• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to store CGC books

55 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm looking for advice on the best way to store higher priced CGC books. Not just to keep them out of the sun in a cool dark place, but more for safety and security purposes: fire, theft etc. Because of their size I don't see keeping them in a bank safety security box. Also I think I've heard that there might be issues with humidity with those too? Same with a home safe. Not sure about that though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

On 8/21/2022 at 9:12 AM, PMminer said:

Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm looking for advice on the best way to store higher priced CGC books. Not just to keep them out of the sun in a cool dark place, but more for safety and security purposes: fire, theft etc. Because of their size I don't see keeping them in a bank safety security box. Also I think I've heard that there might be issues with humidity with those too? Same with a home safe. Not sure about that though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Stack horizontally in a climate controlled area, I think that's about it. Do you have insurance? @valiantman Any revelations about storage since whenever?

Edited by KirbyTown

I've looked into insurance over the years but haven't pulled the trigger for various reasons. The way I store them now is fine - horizontal, dark, climate control. Just curious about finding a solution against theft, fire, acts of god and the like.

Where I am now there's no private vault companies that I can find.

On 8/21/2022 at 11:16 AM, PMminer said:

I've looked into insurance over the years but haven't pulled the trigger for various reasons. The way I store them now is fine - horizontal, dark, climate control. Just curious about finding a solution against theft, fire, acts of god and the like.

You might try the Golden Age forum; collectors with major items probably know how to store that stuff safely.@MrBedrock

Edited by KirbyTown

Isn't that what insurance is for? A friend had a steel security bar door put on a bedroom and bars on the window.  Thats good for preventing theft but not fire and water.

You should be able to get $50,000 coverage for less than a dollar a day, depending on where you live.

On 8/21/2022 at 1:27 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I have read on here that people use safety deposit boxes at the bank.  The thing you have to check on in that case is the environmental control - sometimes the entire HVAC system is shut down overnight which might lead to problems.

And even those aren't as safe as people think.

New York Times article:  Safe Deposit Boxes Aren't Safe.

If you aren't able to read the article on the New York Times website (they limit access)....you can read it here.

and

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 8/21/2022 at 2:25 PM, Domo Arigato said:

And even those aren't as safe as people think.

New York Times article:  Safe Deposit Boxes Aren't Safe.

and

It's probably fair to say there is no 100 percent safe way to store anything, valuable or not.  Insurance, as noted above, seems like an essential.

Wow, that's insane about the safety deposit boxes. I've never had a liking for banks anyway.

Going down this rabbit hole, it's easy to get paranoid. Aside from insurance it seems like the only real option is to just hope that nothing ever happens.

I felt the same way you did about hoping nothing happening. Back in 2015 someone broke into my house and took a few comics. They only got some new ones as I stacked the boxes with the good ones on the bottom behind the first boxes. After that happened i went all out and encased my house in iron grills on the windows and a security door. Got a little expensive but now I'm more comfortable.

I was looking at the Pelican 1470 but it's quite expensive for only 4 books.

Then I found this Casematrix "Pelican clone" on etsy which has double the capacity at a fraction of the price.  Still haven't bought any yet but thinking of pulling the trigger.

For me, I'm mostly concerned about accidental droppage or leak/water pipe burst.  If you really want to cover all the bases (theft, fire, etc) I think insurance is the only route to go.  Even a safety deposit box can be burglarized.  My understanding also is safety deposit box contents are not insured by the bank.

It seems to me your preference is to keep the items at home in which case I think placing obvious security cameras both indoors and out is a good deterrent and both convenient and economical these days.  If you have the space I'd go with a floor standing safe and pair it with the cases I mentioned.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:28 PM, Amra of the Ashanti said:

I felt the same way you did about hoping nothing happening. Back in 2015 someone broke into my house and took a few comics. They only got some new ones as I stacked the boxes with the good ones on the bottom behind the first boxes. After that happened i went all out and encased my house in iron grills on the windows and a security door. Got a little expensive but now I'm more comfortable.

Best strategy here.  Bury your valuables under a mountain of drek.  Someone who is dead set on breaking/entering/stealing will be difficult to stop completely.  However, only someone who really knows what they're looking for, and knows your inventory, will be likely to get away will all the good stuff.  And after digging through all the fodder and lifting and sifting through dozens of long boxes, they're likely to throw out their backs in the process.  Also, don't forget the insurance.  There are several companies that specialize in collectibles insurance.  It's not that big an expense if you have a significant investment of your net worth in your books.

Edited by davet75

On 8/21/2022 at 7:37 PM, 234wallst said:

It seems to me your preference is to keep the items at home in which case I think placing obvious security cameras both indoors and out is a good deterrent and both convenient and economical these days.  If you have the space I'd go with a floor standing safe and pair it with the cases I mentioned.

Security cameras are a great idea too, outside and inside.  Video to identify the culprit and their vehicle.  Someone looking to haul away long/short boxes aren't running away with them on foot.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:37 PM, 234wallst said:

I was looking at the Pelican 1470 but it's quite expensive for only 4 books.

Then I found this Casematrix "Pelican clone" on etsy which has double the capacity at a fraction of the price.  Still haven't bought any yet but thinking of pulling the trigger.

For me, I'm mostly concerned about accidental droppage or leak/water pipe burst.  If you really want to cover all the bases (theft, fire, etc) I think insurance is the only route to go.  Even a safety deposit box can be burglarized.  My understanding also is safety deposit box contents are not insured by the bank.

If you go the safe route, I think you'd need to get a really large, solid and heavy safe that you bolt to the floor/wall.  Otherwise you're advertising that the best stuff is in a case that someone can carry off, distinguishing it from your long boxes of less valuable stuff.  They can always take the case/portable safe with them and break it open later.

Edited by davet75

I watched this and basically it sounds like having a safe only buys time, not security, as he mentions. Also having several layers of security is important.

I appreciate all the advice. For me it's about protecting my slabbed books so hiding them among my raw books in long boxes wouldn't work. They stand out like a sore thumb and are pretty obvious that they're something different/valuable.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:51 PM, KirbyTown said:

Stack horizontally in a climate controlled area, I think that's about it. Do you have insurance? @valiantman Any revelations about storage since whenever?

horizontally sounds like flat. definitely do not store flat!

there are large 10 x 10 x deep safe deposit boxes around, depending on your city. i have used them for years with no issues. home storage is okay too and you can buy insurance for your collection with CIS collectibles insurance services. 

On 8/21/2022 at 10:16 AM, PMminer said:

I recommend staying on the good side of God. 2c