• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it possible to get a SS book pressed by CCS and regarded and maintain the yellow label?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Basically the title.

I sent in some books to a signing (with out being pressed as I just didnt have the time before the deadline) and when I got them back there was one book in particular that got hit really hard. I don't typically care THAT much about the grades I get, as I mostly send books to be graded because I want them graded, or this case signed. But this book looked VERY good. Expecting in the 9.2-9.4 range. 7.5 is what it came back as. The notes only say "light finger bends to cover". It's ridiculous that that alone would make it drop as low as a 7.5, ESPECIALLY when I have a different book in the same lot that had the same notes and it came back a 9.0.

So I just wanna know is it possible to send an already SS book into CCS to be pressed, then regarded by CGC, and still retain the yellow SS label?

On 8/5/2022 at 8:01 PM, Jakemh91! said:

The notes only say "light finger bends to cover"

The finger bend stuff has been an issue lately and I believe  @CGC Mike still wants to know about these kind of situations. If you have a moment, please PM him with a description of the issue, your transaction number, and probably the slab numbers affected.

On 8/5/2022 at 6:01 PM, Jakemh91! said:

I sent in some books to a signing (with out being pressed as I just didnt have the time before the deadline)

SS books are pressed after the signing by CCS (if pressing requested) so time wouldn't have been a factor.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:42 PM, KirbyTown said:

The finger bend stuff has been an issue lately and I believe  @CGC Mike still wants to know about these kind of situations. If you have a moment, please PM him with a description of the issue, your transaction number, and probably the slab numbers affected.

The books were not pressed so no way to know when the finger bends happened.

Edited by jokiing
spellen

This is an interesting situation. So, if I have a CGC 9.4 Signature Series book, and submit it for CCS Press, and Grading, it will keep the Yellow-Label, but may receive a higher Grade (or Lower) It would be re-valuated post pressing and re-slabbed?

On 8/8/2022 at 1:33 PM, slpfi27 said:

This is an interesting situation. So, if I have a CGC 9.4 Signature Series book, and submit it for CCS Press, and Grading, it will keep the Yellow-Label, but may receive a higher Grade (or Lower) It would be re-valuated post pressing and re-slabbed?

Yes, it will be pressed, then graded and slabbed. As long as it's in CGC's possession, still sealed in slab, it will keep it's yellow label.

Signature Series are pressed after signing (in case of rough handling by artist) then graded and slabbed.

On 8/8/2022 at 1:58 PM, jokiing said:

SS books are pressed after the signing by CCS (if pressing requested) so time wouldn't have been a factor.

As a rule I don't have my books pressed by CCS, I have them pressed by a 3rd party. But I didn't have time to send my books to them and have them pressed before the signing. I'm asking about CCS now just because that would be my only option while still maintaining a yellow label.

On 8/8/2022 at 2:01 PM, jokiing said:

The books were not pressed so no way to know when the finger bends happened.

I'm not sure exactly what it is that he's looking into. But my concern was that the books was graded at a 7.5 and the only listed was light finger bends, which seems to be an extremely harsh drop in grade for something so small. So either there was some other significant damage to the book that wasn't listed in the notes, or this book is severely mis-graded.

On 8/9/2022 at 1:02 AM, Jakemh91! said:

I'm not sure exactly what it is that he's looking into

There had been complaints about how fingerbends were suddenly being mentioned in notes and in a standardized kind of way. The phrase was showing up for both pressed and unpressed books and Mike was welcoming specifics so he could make an inquiry.

On 8/9/2022 at 1:02 AM, Jakemh91! said:

other significant damage to the book that wasn't listed in the notes

This is typical and is likely the case.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/9/2022 at 3:56 AM, KirbyTown said:

There had been complaints about how fingerbends were suddenly being mentioned in notes and in a standardized kind of way. The phrase was showing up for both pressed and unpressed books and Mike was welcoming specifics so he could make an inquiry.

This is typical and is likely the case.

Per Mike: "Please send me the submission numbers along with this text.  That goes for everyone else that have had books pressed and are receiving noted with finger bends, and a low percentage of 9.8's or lower grades than they were expecting.  I will send in all of the submission numbers, text etc... and we will try to find out what is going on with unexpected finger bends and/or lower grades than you were expecting.  Keep in mind, number of books, grades, graders notes submission numbers and any other comment that applies will give us a better chance to find out what is going on.  If there's a problem, you can help to fix it by sending me the above data I have asked for."