• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM NYX #3 1st appearance Laura Kinney
2 2

7 posts in this topic

Appreciate some assistance on the possible grading for this comic.  This is my first post to the forum as I just discovered it after finding this comic was an interesting one and doing some net searches.  I picked up a stack of more recent comics (200o to 2010) for reading but was surprised when checking out what we had gotten.  I am new to grading, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

To me the main flaw is on the bottom left corner by the bar code, and a couple of small dents.  There are 3 pictures of the corner, as from the side it looks worse than from the top, and one is from the back where it is not to bad.  In the last picture I circled the dents.   Otherwise it looks pretty good to my untrained eye. 

Hope I got the guidelines correct, many thanks.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

Edited by Upallnight

Presumably if you bought a stack for reading, you didn't pay market price for this book. You are quite lucky.

I believe you've accurately described the defects. I don't see anything additional that's concerning. If you're new to grading, you may be also new to cleaning and pressing (C&P). With a book like this, it is worth getting it graded for preservation and reselling if that ever comes up. I believe a C&Per can take most of those dents out. It's a little hard to see if there is (or how much) color breaking around them b/c of the light color. The bottom one I'm pretty sure doesn't. A C&Per would also make the corner look a little cleaner, but you can't fix the blunting. I believe you are looking at a 9.0 as is, and possibly a 9.4 if pressed. You're probably looking at a $600-800 book if C&Ped and graded. Not too shabby.

On 8/21/2022 at 9:19 PM, scburdet said:

Presumably if you bought a stack for reading, you didn't pay market price for this book. You are quite lucky....

... I believe a C&Per can take most of those dents out. It's a little hard to see if there is (or how much) color breaking around them b/c of the light color.

Thank you very much, appreciate the post.  I was lucky, it was a yard sale stack of about 30, so pure, sheer ignorance and luck on my part!  

By color breaking, is that the difference between a dent where the color remains solid throughout the dent vs. where the dent causes damage and even if pressed out it shows?  

Edited by Upallnight

On 8/21/2022 at 9:44 PM, Upallnight said:

dent where the color remains solid

exactly. I had found a list of terms used in comic grading at some point, and now I can't find the link again. Here is a decent enough primer: https://blog.gocollect.com/collecting-101-foxing-color-breaks-and-spine-rolls/

On 8/21/2022 at 8:44 PM, Upallnight said:

By color breaking, is that the difference between a dent where the color remains solid throughout the dent vs. where the dent causes damage and even if pressed out it shows?

Welcome! Awesome comic and great luck on the pickup.

Not every crease is bad enough to crack/break the cover ink, but every break will have an accompanying crease. A pressing service can remove the crease but not the break; you can heal the wound but the scar is forever.

Here are flattened color-breaking creases; the bends were removed, the breaks remain.

image.jpeg.42eea55524188b1d229d39d862c83aff.jpeg

Edited by KirbyTown