• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Comic Art Thread
1 1

415 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2023 at 12:28 PM, Poekaymon said:

I've certainly been mispronouncing Sienkiewicz .

I've heard that one said enough, turns out what I heard was right, so it makes sense.

On 5/27/2023 at 1:52 PM, Murphman13 said:

I have always left the e off of Trimpe. Now I know.

I had heard both ways and wasn't sure which it was supposed to be.

On 5/27/2023 at 2:26 PM, B2D327 said:

I remember seeing this as a kid and laughing at myself for pronouncing “Byrne” as “B-iron” 🤣

That gets said a lot!
For sure these were all commonly heard to today and throughout the multiverse lol 

Buscema and Janson were difficult for me, but one is phonetically pronounced as written but that "a" in Janson with a "o" sound caught me off guard! 

On 5/27/2023 at 3:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
For sure these were all commonly heard to today and throughout the multiverse lol 

Even the owner at my lcs was pronouncing it wrong and here I was laughing when he called him “John Barn” 🤣 

(btw, that lcs is still in business 40+ years later and I only found out because a mutual acquaintance of the owner brought it up in a casual conversation about where he plays Magic the Gathering tournos) 🤣🤣🤣

On 5/27/2023 at 2:47 PM, B2D327 said:
On 5/27/2023 at 2:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Even the owner at my lcs was pronouncing it wrong and here I was laughing when he called him “John Barn” 🤣 

(btw, that lcs is still in business 40+ years later and I only found out because a mutual acquaintance of the owner brought it up in a casual conversation about where he plays Magic the Gathering tournos) 🤣🤣🤣

John Barn sounds a bit southern too, especially for New York, but I mention because my childhood LCS from 1989 is still around as well and has an anniversary sale annually. That is getting closer to 40 years, but good on you for finding out :whee: glad that owner had someone to help run that he can entrust it too eventually!

On 5/27/2023 at 4:54 AM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Always loved this piece done by Steacy, though I never could figure out what he was hanging from.

KenSteacySpider-ManMaryJanePoster.jpg.c67b53562375de2997ca768de48c30cc.jpg

Sometimes it’s best not to think too hard about situations like this.

Another example is The Beast swinging from a trapeze on the cover of X-Men 1.

On 5/27/2023 at 8:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Buscema and Janson were difficult for me, but one is phonetically pronounced as written but that "a" in Janson with a "o" sound caught me off guard! 

Surprised with Janson, as he was born in Germany and so I’ve always gone with the more common, native German pronunciation, whereas to me that sounds like it was changed after emigration to the States.  Maybe?

On 5/27/2023 at 8:26 PM, B2D327 said:

I remember seeing this as a kid and laughing at myself for pronouncing “Byrne” as “B-iron” 🤣

On 5/27/2023 at 8:47 PM, B2D327 said:

Byrne’s a fairly common name in Britain, so I always got this one right. However, back in the 70s I knew a couple of local comic book geeks who pronounced it ‘Brine’ all the time.

In the early days this was common, leading to the artist getting nicknamed ‘Salty’ by some other, possibly dyslexic fans.

At least I got Guice correct.

That said, I always wondered if there was some underlying reason involved in him switching between calling himself ‘Butch’ and then ‘Jackson’ periodically, all the time throughout his career?

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/27/2023 at 5:30 PM, Ken Aldred said:

At least I got Guice correct.

That said, I always wondered if there was some underlying reason involved in him switching between calling himself ‘Butch’ and then ‘Jackson’ periodically, all the time throughout his career?

“Butch” was probably a nickname that one just outgrows over time or he was having a hard time cashing a check when his identification showed otherwise (speaking from experience 😉). I even stopped using “Billy” once I hit a growth spurt sometime in high school. 

As much as I like a nice pin-up, splash, and cover like everyone else, there are also a lot of panel pages I like.

From Swampthing Annual 2 with the Demon's dialogue just being really well done by, Moore in this scene who simply wants something beautiful on display just so he can have people see how horrible everything else is in comparison.  
RCO028_1475721557.thumb.jpg.9a51c1381b572fec5ea569fc0e9cbf79.jpg

RomSpaceKnight27pg.7.thumb.png.3ca8924e097b48922d6765e4256fe360.png

Always liked this page from ROM which gave us a different view of Galactus and the comparison he gave to the Silver Surfer who he seemed to have regrets with. I was really lucky to get the OA for this page too which was a nice find.

On 5/28/2023 at 4:22 AM, ganni said:

Remember Cho?

cho1c.thumb.jpg.2fa1cbe77831ebc54f3a75d0c6ab3fa3.jpg

Yup. His extremely repetitive figure work.