• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nellie with four staples?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Just got a Nellie 23 which I'm pretty excited about but as I was flipping through it, I realized there are four staples vs. the normal two. I thought maybe someone added them but the comic is in relatively good shape with a firmly attached cover already. And, the "extra" two staples don't go through the cover - they go through the centerfold to the the last wrap only while the "normal" staples go all the way through the cover. Anyone see this before? I keep talking myself alternatively into a manufacturing error and a post-production staple zealot tampering with the lovely Nellie. Some pics below - any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

First picture is the centerfold. The bottom two staples are fairly obvious - the top two are above and below the white strip with 100 in int.

Second picture is the inside back cover showing what I'm calling the "extra" two staples.

This picture is the back cover with the "normal" staples through the cover.

Last pic is Ms. Nellie. You're welcome.

IMG_1681.jpeg

IMG_1683.jpeg

IMG_1685.jpeg

IMG_1686.jpeg

On 8/7/2022 at 12:59 AM, Susanville said:

Just got a Nellie 23 which I'm pretty excited about but as I was flipping through it, I realized there are four staples vs. the normal two. I thought maybe someone added them but the comic is in relatively good shape with a firmly attached cover already. And, the "extra" two staples don't go through the cover - they go through the centerfold to the the last wrap only while the "normal" staples go all the way through the cover. Anyone see this before? I keep talking myself alternatively into a manufacturing error and a post-production staple zealot tampering with the lovely Nellie. Some pics below - any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

First picture is the centerfold. The bottom two staples are fairly obvious - the top two are above and below the white strip with 100 in int.

Second picture is the inside back cover showing what I'm calling the "extra" two staples.

This picture is the back cover with the "normal" staples through the cover.

Last pic is Ms. Nellie. You're welcome.

IMG_1681.jpeg

IMG_1683.jpeg

IMG_1685.jpeg

IMG_1686.jpeg

Enjoy this book just the way it is. At least you know it's probably not going to fall apart when you read it...  :foryou:

On 8/6/2022 at 10:43 PM, Lightning55 said:

My only guess is that it came through the binding process stapled, but without a cover.  It was noticed, and run through again to attach a cover.

I totally agree with this, and bought a Strange Tales #104 CGC 7.0 last year that was exactly like this book...four sets of staples on the inside but only two visible along the spine.

This was not noted in the graders notes, and the only way I found out about the extra staples is when I cracked the book out to read it...