• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will books fade under standard room lights?
2 2

60 posts in this topic

So I have my books displayed in my office, no sunlight hits the room at all. I have standard halogen lights in there on most of the day. 

All the slabs are in the E Gerber Mylite bags (say they protect against UV rays but 🤷🏻‍♂️)

In your guys’ experiences, are books in this environment and protection safe from fading or should I be rotating these out/putting them in a box?

CF19E831-D0B1-4186-ABCE-6A02E636E05A.jpeg

Halogen emits UV radiation and will fade those books.

Also, as shadroc points out, displaying such key books will undoubtedly attract unwanted attention. May not be from invited visitors but people do talk, word does get around. 

Edited by jcjames

So I just pulled out one of the bulbs and apparently I switched these to LED soft whites several months ago and forgot until now haha.  So that is good i suppose

And yeah this office is in the basement with no windows or ways to see in.  If someone broke in and made their way down to my office I am sure they would take everything regardless of if things were on display or in a box, and I do buy these to look at and appreciate them (and they are all insured, so there's that I guess)

On 8/24/2022 at 7:36 AM, Venomous72 said:

So I just pulled out one of the bulbs and apparently I switched these to LED soft whites several months ago and forgot until now haha.  So that is good i suppose

And yeah this office is in the basement with no windows or ways to see in.  If someone broke in and made their way down to my office I am sure they would take everything regardless of if things were on display or in a box, and I do buy these to look at and appreciate them (and they are all insured, so there's that I guess)

Your bat and ball. Your rules.  People won't be tempted to break in if the books were in a box and no one knew they were there.  Most office complexes don't have the greatest security and every person that enters your office speaks to how many people about it?  A lawyer friend in Pennslyvania accepted a box of comics as collateral on a case, says he told no one about it but months later when the client made good on his bill, half the books were gone. 

On 8/24/2022 at 10:12 AM, shadroch said:

Your bat and ball. Your rules.  People won't be tempted to break in if the books were in a box and no one knew they were there.  Most office complexes don't have the greatest security and every person that enters your office speaks to how many people about it?  A lawyer friend in Pennslyvania accepted a box of comics as collateral on a case, says he told no one about it but months later when the client made good on his bill, half the books were gone. 

I thought he meant his office at home, but could be wrong, does this also mean be wary of the registry? I thought maybe that was ok but now I'm not sure. 

On 8/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, Venomous72 said:
On 8/24/2022 at 10:14 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I thought he meant his office at home, but could be wrong, does this also mean be wary of the registry? I thought maybe that was ok but now I'm not sure. 

Yeah this is my home office 

Advice holds true to be careful what you show online or elsewhere, remember these boards can be read by people who don't have an account.

I've always posted acquisitions and have a pic filled registry, but I've seen everyone else do it too? (shrug) 

On 8/24/2022 at 10:27 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Advice holds true to be careful what you show online or elsewhere, remember these boards can be read by people who don't have an account.

I've always posted acquisitions and have a pic filled registry, but I've seen everyone else do it too? (shrug) 

You're not posting your address right?

On 8/24/2022 at 10:30 AM, KirbyTown said:

You're not posting your address right?

no I'm sure with the CGC boards that is all behind a log in screen lol and then not visible to anyone but me, js