• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you consider this acceptable shipping?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I grabbed a pretty low dollar book off of Ebay the other day. I'm pretty new to collecting, but I've done my research, and know about Gemini mailers, etc. I got this book taped between two pieces of average thickness cardboard, put into a manila envelope, and shipped with no extra padding or anything. They did write "Fragile" or "Do Not Bend" or similar on the front. Would you find this acceptable? I'm not pissed exactly. The book is only worth like, $6 raw. I probably would be if it was worth like, $80 or something. So tell me, should this be setting me off more, or less than it is?

On 8/6/2022 at 9:47 PM, burnsbabe said:

Hey folks,

I grabbed a pretty low dollar book off of Ebay the other day. I'm pretty new to collecting, but I've done my research, and know about Gemini mailers, etc. I got this book taped between two pieces of average thickness cardboard, put into a manila envelope, and shipped with no extra padding or anything. They did write "Fragile" or "Do Not Bend" or similar on the front. Would you find this acceptable? I'm not pissed exactly. The book is only worth like, $6 raw. I probably would be if it was worth like, $80 or something. So tell me, should this be setting me off more, or less than it is?

There’s enough in life to waste time being upset about.  If the book somehow wasn’t damaged....just forget the shipping fail and enjoy the book.  Make a note of the seller, and avoid them going forward.2c

That's fair. Mostly I was trying to decide if it even deserved a note to the seller. Calling it a "shipping fail" explicitly instead of just "that's what happens with $5 books" gives me some idea of an answer.

On 8/6/2022 at 11:03 PM, burnsbabe said:

That's fair. Mostly I was trying to decide if it even deserved a note to the seller. Calling it a "shipping fail" explicitly instead of just "that's what happens with $5 books" gives me some idea of an answer.

$5 or $50....pack it securely.  If it can bend easily, it’s not secure.

Improper packaging is infuriating.  I’m not sure that a note to the seller won’t cause you more frustration depending upon their response. 

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

Honestly, a manila envelope with two (or three) sheets of cardboard can be very secure; I do it all the time, but typically use two sheets of double wall cardboard, sometimes three depending on the book/weight.

This method is cheaper than a gemini mailer and a helluva lot stronger and stiffer too.

Edited by ramrodcar

On 8/7/2022 at 6:06 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Improper packaging is infuriating.  I’m not sure that a note to the seller won’t cause you more frustration depending upon their response.

One of the stock responses is ‘we ship like this all over the world and have had no problems or complaints’. So, often not worth further conflict, especially on a low cost item.

Simpler not to repeat the transaction and find someone else.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/7/2022 at 10:08 PM, ramrodcar said:

Honestly, a manila envelope with two (or three) sheets of cardboard can be very secure; I do it all the time, but typically use two sheets of double wall cardboard, sometimes three depending on the book/weight.

This method is cheaper than a gemini mailer and a helluva lot stronger and stiffer too.

I have done that and received similar packages like that as well. Never had a problem that I can remember. Only with thick double wall cardboard though. Only on books worth maybe $20 or less. Otherwise I just use a box. As you said, much cheaper to the buyer.

The key is to make sure, it can’t go through a first class machine.

I hate it when the shipping costs more than the book it’s self. But I rarely buy or sell books like that anyway.

As long as it arrives safely, I’m OK with it. 

I buy Gemini mails and pads in bulk for shipping so the cost per transaction is only about .60. It's cheap enough that it's worth avoiding the potential hassle of returns if something gets damaged. It annoys me when stuff is sent to me not well protected. I recently bought a lot of 3 late-run Static issues. Got them for a good price, but the seller shipped in a bubble mailer with basically just an additional backing board for protection, so they came in a little bent.

On 8/6/2022 at 6:47 PM, burnsbabe said:

Hey folks,

I once received a book I paid $5 for it and it was just put in a vanilla envelope.  arrived completely shredded-went right in the trash.  I messaged seller with pics and advised better packing in future and that was the end of it.  It was only $5.