• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers who use the last auction sale to buy a book
1 1

88 posts in this topic

Why look at auctions anyway.

Buy it now sales better reflect what the asking price should be set at.

An auction sale only reflects what a specific group of potential buyers were willing to pay during a specific 7-10 day window.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:48 PM, lostboys said:

Why look at auctions anyway.

Buy it now sales better reflect what the asking price should be set at.

An auction sale only reflects what a specific group of potential buyers were willing to pay during a specific 7-10 day window.

Scenario:  Seller 1 lists CGC 5.0 Action Comics #1 for $5,000 Buy It Now.  Book sells.

Buyer X references $5,000 Buy It Now sale (which better reflects what the asking price should be set at, according to your post).

Therefore, Seller 2 should give up their own CGC 5.0 Action Comics #1 for $5,000 (or something very close) to Buyer X.

Obvious problem: Buyer X is Seller 1 and faked the whole $5,000 scenario.  Rinse and repeat with any book at any price.

Edited by valiantman

On 8/9/2022 at 1:59 PM, Kevin76 said:

Just say, I'll give it to you for last sale, but add on taxes and shipping before handing over the book, cause that's what the last person paid haha. 

LOL - I like that because the price would have been more then I negotiated it to

On 8/9/2022 at 11:17 AM, blazingbob said:

I'm really not concerned about the "pricing police"

My issue is that buyers want the "auction result" without bidding on the book that was in that auction.  

And not realizing that their bidding would influence the outcome of that auction.  

Well, also ask them if they've factored in the buyer's premium, because they have not.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:17 AM, blazingbob said:

I'm really not concerned about the "pricing police"

My issue is that buyers want the "auction result" without bidding on the book that was in that auction.  

And not realizing that their bidding would influence the outcome of that auction.  

agreed!  :golfclap:

On 8/9/2022 at 11:15 AM, blazingbob said:

Again,  buyer was presenting a auction result that literally just finished a day earlier.  I have no idea if it was a all time high.  I had priced my book on Thursday,  the auction result was on friday.

I guess my question would be what is an acceptable cut-off for comparing auction prices? If the auction had ended a week earlier, would you have been upset about the buyer bringing the auction up then?

On 8/9/2022 at 1:27 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Well, also ask them if they've factored in the buyer's premium, because they have not.

If you check the result of an auction on Heritage, the price listed includes the buyer's premium. I can't speak about any other auction houses, however.

HA.thumb.jpg.23e13cd8ba2e11d54af10e580b5b3e6a.jpg

Last auction sale is a data point, nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes it's an outlier, sometimes it's a pretty good indicator of FMV. 

More than once someone has pointed out the last auction price when trying to negotiate on a book I'm selling and I tell them "Yeah, that was this copy, I thought it was a good deal which is why I bought it, but it's worth more than that."

On 8/9/2022 at 5:46 PM, rjpb said:

Last auction sale is a data point, nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes it's an outlier, sometimes it's a pretty good indicator of FMV. 

More than once someone has pointed out the last auction price when trying to negotiate on a book I'm selling and I tell them "Yeah, that was this copy, I thought it was a good deal which is why I bought it, but it's worth more than that."

And do you do the same when you’re buying a book from someone?  Never mind…we all know the answer

On 8/9/2022 at 3:00 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

And do you do the same when you’re buying a book from someone?  Never mind…we all know the answer

If I want to negotiate I just offer I price. I don't give an explanation as to why I think the seller should accept it.