• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there any well-known creators still alive that did comics in the forties or early fifties?

47 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2024 at 3:04 PM, OtherEric said:

I just realized one more creator from the 50's who we do still have with us:  Arnold Roth, who is better known as a cartoonist than for his comic book work, but did stuff on Kurtzman's Trump, Humbug, and Help.

Yes, but I don't think that he did any comic book work in the pre-code era.

On 3/10/2024 at 12:10 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Yes, but I don't think that he did any comic book work in the pre-code era.

Fair enough; although I don't think Bob Bolling did either.  I could be wrong on that point, I frequently am.

On 3/10/2024 at 3:18 PM, OtherEric said:

Fair enough; although I don't think Bob Bolling did either.  I could be wrong on that point, I frequently am.

According to his Wikipedia page, Bolling started freelancing for Archie Comics in '54. If that's true, then he just barely squeaks in as a pre-code artist. Since it's Wikipedia, it may or may not be true.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/10/2024 at 3:21 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

According to his Wikipedia page, Bolling started freelancing for Archie Comics in '54. If that's true, then he just barely squeaks in as a pre-code artist. Since it's Wikipedia, it may or may not be true.

GCD has his first work as Archie Giant Series Magazine #2, which was code approved.  The timing is close enough that the two aren't incompatible; he could have been working for them in late '54 but didn't actually appear until '55.  Given how iffy credits from the era are, we may never know for sure.