• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these grader's notes common AFTER the comic has been pressed?

7 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2022 at 5:38 PM, Steamed Hams For Everyone! said:

If the spine stresses break color they cannot be fixed by pressing.

Screenshot_20220815-173712_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2578601bf7b401fa4b6b495d70a829ac.jpg

This is the reason I asked - no mention of any of the stress lines breaking color - I do not see it - Should not a pressing took care of such defects? 

Some creases leave a faint remnant, others can re-appear if a books cover is opened and the person has gorilla hands. This can be true even for creases that don’t break color. All depends how bad they were to begin with. 

In this case a picture is worth a thousand words. 

On 8/15/2022 at 4:16 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

I recently got back an X-Men #50 as a 9.0 after a CSS pressing. Here are the Grader Notes: 

light spine stress lines to cover
very light creasing to cover

Should a good pressing removed such defects? 

To add to Joey's reply (consider his the final word on pressing), "reversion" shows up a lot whether it should or not, particularly in the work of amateurs who rush. In those situations, whether the book remains free or gets locked up, the comic will continue to take revenge for its gross deformation until the pulp-lust is satisfied!

5ECB5DD3-DDBA-4CDB-8E80-88B7A3F363F9.thumb.jpeg.a50217a6bd8844147fafa76ffd6f8b3a.jpeg

On 8/16/2022 at 9:11 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Grader notes are typically vague and not very helpful, which is why we would ask for pics.

Gotcha. The comic is back in CGC's hands now to get reholdered due to excessive newton rings. When I get back I will see if I can take photos that will show anything. Thanks to everyone!