• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PULPFEST REPORTS!
2 2

51 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2022 at 12:34 PM, catrick339 said:

Second pic is Terry from Terry's Comics, made the trek from the West Coast.

On 8/6/2022 at 4:45 PM, Robot Man said:

He don’t look none to happy.  Hopefully buying was good at least…

Maybe missing Los Angeles or not loving Washington now? :shiftyeyes:

On 8/6/2022 at 9:26 PM, N e r V said:

Maybe missing Los Angeles or not loving Washington now? :shiftyeyes:

I doubt it. I know he was unhappy in CA. I think it looked like low sales to me. I think he didn’t do well at a comic show in PA a week before.

It is very costly these days to travel the country selling funny books. I can see why many of the bigger dealers stay closer to home. 

Pulps sold well for me, along with hardcovers, comics were spotty but folks didn't bargain too hard.

Dollar mags flew, as did my better $2 paperbacks.

Oh, and the secret to selling pb's at a buck seems to be to take the time and effort to alphabetized them. 

Folks came back time and again to dig for another fave author, and Saturday afternoon I offered the bargain price: take any tray for $10, or build your own tray for $20. Many, many trays were built that way. I expect to do the same thing next year with the other half of the books in the garage, lol

Other folks seemed to be doing well also, chatted with Ray Walsh Sunday aft, he hit his goal spot on, other folks said the same. What a boon to have a show that ends at 2 PM Sunday. Most dealers were out the door, myself included, by 1 PM. I spent the night there, came home this morning after a good night's sleep. A good show all around, I'll be there next year.

Postscript:

Bought my one-and-only book for the weekend: 

First edition hardcover of The Mote In God's Eye by Niven and Pournelle.  Possibly the best science fiction novel ever written, and on my wantlist since forever.

Edited by catrick339

On 8/8/2022 at 6:52 PM, catrick339 said:

Postmortem:

I was there to sell paperbacks, paperbacks, paperbacks.

I had sixty trays full at the start and came home with thirty two. Mission Accomplished!

Mike Carbonaro was there Thursday and vacuumed a bunch of comics and other paper, but was off to C2E2 after that. But I beat him to some goodies!

20220806_172806.jpg

20220806_172938.jpg

20220806_173119.jpg

Carbo “vacuumed” …:roflmao:

NICE haul Rick. I haven’t scored a pile that nice at a con for quite a while. 

Thanks for the report Rickster. Sounds like more Pulp, HB and PB buyers there. Probably because of the price point between them and comics.

When you alphabetize PBs do you do it by title or author? I often don’t think about them other than the covers.

I no longer have a massive amount of paper taking up space but still have way more than I would like to. A show like this would be a perfect place for a blow out sale.

Glad you did well and accomplished your goal. Would have loved to have been there, sounds like fun!

On 8/8/2022 at 7:12 PM, catrick339 said:

Postscript:

Bought my one-and-only book for the weekend: 

First edition hardcover of The Mote In God's Eye by Niven and Pournelle.  Possibly the best science fiction novel ever written, and on my wantlist since forever.

Thanks for the great report!  In all my years of running ads looking for funny books in the 70’s, I got one box with A Shadow pulp in it. Weird…

On 8/9/2022 at 1:03 PM, TerrysComics said:

A few more pics:

pulp_fest_pic2.thumb.jpg.851b3a1c3ba4912e8bdfd5c737d55e73.jpg pulp_fest_pic1.thumb.jpg.6f30185dbdfb133bdf0a7048aa2fc66c.jpg

pulp_fest_pic9.thumb.jpg.d380568ea18c91e36665f93c90725e4b.jpg pulp_fest_pic7.thumb.jpg.195fda7e159f3381ed15b8401c165ae1.jpg 

pulp_fest_pic6.thumb.jpg.fcec6b4ed28a8a461f088569d7ff36f8.jpg pulp_fest_pic3.thumb.jpg.79080e01f3cc6ac6c73e4612e31498ff.jpg 

pulp_fest_pic4.thumb.jpg.3d9cf8721020ae93418bd603006de07c.jpg pulp_fest_pic5.thumb.jpg.4b7acbcd9644fbad920e374089cb6037.jpg

I spy with my little eye a nice array of vintage pbs and digests in there! That would be a dangerous table for me to stop by.

I had too much going on to attend but I had fun at Windy City so hopefully can get around to a few others of these shows.

Thanks for the pics everyone.