• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to store CGC books

55 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2022 at 8:50 AM, lostboys said:

Get insurance.

Oh and store your slabs flat...no more than 6 high.

:popcorn:

Curious as to why flat and why not more than six high?  I assume to prevent staple pulls, but why the limit on the stack height?

Many thanks!

On 8/22/2022 at 4:44 PM, Panda2 said:

Curious as to why flat and why not more than six high?  I assume to prevent staple pulls, but why the limit on the stack height?

Many thanks!

Curious about this as well, since the outside edges are designed to fit together, I stack mine 20 high in shelves, very convenient 

On 8/22/2022 at 9:21 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

Do you guys use those special bigger short boxes for chic books.  I don’t have many but was thinking about getting one.  I haven’t seen them around though.

I do, but unfortunately like mylars and boards, there seems to have been a shortage in past couple of years.

On 8/22/2022 at 4:44 PM, Panda2 said:

Many thanks!

Sure thing 😃

It's just my personal paranoia.

I' haven't done the math (cause I cant) but I'm guessing too much weight could damage the slabs at the bottom.

I am pretty sure a stack could be larger than 6 without cracking the bottom slab. 6 is just where i draw the line.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:34 AM, The Meta said:

Like I said, I've stacked 20, no problems 

And you're probably fine...im guessing.

Slabs weigh about 1 lb.

So the slab at the bottom of that 20 high stack has 18-19 lbs of weight on top of it.

Is that enough to cause cracks in the plastic?

(shrug)

I’ve seen people stack 15 no problem and some stack 10 and get some cracking.. depends a lot on weight thickness age of case probably, etc…

Anyone use the bcw plastic graded bins. I have 6 of them but they are vertical standing up stacked 3 high I’ve seen some people say we should lay them on the sides with staples towards the ground?? Any one notice a difference between the traditional storage method to facing staples toward the ground?? 

On 8/23/2022 at 10:54 AM, lostboys said:

And you're probably fine...im guessing.

Slabs weigh about 1 lb.

So the slab at the bottom of that 20 high stack has 18-19 lbs of weight on top of it.

Is that enough to cause cracks in the plastic?

(shrug)

I'll let you know if I notice any

Been about 9 years so far, havent seen any yet

On 8/23/2022 at 1:09 PM, The Meta said:

I'll let you know if I notice any

Been about 9 years so far, havent seen any yet

Cool, cool.

The other thing is... I'm constantly looking at my books so getting to the bottom of a huge stack is a lot of work.

I just got a couple of the plastic BCW CGC storage boxes and they're pretty good. Since I like to store my slabs flat I just turned the boxes on their ends so the books still lie flat. And since they come with a divider, putting one in the middle of the stack helps keep all of the weight off the books so that only about 12-15 are actually pressing down on each other.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:40 PM, valiantman said:

I switched from stacking to storing them spine down.  I got tired of cracking the cases just about every time I needed to pull a book.

1090716715_cgcshelf1.jpg.9c1483dc7c2e06de72683acda647ce08.jpg

Looks like u need some tape to secure those flaps lol 

On 8/24/2022 at 9:11 AM, PMminer said:

I just got a couple of the plastic BCW CGC storage boxes and they're pretty good. Since I like to store my slabs flat I just turned the boxes on their ends so the books still lie flat. And since they come with a divider, putting one in the middle of the stack helps keep all of the weight off the books so that only about 12-15 are actually pressing down on each other.

I used the same box I tried to put it that way and used all three plastic dividers to give it added strength but they are only holding on by a few tabs it kinda bends after some time so not sure how much weight those dividers can support 

On 8/24/2022 at 7:09 PM, The Meta said:

Said that to a stripper once

Didn't go over well

^^

1. Buy collectibles insurance to cover loss, theft, flood, fire, etc. 

2. Rest easy.

B|

If you want to get creative, buy a big heavy used safe, throw some heavy but not too valuable stuff in it and keep it in your master bedroom. Put an empty box of ammo or gun holster on the top of the safe, easily visible to see <master bedrooms are the first place thieves hit, this safe is your decoy, once thieves see this, that's all they'll want to lug out of your house>.

Then store your valuables in a separate room in simple locking file cabinet or box with a couple family pictures or kids drawings taped to the side. 

xD

Edited by jcjames

On 8/24/2022 at 7:42 PM, jcjames said:

1. Buy collectibles insurance to cover loss, theft, flood, fire, etc. 

2. Rest easy.

B|

If you want to get creative, buy a big heavy used safe, as big as you can, throw some heavy but not too valuable stuff in it and keep it in your master bedroom. Put an empty box of ammo or gun holster on the top of the safe, easily visible to see <master bedrooms are the first place thieves hit, this safe is your decoy, once thieves see this, that's all they'll want to lug out of your house>.

Then store your valuables in a separate room in simple locking file cabinet or box with a couple family pictures or kids drawings taped to the side. 

xD

Thats what I've done. I have artwork that isn't worth much on my walls as well as my collection, but you pay a reasonable amount to have it insured

I'm building a house and contemplating having a John Wick storage space in the foundation 

Get a small safe as a decoy lol cram it with dirt or something, have that in the bedroom closet