• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade : Brittle

8 posts in this topic

just curious , never saw this before. My son sent his coverless Avengers 1 in to be graded. just got alert it was done by CGC. i figured NG since coverless but under it grade  it says BRITTLE.  

never saw that before.  anyone know why thats under grade.

thanks.

It's a page quality designation "lower" than the usual page color range. It includes two levels: Slightly Brittle, which won't grade higher than 6.5, and Brittle, which won't grade higher than 3.5. These designations exist because there's a point at which page quality degrades so far as to no longer be measurable by color alone; it indicates that the page's structural integrity is compromised.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/10/2022 at 10:56 PM, KirbyTown said:

It's a page quality designation "lower" than the usual page color range. It includes two levels: Slightly Brittle, which won't grade higher than 6.5, and Brittle, which won't grade higher than 3.5. These designations exist because there's a point at which page quality degrades so far as to no longer be measurable by color alone; it indicates that the page's structural integrity is compromised.

^^

On 8/10/2022 at 8:11 PM, spidrvacc said:

just curious , never saw this before. My son sent his coverless Avengers 1 in to be graded. just got alert it was done by CGC. i figured NG since coverless but under it grade  it says BRITTLE.  

never saw that before.  anyone know why thats under grade.

thanks.

:(   

On 8/10/2022 at 5:11 PM, spidrvacc said:

under it grade it says BRITTLE.  anyone know why thats [sic] under [the] grade.

On 8/11/2022 at 5:29 PM, spidrvacc said:

thanks.i know what brittle is in reference to the paper but never saw that listed as the Grade. all the others on that submission say 4.5., 7.5, NG etc but this one list the grade as Brittle.  anyway thanks.

These two statements can only be true if both the grade and the page quality are each listed as Brittle.  Could we please see a pic that includes the entire label?  If no pic, then could you at least provide the certification number of the slab?  :foryou:

its shipping back. should be here in a week. these are the notes.

Line Item: 004
Comic Description: Avengers 1 9/63 Marvel Comics
Category: Universal
Grader Notes: Grader Notes
Grade: BRITTLE
Comments: COVERLESS.

Ah, your statement "under the grade" did not refer to the layout of the text on the label.  Gotcha!  (thumbsu  The Detective #37 and FF #1 shown below were certified on 12/20/2017 and 09/15/2021, respectively.  It's certainly possible that CGC has altered the placement of the various label notations (although I'm not sure why they'd make such a change).  Take a pic of the label once your book is in hand.

NG-1.thumb.jpg.2a53f125022139c1e5ef9418a8bdab6b.jpg NG-2.thumb.jpg.f5ee7a5a3d680ca73c4be8f4cb1a2d9c.jpg