• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2022 at 3:07 PM, ExNihilo said:

So he bought it at C2E2...and then turned around to sell it...and made $150.  No offense, but dude looks like he's in his moms basement (but I guess a lot of people film in sparsely decorated spaces).

He sold it for 1.8k. I think he bought it at $750.

On 8/13/2022 at 2:03 PM, DrunkWooky said:

Just poking the bear, huh? You guys gotta remember that Disney and Sonny Bono are the folks that lobbied Congress to extend the corporate ownership of copyrights. 

An MF-ing act of Congress! You think they won’t come after your tiny acetate for this type of Effery?

1BE68590-8483-45DF-B080-2619C8B31532.jpeg

With this one and the Homer one , I do not think these are acetate, but where they actually had Clayton Crane sketch/paint those on the actual books . 

Although I really do hope they are on acetate so that this mess gets shut down 

On 8/13/2022 at 12:49 PM, ExNihilo said:

At the 9:05 mark of the video he says he made $150.

:popcorn:

On 8/12/2022 at 3:09 PM, straylight said:

you missed a vital part of what he said. He said no one cut in front of the blue line. people 100% jumped ahead and went straight to the table where there was a gap to buy books (cutting the line, just not the blue line people were in)

Considering you just joined yesterday are you him? :ohnoez:

My point was that to make that diagram and then post it on YouTube like it was something out of a Mission Impossible movie was super weird and cringy.  I really didnt care much about his underlying points of view.

300832406_ScreenShot2022-08-12at9_34_59AM.thumb.png.b5e3e8472be6ca4a7e271af2c5573043.png

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 8/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, thehumantorch said:

I don't know how many followers this guy has.  I'd imagine not many, as while I didn't dislike the guy, I found him a bit scattered and he really had nothing interesting or insightful to add.

To be honest, this is how I imagine most comic "influencers" are which is why I can't fathom there being a significant enough number of viewers/followers for anyone to really be an "influencer".  Let's be honest, I think a fair number of collectors do fall into the Simpsons Comic Book Guy stereotype and I can't see people being socially outgoing enough to stream themselves.  I'll admit, it's probably an incredibly difficult thing to do filming yourself with the potential that your video could be seen by millions.  I just think comic book fans (traditionally) would probably have a more difficult time than say the person who ran boosters in high school or the sales person at work who's job it is every day to schmooze corporate clients.

On 8/13/2022 at 1:09 PM, awakeintheashes said:

My guess is that many of these “influencers” are people who missed out on the huge bubble/bonanza in 2012 when every new image book was pulling $20 the week of release and WD #1 was “going to the moon.” They likely missed out on the Sixth Gun #1 bonanza or were left holding the bag. They don’t care about the hobby. They just heard about all those books in 2012 from a friend who does collect and care. 

They all thought they were going to “make fat stacks” flipping comics, but were left with worthless Image #1s from 2013-2015. They started these YouTube channels to drive hype for their worthless books and create heat for other books they have laying around when they used to collect 15 years ago. 

Just watching most of them, you can tell they have no identity or motivation. They follow what someone tells them they should like and are drawn to the easiest way to make a dollar (ethical or not). 

man my strategy has always been just look for books that were undervalued like FF annual #6 or Thor 134 and whatnot buy a bunch of em.  First annihlus?  first franklin richards?  firs high evolutionary?  these books are still $10 books-I'm gonna buy a lot of em.  Years later they indeed popped.