• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance vs. 1st appearance

8 posts in this topic

For some characters they have their "1st appearance" and a "1st Silver Age appearance." Will a "1st appearance" in a lower grade be more valuable than a "1st Silver Age appearance" in a higher grade? What if the census numbers are pretty similar? I read about Captain America, Namor, and the Riddler are among some characters in this scenario.

It depends. While your question seems specific, it's actually quite vague. 

On 8/12/2022 at 7:06 AM, Cat said:

It depends. While your question seems specific, it's actually quite vague. 

I agree.  I don't follow the market trends anymore, but it could be possible for there to be similarity between a 9.8 Avengers 4 and a 0.5 Captain America Comics 1.  I don't want to check up on the specifics of this as I'm certain the prices would shock me.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/12/2022 at 12:13 AM, PatrioticMarine said:

For some characters they have their "1st appearance" and a "1st Silver Age appearance." Will a "1st appearance" in a lower grade be more valuable than a "1st Silver Age appearance" in a higher grade? What if the census numbers are pretty similar? I read about Captain America, Namor, and the Riddler are among some characters in this scenario.

Your questions are pretty broad, but maybe this can assist:

A major difference between Kirby's Cap '41 ('40) and his Cap '64 is whether the average collector will even SEE the former issue in their lifetime, let alone have the opportunity to purchase a copy; that's 90 blues on the census vs. 3,700.

Two years ago, an incomplete Captain America Comics #1 PR with a detached cover and eight pages missing sold for $39,500.

Five months ago an Avengers #4 NM sold for $29,000.

(It just so happened that around the same time, a Captain America Comics #1 NM sold for $3,120,000) 

Hope this helps!

10EE6B84-A837-414D-96BC-0FD41DFE8E28.thumb.jpeg.198052d6d518b7e4e10bd18183b0452d.jpeg

Edited by KirbyTown
eat shield, bad guys

On 8/12/2022 at 11:48 AM, KirbyTown said:

Two years ago, an incomplete Captain America Comics #1 PR with a detached cover and eight pages missing sold for $39,500.

Interesting.

Despite my comparison being pure guesstimating, I wasn’t that far out.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:48 AM, KirbyTown said:

Your questions are pretty broad, but maybe this can assist:

A major difference between Kirby's Cap '41 ('40) and his Cap '64 is whether the average collector will even SEE the former issue in their lifetime, let alone have the opportunity to purchase a copy; that's 90 blues on the census vs. 3,700.

(It just so happened that around the same time, a Captain America Comics #1 NM sold for $3,120,000) 

Hope this helps!

10EE6B84-A837-414D-96BC-0FD41DFE8E28.thumb.jpeg.198052d6d518b7e4e10bd18183b0452d.jpeg

Thank you. That helps! :-)