• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there any well-known creators still alive that did comics in the forties or early fifties?

47 posts in this topic

Yeah the list gets shorter and shorter. When I first started going to SDCC in the early nineties I made a point of attending the Golden Age panel where you got to listen to many of the greats. Well that slowly morphed into the Silver Age panel and I don't even know if that is still able to fill up the podiums. Anyway great memories; I know many of those were video recorded. It would be great if that was released for sale.

On 8/21/2022 at 8:36 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yeah the list gets shorter and shorter. When I first started going to SDCC in the early nineties I made a point of attending the Golden Age panel where you got to listen to many of the greats. Well that slowly morphed into the Silver Age panel and I don't even know if that is still able to fill up the podiums. Anyway great memories; I know many of those were video recorded. It would be great if that was released for sale.

Those must be some awesome memories, being at those panels. Wish I could see a video of one!

On 8/21/2022 at 11:47 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Jules Feiffer did some work during the Golden Age and of course did some great work of his own along with developing the Great Comic Book Heroes in 1966 or so. I believe he is still with us.

After a quick search on Google, I can confirm he’s still alive. 

On 8/22/2022 at 12:42 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Those must be some awesome memories, being at those panels. Wish I could see a video of one!

Well I know they were all recorded and if you searched Mark Evanier's News from Me site you could find the name of the individual who recorded each one faithfully. I wonder why they haven't made them available? I may send in a query to his site.

Speaking of GA creators, I was speaking to one of them during the 2000 at the San Diego Con and he told me a fascinating story that was not even comic related yet is one of the most vivid memories I have from conversations I have had with comic creators. He was due to attend the first Science Fiction convention, in early July 1939, yet he missed it. I was stunned to hear that, because I knew he was not only a big Sci-fi fan but considered a founder. So, I asked him what would make him miss that, thinking to myself he must have been very sick that day, or some terrible event happened with his family or a close friend. Nope. He was a huge Yankee fan, he told me, which I had no idea of. Can anyone tell me what was going on at Yankee stadium on July 4th,1939? And who this creator was? I think most of you will know who he is...

Link to Wilki first Sci-fi convention - 1st World Science Fiction Convention - Wikipedia

On 8/22/2022 at 2:46 PM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

Speaking of GA creators, I was speaking to one of them during the 2000 at the San Diego Con and he told me a fascinating story that was not even comic related yet is one of the most vivid memories I have from conversations I have had with comic creators. He was due to attend the first Science Fiction convention, in early July 1939, yet he missed it. I was stunned to hear that, because I knew he was not only a big Sci-fi fan but considered a founder. So, I asked him what would make him miss that, thinking to myself he must have been very sick that day, or some terrible event happened with his family or a close friend. Nope. He was a huge Yankee fan, he told me, which I had no idea of. Can anyone tell me what was going on at Yankee stadium on July 4th,1939? And who this creator was? I think most of you will know who he is...

Link to Wilki first Sci-fi convention - 1st World Science Fiction Convention - Wikipedia

Yankee Stadium July 4 1939

Lou Gehrig Appreciation Day where Gehrig says farewell to baseball with his "Luckiest Man" speech.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/july-4-1939-lou-gehrig-appreciation-day-ruth-and-gehrig-end-feud/

So Mark Evanier was good enough to reply to my query on the availability of the SDCC Golden Age panels on video tape. You can also go to his website where he discusses how these panels dried up. His answer follows:

"The panels of the past were sometimes videotaped…not professionally but just as a record. There are dozens of problems that would need to be worked out before we could make them available in any form and I need to start dealing with those issues and talking with the other folks involved. I think those videos will be available some day in some place or some form but I can't tell you how or when or where. It's a more complex matter than you might imagine."

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 8/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

Speaking of GA creators,..... He was a huge Yankee fan, he told me, which I had no idea of. Can anyone tell me what was going on at Yankee stadium on July 4th,1939? And who this creator was? I think most of you will know who he is...

My guess is Julie Schwartz