• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 4 CGC 4.5 did I do well $$$ plus trade in

18 posts in this topic

At a recent Convention I pulled a trigger for Fantastic Four 4  4.5 for  6K   I traded IM 55 7.5 FF 52 4.5 and a ASM 129 9.0 (the alternate) and 1.2 K  how did I do

I already had a FF 4 in a trade a long time ago ( in a huge sale of majors this one cost me only $260  a partner and I paid 2K for almost every major silverage except for JIM  in 2000.

asm 129.jpg

FF 4 0114556004.jpg

IM 1208512004.jpg

img142.jpg

Edited by WEBHEAD

Based on last sale on GPA

ff 4 - 4.5 - $5100

IM 55 - 7.5 - $655
FF 52 - 4.5 - $1100
ASM 129 - 9.0 - $4050

+ $1200

Total of $7005 in trade plus cash.  Knowing that dealers won't give you full value for your trades, and his book was a bit over priced, I would say you didn't do too bad.  Not a great deal, but, we've all overpaid for a book at some point.

If he shows up in a movie, it could give the book a nice bump and could turn out to be a great deal for you.

I would probably hesitate with the ASM129 because it's a 9.0.  i know myself, and I would never replace that book in a 9.0. 

I've owned all the books in question and the only one I still own is the FF4. So that probably speaks to which I would prefer. 

On 8/14/2022 at 10:43 AM, aszumilo said:

ff 4 - 4.5 - $5100

IM 55 - 7.5 - $655
FF 52 - 4.5 - $1100
ASM 129 - 9.0 - $4050

+ $1200

Total of $7005 in trade plus cash.  Knowing that dealers won't give you full value for your trades, and his book was a bit over priced, I would say you didn't do too bad.  Not a great deal, but, we've all overpaid for a book at some point.

If he shows up in a movie, it could give the book a nice bump and could turn out to be a great deal for you.

That's just weird lol 

Last sales of IM #55 in 6.5/7.0 on ebay have been $750 to $800 lol 

7.5 just must not trade hands that often. 

On 8/14/2022 at 11:43 AM, aszumilo said:

ff 4 - 4.5 - $5100

But that was on 7/23/22.  Last sale of a 4.0 was on 7/26/22 for $5500, suggesting $6K for the higher-graded 4.5 that he traded for, especially since a 5.5 sold for $8K on 7/27/22.  So $7K (3 smaller books  + $1200 cash) for a $6K key.  Dealer has more stuff to sell to make it worthwhile for him, and you mostly used built up equity instead of cash to get a big key you wanted right now.  From what i have heard in these types of trades with a dealer, looks like you did pretty well.  (thumbsu  

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/14/2022 at 10:03 AM, Pantodude said:

But that was on 7/23/22.  Last sale of a 4.0 was on 7/26/22 for $5500, suggesting $6K for the higher-graded 4.5 that he traded for.  So $7K in smaller books for a $6K key.  Dealer has more stuff to sell to make it worthwhile for him, and you mostly used built up equity instead of cash to get a big key you wanted right now.  From what i have heard in these types of trades with a dealer, looks like you did pretty well.  (thumbsu  

I just went off the latest GPA sale.  It can be a volatile market and GPA may not have recorded the sale you speak of.  Like I said it was not a bad deal and has potential to turn into a great deal.

On 8/14/2022 at 1:06 PM, aszumilo said:

I just went off the latest GPA sale.  It can be a volatile market and GPA may not have recorded the sale you speak of.  Like I said it was not a bad deal and has potential to turn into a great deal.

Right, and i just revised my post to note the 5.5 sale for $8K on 7/27, making the 4.5 seem even more an at least $6K book. 

I would say look up the prices on GPA and factor in whatever other factors you want

then see how you feel about it

but seems in the realm of non-ripoff trades

Edited by revat

I may be looking to sell my "undercopy some time soon need to thin out my rather large CGC collection   thanks to everyone who posted..... one interesting note was I originally wanted to trade for a FF5  he had a 2.5 for 6.5K  but there were to many tears I could not pull the trigger personally I am fine with the deal      thanks to all who posted this is why I love this community 

I think I would have sold the books for cash and bought what I wanted and saved myself some money. 

I am not a guy that advocates trades unless the trade is heavily in my favor. 

On 8/14/2022 at 12:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

I think I would have sold the books for cash and bought what I wanted and saved myself some money. 

I am not a guy that advocates trades unless the trade is heavily in my favor. 

Don't forget paying Uncle Sam their cut before buying what you want...

On 8/14/2022 at 11:23 AM, WEBHEAD said:

At a recent Convention I pulled a trigger for Fantastic Four 4  4.5 for  6K   I traded IM 55 7.5 FF 52 4.5 and a ASM 129 9.0 (the alternate) and 1.2 K  how did I do

I already had a FF 4 in a trade a long time ago ( in a huge sale of majors this one cost me only $260  a partner and I paid 2K for almost every major silverage except for JIM  in 2000.

asm 129.jpg

FF 4 0114556004.jpg

IM 1208512004.jpg

img142.jpg

Why is there a restored FF 4 pictured? ???

Also you have to factor in what the OP originally bought the books for.

Yes you can sell the books individually for more money but you have to do it quickly and hope the book you want to buy doesn't sell in the meantime.

You could put down a deposit and have a payment plan in place for say a month which means you'll have to work and Hussle quickly to get the highest return in the short amount of time.

Plus declare your net on the sale of the books.

Yes dealers need to get a good deal yet you can also depending on the dealer.

6 months ago I traded a graded X-Men 94 4.0 white pages plus $400 for a Superman 7 graded 2.0 cream/off-white 

Thought that was a good deal.

And after that deal I asked the dealer about the Detective 14 CGC 1.0 brittle pages in a first generation slab and he said you can have that for $500, Okey dokey 👍

A better trade deal can be had with another collector except most, not all collectors want to trade you multiple books for one or two big books.

Where a dealer most likely like a smattering of keys and semi keys if it also includes cash in the transaction.

Edited by southern cross
More info to bore 😴