tidy up the whole edge?:idea:

707D6790-F7B2-4929-80B9-9AE1F09CE287.jpeg.7dbb6d438061335da048a10da5ef1850.jpeg

With low grade books where the defect wouldn't effect it's grade or appearance, I'd tear it off. As a kid 30 years ago I would tape it. I'd let nature take it's course with books of higher quality.