• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - New Mutatns #98
3 3

11 posts in this topic

I have a nice looking New Mutants #98 here. Value wise only worth grading it if it hits a 9.6 and above. What do you guys think about the grade? I will have it pressed and cleaned before submitting it for grading; however, a press will not help with the tiny crease on the bottom left corner of the back cover (photo of that included.) It's really small. That's the only flaw that i see. Please let me know what grade and i would appreciate a detail on the reason. Thank you.

NewMutants9801.jpg

NewMutants9802.jpg

NewMutants9803.jpg

NewMutants9804.jpg

NewMutants9805.jpg

NewMutants9806.jpg

NewMutants9807.jpg

NewMutants9808.jpg

NewMutants9809.jpg

NewMutants9810.jpg

NewMutants9811.jpg

There's clearly a bit of a miscut b/c the back cover image wraps around to the front. It's unclear to me how CGC treats these b/c it seems to have been a bigger deal early in their existence. I have a hard time seeing a 9.8 and all I typically say with something like this is a >9.2. I think maybe a 9.4 b/c of the tiny crease you indicate.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:45 PM, scburdet said:

There's clearly a bit of a miscut b/c the back cover image wraps around to the front. It's unclear to me how CGC treats these b/c it seems to have been a bigger deal early in their existence. I have a hard time seeing a 9.8 and all I typically say with something like this is a >9.2. I think maybe a 9.4 b/c of the tiny crease you indicate.

Yes the back cover is visible on the front side. I look through a lot of other listings on ebay, and like you said it's somewhat common, although this copy is more pronounced.

On 8/26/2022 at 5:10 PM, KirbyTown said:

The wrap is fine in a 9.8, the corner break is going to depend on the press-out. For next time, is it possible for you to take the zoom out pics with the same clarity as the pencil closeup?

You're saying the zoomed pencil photo is more clear than the other photos, or the other way, around?

On 8/26/2022 at 7:16 PM, grigoriane said:

You're saying the zoomed pencil photo is more clear than the other photos, or the other way, around?

The pencil pic appears to be clearer; the others may have just been shaky or too far, I don't know. Either way, thanks for what you posted!