• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Curator Pedigree: Who was it and where was it?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2022 at 6:28 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, whatever happened to good old JC as I remember he used to be so active on these boards here when they were filled with new posts from an almost endless stream of boardies who used to post here?  (shrug)

I imagine he probably left the hobby awhile ago as it's been years since I last saw a post from him.  What a defference between the good old days and now when the boards are pretty much like a masoleum and you can now go for hours before seeing a new post on some of these forums here. :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :(

JC popped onto the boards about a year ago (August 7th, 2021) and made three posts in a single thread.....in them, he touched a bit on why he backed away from the hobby.

You can see his last three posts in that thread starting here.

On 8/20/2022 at 4:19 PM, Domo Arigato said:

JC popped onto the boards about a year ago (August 7th, 2021) and made three posts in a single thread.....in them, he touched a bit on why he backed away from the hobby.

Thanks for posting a link to that old thread re: how many OG board members are still active. I had forgotten that people like JC were not longer active, unfortunately.

Edited by kimik

On 8/20/2022 at 3:54 PM, kimik said:
On 8/20/2022 at 3:19 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Thanks for posting a link to that old thread re: how many OG board members are still active. I had forgotten that people like JC were not longer active, unfortunately.

Yep, and for those too lazy to click onto the link, here's what he basically said in a nutshell:  :gossip:

On 8/7/2021 at 11:48 AM, joe_collector said:

No worries, I'm still alive and doing great. 

I just found that the speculator activity + movie hype made comics less attractive to me, as I've never been one to "follow the crowd" when it comes to collectibles. 

I think the point where I lost the urge to keep buying was when a guy I know on FB posted his "Latest Acquisitions" and it turned out to be a CGC 8.5 copy of Champions #1 that I believe he bought for $300 or so. That was mind-blowing and creeped me out quite a bit. 

The prices that some of this stuff is going for now should be illegal and to me, it's no longer a fun hobby but a blatant cash grab right now.  

On 8/20/2022 at 3:42 PM, Jaylam said:

I did manage to reach out to John myself and he said the collection was from Minnesota and that he had gotten in on the last part of the collection being sold.

Oh, so I guess that explains why the early birds like Brulato and the like got the best part of the Curator Collection and the late comers like Hauser got the leftover dregs that nobody else really wanted.  :p

On 8/20/2022 at 7:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Yep, and for those too lazy to click onto the link, here's what he basically said in a nutshell:  :gossip:

what was Ironic, is I have a 1975 champions #1 in, 8.5 lol 

Idk that it ever got up to $300 lol 

On 8/20/2022 at 7:50 PM, lou_fine said:

Oh, so I guess that explains why the early birds like Brulato and the like got the best part of the Curator Collection and the late comers like Hauser got the leftover dregs that nobody else really wanted.  :p

John got some excellent books. The big books he got were often sold to Brulato. 

On 8/20/2022 at 6:42 PM, 143ksk said:

John got some excellent books. The big books he got were often sold to Brulato. 

And John also got some crapola books.  These little books he got were often sold to the "little people" like me.  lol

On 8/20/2022 at 9:02 PM, lou_fine said:

And John also got some crapola books.  These little books he got were often sold to the "little people" like me.  lol

Me, too. I got most of the 1960's Archie #1s from John.