• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ugh!!!! encased my GA book in magazine holder.
3 3

26 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2022 at 2:16 PM, Point Five said:

Oof, that sucks. Is there a spine roll or anything else related to the condition that might be the cause?

no, flat as a pancake. Just arrived this morning and didn't get around to taking pics. Does this qualify as mechanical error, or am I gonna have to eat this one? And upon closer inspection, there is a piece go plastic/glass in the sleeve between the glass :tonofbricks:

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 8/15/2022 at 12:55 PM, Courageous Cat said:

Ugh!!!! encased my GA book in magazine holder.

What are my options when a majority of the copies are put in regular holder. Thoughts are greatly appreciated 

On 8/15/2022 at 1:18 PM, Courageous Cat said:

no, flat as a pancake. Just arrived this morning and didn't get around to taking pics. Does this qualify as mechanical error, or am I gonna have to eat this one? And upon closer inspection, there is a piece go plastic/glass in the sleeve between the glass :tonofbricks:

These two issues might be something@CGC Mikewill want to bring to the Quality Control Manager..

Is the GA book they put in a magazine holder any wider than your others that are in regular holders?

On 8/15/2022 at 4:31 PM, Domo Arigato said:

These two issues might be something@CGC Mikewill want to bring to the Quality Control Manager..

Is the GA book they put in a magazine holder any wider than your others that are in regular holders?

No, the book is no bigger than an early action or detective book. Its super world 1

• Administrator
On 8/15/2022 at 2:18 PM, Courageous Cat said:
On 8/15/2022 at 2:16 PM, Point Five said:

Oof, that sucks. Is there a spine roll or anything else related to the condition that might be the cause?

The piece of plastic shard would qualify for a mechanical error.  There must be a reason this book was placed in a magazine holder.  Could you post a few pics of the whole book and take some measurements?  Also, please PM me the submission number.

If I correctly recall, I purchased a CGC graded Silver Age comic book perhaps 15 years ago, I do not remember which, that must be in magazine size holder because it is larger than the "regular" sized holders.

Since I only recall the holder size and have no interest in looking at the comic book, it should be the first one I sell. :flipbait:(shrug)

On 8/16/2022 at 2:56 PM, Courageous Cat said:

to update, all copies on the major auction sites are in regular holders and frankly it makes it unappealing in a mag holder and I doubt im alone in this... measures 7 7/8  x 10 3/8

IMG_3022.jpeg

IMG_3020.jpeg

I love this, they actually centered and framed it! Wish everything was done like this, you really lucked out! (being serious!)

THIS IS THE WAY.

Edited by KirbyTown

• Administrator
On 8/16/2022 at 3:56 PM, Courageous Cat said:

to update, all copies on the major auction sites are in regular holders and frankly it makes it unappealing in a mag holder and I doubt im alone in this... measures 7 7/8  x 10 3/8

See my PM, as I gave you instructions on how to submit for reholder to get rid of the plastic shard.  Also, here are the maximum dimensions.

Size restrictions. CGC will not certify collectibles that are too large for its holders. This includes: Comic books larger than 10-1/2” tall x 7-5/8” wide x 1/4” thick; Magazines larger than 11-1/2” tall x 8-7/8” wide x 1/2” thick.

On 8/16/2022 at 1:56 PM, Courageous Cat said:

IMG_3022.jpeg

IMG_3020.jpeg

If I were you I would

1. Do a cartwheel for having such an awesome book

2. Keep it at the ready so I could look at it multiple times a day

3.  Not worry about the holder.

On 8/16/2022 at 6:15 PM, KirbyTown said:

I love this, they actually centered and framed it! Wish everything was done like this, you really lucked out! (being serious!)

THIS IS THE WAY.

If this book had to go in a magazine holder.....then this was definitely the best case scenario.

I've seen books put into large holders where the book was jammed to the left side of it, which left a big open gap on the right side of the holder. 

At least this one is nicely centered.  Although, I can understand the frustration with it being in a larger holder than all of his other books.

Still if there are shards of plastic loose in the case have it reholdered while it is free.

I too have an oddly situated book in a slab, TMNT #4 2nd print: regular slab but with tabs the book is not centered but adjusted to the right side of the slab.

There was at least one other slabbed this way that I was able to find online at the time. For whatever reason I'll trust there was one, a reason.

No loose shards so I didn't reholder, but something I'll admit made me question why?

Mag holders are a different breed as cumbersome and large, that too I'd struggle to over come for a reason, as you said and even my TMNT most others were encapsulated "normally."

Take all with a grain of salt and do what your gut says, but at least get rid of the plastic loose shards with a reholder while the night is young.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

For comparison

On 8/16/2022 at 9:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Still if there are shards of plastic loose in the case have it reholdered while it is free.

I too have an oddly situated book in a slab, TMNT #4 2nd print: regular slab but with tabs the book is not centered but adjusted to the right side of the slab.

There was at least one other slabbed this way that I was able to find online at the time. For whatever reason I'll trust there was one, a reason.

No loose shards so I didn't reholder, but something I'll admit made me question why?

Mag holders are a different breed as cumbersome and large, that too I'd struggle to over come for a reason, as you said and even my TMNT most others were encapsulated "normally."

Take all with a grain of salt and do what your gut says, but at least get rid of the plastic loose shards with a reholder while the night is young.

790188147_2022_07_1811_34AMOfficeLens.thumb.jpg.2776e5105d702815d992f28af034cc45.jpg