• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tim Sale Batman Dark Victory Question
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I just picked up a Tim Sale page from Dark Victory #8 on the ComicLink Exhange and it came affixed to a thick illustration board.  I noticed that this same page sold previously on Heritage also attached to the illustration board and another page from Dark Victory #8 sold on Heritage was also affixed the same way

Does anyone know if it was common for artists to affix the Bristol board on a ticker illustration board themselves or would this have been done by a collector after purchasing the piece?

thanks in advance!

Thanks for everyone’s input.  Odd how there’s another example of a DV8 page with the board as well and I also noticed a Tim Sale published Spider-Man page on Heritage that had the same board attached so thought it was worth inquiring

cheers!

BL

On 8/15/2022 at 10:39 AM, Riddler said:

Thanks for everyone’s input.  Odd how there’s another example of a DV8 page with the board as well and I also noticed a Tim Sale published Spider-Man page on Heritage that had the same board attached so thought it was worth inquiring

I would bet that they all passed through a single collector that, unfortunately, decided to mount the art to another board. If you're motivated, you might be able to find other examples on CAF and find your way to the person who made the change (even if they aren't on CAF). They could provide insight into the materials used to mount the art. 

I used to own a DV page and it was not affixed to anything.  As others have said, someone must've done that themself.   Mitch would be able to answer/confirm that.  

I can't recall his Forum ID.  Can someone tag him in this thread?  

I have a DV 3 page picked up in a trade back in 2009 - it is attached to a white board as you describe which is a bit annoying.  The collector I got it from did not know who had done this but looks like they were a dedicated DV collector - he suggested leaving it alone and I have done just that so far.

Edited by mtlevy1

I’ve seen this done before to “enhance” fragile art boards. That certainly doesn’t seem to be the case with the Sale art. If you can’t track them down I would recommend checking in to a restorationist, I think they can at least take a peak with a slight separation of the board to tell you what quality adhesive was used. Corrosion is my only concern. If it’s harmless than I’d leave the board in place to save on expenses.

It has to have been the framing. Deep frames requiring additional support to display the art. I never would’ve made this choice but again, if it’s not a threat to damaging the art I’d just live with it.