• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 11:32 AM, MrBedrock said:

If you assume they aren't stupid then you might come to the conclusion that they must have known.

But if you assume they are stupid...

The third option is that they knew it was wrong and thought the damage to their brand could survive in relation to the profit potential from it. That's pretty much how (large) corporate philosophy works.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, mattn792 said:

That would make no sense.  Say you send in a Wizard ACE 181 with a pristine acetate cover, but you ripped out half the interior pages and put 3/4" tears in the rest of them.  Should that book get a mint designation?

I understand what youre saying and I mostly have experience with older books but its possible they check the book is complete and not grade them. I guess this comes down to how much do torn interior pages affect a grade, or if a missing coupon affects a grade aside for a notation.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:35 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The third option is that they knew it was wrong and thought the damage to their brand could survive in relation to the profit potential from it. That's pretty much how (large) corporate philosophy works.

Reminds me of Edward Norton in "Fight Club".  If a + b is less than c, we don't do a recall.

And to think @RockMeImADayusbought all those Gen 13 1/2s to find a 9.8 when he could have just slipped CGC a couple bucks to have them make one.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:31 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Thanks buddy boy! :peace:

Well to be fair I really dont post here anymore cause it has been pretty boring on here for a while.

You many like my whatnot shows?  We just talked about comics and chill.  Yes I did talk about this story which made for a fun show. 

Link to your thoughts on this subject? :popcorn:

On 8/10/2022 at 12:35 PM, Shpeeler said:

I understand what youre saying and I mostly have experience with older books but its possible they check the book is complete and not grade them. I guess this comes down to how much do torn interior pages affect a grade, or if a missing coupon affects a grade aside for a notation.

ANY defect, regardless of where it's located on the book, has to affect the grade, otherwise the assigned grade would be a total farce.  

I doubt you'll ever hear anyone say something like "This is the best looking 10.0 with an interior subjected to gunfire that I've ever seen!"  

On 8/10/2022 at 11:36 AM, ygogolak said:

Why are people reporting sellers? They were all bought by individuals before it was known to be an issue. You're punishing the innocent instead of the perpetrators.

I think it's easy to see that side of the issue as well. However, the sellers are now pushing an illegitimately graded book by a publicly-held company (is it? Now I can't remember). The sellers who are getting hit are collateral damage at this point, I think. There has to be a motivating factor here for someone - sellers, dealers, publishers, whomever that creating these things hurts the integrity of the hobby. Are we the ones to judge that? If the offending party ignores it, it's left to the mob to sort it out.

Edited by Dr. Balls
Is CGC publicly held or private?

On 8/10/2022 at 1:40 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If they want their money back, they can request a refund from Black Flag.(shrug)

Are you trying to create sympathy for those flipping these for 3x + what they bought them for????

Um, have you not seen how the comic market works? I would love to buy all comics at cover price.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:41 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think it's easy to see that side of the issue as well. However, the sellers are now pushing an illegitimately graded book by a publicly-held company. The sellers who are getting hit are collateral damage at this point, I think. There has to be a motivating factor here for someone - sellers, dealers, publishers, whomever that creating these things hurts the integrity of the hobby. Are we the ones to judge that? If the offending party ignores it, it's left to the mob to sort it out.

Graded? Most are raw.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:42 PM, mattn792 said:

Why the confusion?  The sellers got had, should we let the sellers pull one over on other buyers?  And then they can do the same?  The cycle has to end somewhere, let it die now.  Now is also probably the best chance to hold CGC and Black Flag accountable for this fraud they've perpetrated.

So, by your logic, the sellers are aware of the issues but the buyers are completely oblivious. Does this seem legit?