• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Money Talks! Let's see those stacks of books you're NOT sending to CGC
1 1

30 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2022 at 9:04 AM, Cat said:

Thanks, that was exactly what I was after, and I'll keep an eye out for that tpb. That's exactly what I want. 

Turns out I was wrong on all my guesses. It was Dynamic Forces. 

Thought I’d post up the covers as they’re both modern artwork, so you might scan past them on a shelf if you don’t know what your looking for. 

Spoiler

8719C081-878F-44E3-B681-F4D9C453D4AE.jpeg.8a08da22d3d791ae2dc02bc1cd2aa318.jpeg
200BB32F-7FB3-4330-82FB-E4D83E83D379.jpeg.7f5d4d359abad5f99b25e0cfadf1970a.jpeg

On 8/15/2022 at 2:21 AM, Number 6 said:

Turns out I was wrong on all my guesses. It was Dynamic Forces. 

Thought I’d post up the covers as they’re both modern artwork, so you might scan past them on a shelf if you don’t know what your looking for. 

Hide contents

8719C081-878F-44E3-B681-F4D9C453D4AE.jpeg.8a08da22d3d791ae2dc02bc1cd2aa318.jpeg
200BB32F-7FB3-4330-82FB-E4D83E83D379.jpeg.7f5d4d359abad5f99b25e0cfadf1970a.jpeg

Thanks for that, and yeah, not what I would have imagined I'd be looking for. Beautiful covers though. 

On 8/14/2022 at 9:25 AM, Gaard said:

Do all businesses lie to their customers about their mistakes and poor choices?

Also, I am 100% a fan of their product. I abhor the company.

look brother, I have had issues with them getting back to me, sometimes even ignoring me all together, but they are the top dog for now, and until there's something better out there, it is what it is but I respect your position

On 8/15/2022 at 5:09 AM, Courageous Cat said:

look brother, I have had issues with them getting back to me, sometimes even ignoring me all together, but they are the top dog for now, and until there's something better out there, it is what it is but I respect your position

It is what it is wraps it up succinctly. The amount of books being held back may slow CGC down 10-15 minutes. It would be the equivalent of a cup of water used to put out a California forest fire. 

On 8/15/2022 at 9:01 AM, Number 6 said:

I won’t speak for everyone else, just myself:

My withholding books from CGC isn’t about “sticking to CGC” or “teaching them a lesson”, “hurting their bottom line” or whatever.  I’m not interested in trying to “fix” CGC or motivate them to get better. 

It is about 1) protecting my books from getting wrecked and 2) protecting my wallet from wasting my money on a service that increasingly has less and less value. 

The reason I posted books in this thread wasn’t to say “neener neener CGC look at ALL the money you’re missing out on!”  That’s absurd. I know full well my amount of submissions is like a thimble of water in an inferno.  They couldn’t care less and I have no delusions or hurt feelings about that. 

But what do we always read in these types of threads?  “People complain, but they don’t stop submitting”.  So I posted books up to demonstrate that, piddling though it may be, that’s not always the case. 

And I couldn’t agree more. You are exercising your right as a consumer. I applaud your taking a stand, but the reality of things is that too many dealers/collectors/flippers have hitched their wagons to CGC’s horse that they CANNOT stop sending in books. I know at least 6-7 board member alone who left their jobs to sell comics full time. 

On 8/15/2022 at 9:01 AM, Number 6 said:

I won’t speak for everyone else, just myself:

My withholding books from CGC isn’t about “sticking to CGC” or “teaching them a lesson”, “hurting their bottom line” or whatever.  I’m not interested in trying to “fix” CGC or motivate them to get better. 

It is about 1) protecting my books from getting wrecked and 2) protecting my wallet from wasting my money on a service that increasingly has less and less value. 

The reason I posted books in this thread wasn’t to say “neener neener CGC look at ALL the money you’re missing out on!”  That’s absurd. I know full well my amount of submissions is like a thimble of water in an inferno.  They couldn’t care less and I have no delusions or hurt feelings about that. 

But what do we always read in these types of threads?  “People complain, but they don’t stop submitting”.  So I posted books up to demonstrate that, piddling though it may be, that’s not always the case. 

Kinda agree with you on that statement I was going to submit books and will probably in the future but for time being I have been holding off hoping cgc improves their qc and gets better at what they do.

On 8/15/2022 at 5:18 AM, joeypost said:

It is what it is wraps it up succinctly. The amount of books being held back may slow CGC down 10-15 minutes. It would be the equivalent of a cup of water used to put out a California forest fire. 

I will say, the intent of my post wasn't to convince everyone to drop CGC.  I realize that's an impossible reality given the number of books they have sent to them and the breadth of the customer base (ie most of them probably aren't on these boards).  What I did hope was that maybe enough stories similar to mine (of dropping their service) might make them realize that their updated policy of what qualifies for a universal label, as well as the biased/paid grades of 30 books will in fact cost them more than whatever Black Flag paid them for said books.