• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Astonishing tales 36 cover OA
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Whatever 10-15 years above current market price they give you, if you say yes you'll take it, they will then tell you they "made an error" and raise the cost.  They gets more enjoyment from them mind games than they do from making sales.

P.S. Something looks "off" about those stats. Bottom line be very very careful dealing with them.  I had 4 attempted past cash deals (all prior to 2012) with them, only 2 of which of them actually came to fruition.  It's simply not worth it, with their greasy sleazy sales tactics, mental mind games, outright non-truths, and nasty attitude followed by multi-weeks long wait for them to ship. I now consider any art  they possess the same as if it no longer exists and I'm far from alone in that school of thought.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/16/2022 at 3:07 AM, MAR1979 said:

Whatever 10-15 years above current market price they give you, if you say yes you'll take it, they will then tell you they "made an error" and raise the cost.  They gets more enjoyment from them mind games than they do from making sales.

P.S. Something looks "off" about those stats. Bottom line be very very careful dealing with them.  I had 4 attempted past cash deals (all prior to 2012) with them, only 2 of which of them actually came to fruition.  It's simply not worth it, with their greasy sleazy sales tactics, mental mind games, outright non-truths, and nasty attitude followed by multi-weeks long wait for them to ship. I now consider any art  they possess the same as if it no longer exists and I'm far from alone in that school of thought.

Hey Mar, thanks for the heads up...I have previously emailed re art and they have not replied....with this info about your experiences it sheds some light and perspective👍

On 8/15/2022 at 1:46 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

What? Really......it was just listed in New Art.

They relist stuff all the time as ‘new’. But to be fair, most dealers do that. 
Most dealers to not alter art, tho, like coollines. Those stats look suspect, and there’s no telling with them if it’s overlays or attached to the art - until you make a very one sided deal and have the art in hand when they get around to shipping it. Then good luck if anything is not described correctly with the art. 

On 8/15/2022 at 2:48 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Hey Mar, thanks for the heads up...I have previously emailed re art and they have not replied....with this info about your experiences it sheds some light and perspective👍

I cruised their site and sent a few emails - then I came back here and read the rest of the thread. Will avoid. Thanks for the open discussion on these guys.

On 8/16/2022 at 8:00 AM, cloud cloddie said:

They relist stuff all the time as ‘new’. But to be fair, most dealers do that. 
Most dealers to not alter art, tho, like coollines. Those stats look suspect, and there’s no telling with them if it’s overlays or attached to the art - until you make a very one sided deal and have the art in hand when they get around to shipping it. Then good luck if anything is not described correctly with the art. 

Would this alteration of OA be analogous to restoration on comics??

I too, alas, consider any art they have as forever lost in some eternal and surreal Museum of the Absurd, although it's fun to see their stuff when they set up. 

I emailed them several years ago about an Iron Man cover, and they did write back quickly to tell me it had already sold.  I wonder if the Deathlok cover will fall in the same category?  (I do like a lot of Buckler's stuff from that era.)

Dan

On 8/16/2022 at 1:53 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Would this alteration of OA be analogous to restoration on comics??

Definitely not. There are valid reasons to restore an original art piece - foxing, water damage, etc… Affixing new stats directly to artwork, amateur ink touch up and other things documented in different threads, seems to be done solely to gussy up a piece for higher resale. It’s their art, and they can do what they will with it, whether I agree or not. But doing these things and not disclosing it… not acceptable IMO.