• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Asm #239
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Love this cover. Seems like you've got a slight miscut as 9.8s look like they have color above the publishing/CCA bar. A few light spine ticks that lower the ceiling for a NM grade. My biggest concern/question is what looks like an indention between Hobby's head and Spider-Man's foot. If it is what I see, then you're down another ~0.5. I'm going with 8.5±0.5 with the higher end possible if that indention presses out.

On 8/15/2022 at 5:07 PM, comicjoe1234 said:

If this is a 9, it makes me rethink every grade my LCS has claimed...

Grading is an imperfect science because no one entity does it the quite the same as another.  Again, we here on the boards tend to grade conservatively...usually we're within a grade or two.  Sometimes we can be way off, but we can't always predict how CGC will grade. (shrug)

On 8/15/2022 at 6:23 PM, Galen130 said:

Grading is an imperfect science because no one entity does it the quite the same as another.  Again, we here on the boards tend to grade conservatively...usually we're within a grade or two.  Sometimes we can be way off, but we can't always predict how CGC will grade. (shrug)

Fair enough. It's just I see them posting comics claiming 9.0 but clearly is more like am 8. Ita a shame

On 8/16/2022 at 2:11 AM, comicjoe1234 said:

Fair enough. It's just I see them posting comics claiming 9.0 but clearly is more like am 8. Ita a shame

That I can't speak to.  It's either poor grading skills...or greed. (shrug)

It is a shame though. 

On 8/16/2022 at 3:11 AM, comicjoe1234 said:

That's slabbing's origin story supposedly; sellers say high, buyers say low, CGC says "pay us to avoid this problem."

Your run of the mill comic shop is probably going to mis-grade in the direction of "more money". Gross mis-grading might not be in their best interest, but erring on the side of money doesn't seem to incur wrath.

Nobody can really argue about grading anymore anyway, because CGC has thrown any meaningful standard out the window. This is why "grading is subjective", "it's my personal opinion", and "can we truly know reality? what ARE frogs anyway??"

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/16/2022 at 5:11 AM, KirbyTown said:

That's slabbing's origin story supposedly; sellers say high, buyers say low, CGC says "pay us to avoid this problem."

Your run of the mill comic shop is probably going to mis-grade in the direction of "more money". Gross mis-grading might not be in their best interest, but erring on the side of money doesn't seem to incur wrath.

Nobody can really argue about grading anymore anyway, because CGC has thrown any meaningful standard out the window. This is why "grading is subjective", "it's my personal opinion", and "can we truly know reality? what ARE frogs anyway??"

Yeah I get that. It's just they always do it for big name comics or ones that are hot. One in particular they had listed at a 9 was nova 1. They wanted 300 cad for it. Looked at it in person and counted 16 spine ticks, 4 color breaking, all noticeable. Worse condition then most comics I've posted here that yall say are are 8.5-7.5. When I asked what the grading was based off of the guy said, "25 years of experience doing this. CGC would grade this at a 9.0." 

I can full heartedly say they would not. It's a shame. But haven't bought from there since. Crook, lunacy, or both.