• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Age Bag & Boards?

8 posts in this topic

Just got the CGC boxes to send in some books. The bags & boards they sent me to pack into were all modern age size. I'm sending in some Golden Age, Silver Age and Bronze Age. Why don't they send the correct B&D's for the appropriate books. There's no way some books will fit into what they sent. They'd get trashed. Seeing as how they have my order form, couldn't they have sent the larger sized bags? Any comments about this out there? 

On 8/20/2022 at 5:51 PM, Amra of the Ashanti said:

couldn't they have sent the larger sized bags? Any comments about this out there? 

While the images do show Silver Age bags and boards, the language doesn't specify. CGC could have sent larger sizes, but it's become obvious that they are focused on serving the modern market. I don't know if you were just redeeming your membership kit, but the majority of people paying CGC for shipping materials are probably going to be unfamiliar with shipping in general. I assume that would mean young people and I assume young people are primarily interested in moderns.

There are ways you could get individual silver/regular sized bags and boards, but I'm sure the consensus is that if you're in deep enough to be submitting comics to CGC, then you're probably in possession of silver/regular bags and boards, if only by accident.

Also, you might consider that if your book is good enough to slab, then it's good enough to send inside mylar with a thick backing board.

What are those comics sitting in now?

Edited by KirbyTown

I've been collecting since around 1967. At first I just put them in an old cleaned out rainbow hamburger bag. I didn't know about bags and boards until the late 1980's. Most of my books are in regular bags and boards[ sent in the books in their original bags and boards that I had them in.} and the rest in thick Mylar's. All books are in comic boxes about 10 small and about 30 long. I have never used modern bags and boards even for the modern comics. the first time I tried it was to snug for my comfort. So all are in the bigger size.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:57 PM, Amra of the Ashanti said:

I've been collecting since around 1967. At first I just put them in an old cleaned out rainbow hamburger bag. I didn't know about bags and boards until the late 1980's. Most of my books are in regular bags and boards[ sent in the books in their original bags and boards that I had them in.} and the rest in thick Mylar's. All books are in comic boxes about 10 small and about 30 long. I have never used modern bags and boards even for the modern comics. the first time I tried it was to snug for my comfort. So all are in the bigger size.

Oh, so everything's good then? Were you just pointing out that it was weird that they sent moderns?