• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2022 - October 6th - 9th - Javits Center - New York, NY.
3 3

78 posts in this topic

Scrolled back and searched.  I did not see a thread for this so... 

First order of business. 

I received my pass today and when I typed in the link to activate my badge I was redirected to the main site. 

Simple google search revealed others are having this problem:  Thanks Reddit !

To activate your badge you must go to https://www.showclix.com/my-tickets/login and log in using the email address you registered with.  Then go to mange your tickets and follow the activate option and enter in your badge number. 

NYCC2022.com/activate is not taking you to anywhere you can go to activate your ticket. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/1/2022 at 10:24 PM, Buzzetta said:

Scrolled back and searched.  I did not see a thread for this so... 

First order of business. 

I received my pass today and when I typed in the link to activate my badge I was redirected to the main site. 

Simple google search revealed others are having this problem:  Thanks Reddit !

To activate your badge you must go to https://www.showclix.com/my-tickets/login and log in using the email address you registered with.  Then go to mange your tickets and follow the activate option and enter in your badge number. 

NYCC2022.com/activate is not taking you to anywhere you can go to activate your ticket. 

Good to know and also surprised this is the only thread for NYCC.  Is there just not much excitement for this con or is everyone just too wiped out from the summer to bother going?

On 9/2/2022 at 11:58 AM, justafan said:

Good to know and also surprised this is the only thread for NYCC.  Is there just not much excitement for this con or is everyone just too wiped out from the summer to bother going?

Nothing to get excited about…guest list is pretty weak, rising booth costs have eliminated some more dealers from setting up this year, and as someone from out of town, airfare and hotel rates are through the roof this year.

definitely not worthwhile going to this show this year

On 9/3/2022 at 8:20 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Nothing to get excited about…guest list is pretty weak, rising booth costs have eliminated some more dealers from setting up this year, and as someone from out of town, airfare and hotel rates are through the roof this year.

One of the things I have always suggested in order to beat the high prices of hotels and restaurants in Manhattan is to stay at a hotel on Long Island and take the Long Island Railroad into the city.   The Babylon Branch of the LIRR runs parallel to Sunrise Highway which features hotels near each station.   The train ride from Lynbrook should be about a half hour in and the train from Massapequa should be about an hour in and they are direct lines. You get on, sit down get off at the last stop which is Penn Station, Manhattan. 

The yellow east / west line is Sunrise Highway and there are a few hotels from Massapequa to Lynbrook that are definitely cheaper than staying in the city.  There are plenty of restaurants in Lynbrook and adjoining Rockville Centre as well as Merrick and Massapequa. 

image.thumb.png.8a382be9345190f11528dc9e7544ffaa.png

There are hotels in Queens and Brooklyn but they involve taking the subway (different from the LIRR) after the show and depending on where you are going that can get a little confusing for visitors if not in some cases dangerous as the subways can be a sheet show.  

While we are at it... 

lol 

Certain city rules to consider for those unfamiliar with the subway. 

1. If the subway is crowded and you see a car that is mostly empty, there is a reason it is probably empty.   Eyes and ears open at all times.  For all you know the car is empty because a few people have turned it into their own campgrounds.
  2. Look before you sit.  Yes, I have seen people sit in someone else's feces stain.  Disgusting but true.  Our homeless sometimes cannot hold it in.  They release.  They wipe on the seats leaving a brown stain on the blue seats.  If the seat is discolored, stand.  
  3. If standing, look before you touch the bar.  There is nothing worse in the world than touching the support bar or anything else in the subway and then wondering why your hand is wet and then praying that it is water.  I stand. 
  4. When you get to your stop, walk out the doors... and keep walking.  Don't take a step out and then start to check your phone to see where you have to go next. There are others behind you trying to get off.  You will get shoved.  
  5. Do not pet any animals.  Yes, you read that right.  Do not pet any animals.  There are people that are crazy enough to bring their dogs on leashes on the subway during rush hour.  These poor animals are weirded out enough by all the new sights and smells.  They are tolerant and some do not want to be touched.  Don't put a dog in a situation where the dog is being a dog and snaps at you to keep away.  I've seen that and then they blame the dog which is sad.
  6. If you have anything of value keep it in your front pockets or securely in your bag.  Don't talk about high end deals or what others are spending. 
  7. Don't draw negative attention to yourself.  
  8. ...

Anyone want to add any others. 

The show has been dying a slow death over the last ten years for the reasons that you mentioned.  However, I think that all shows are on their way out to some degree.  The pandemic exacerbated the problem.  With lockdowns people vendors sought other venues to share their product and make announcement. 

Hasbro stopped attending the show around 2012 if I recall and at best, rented a suite at a hotel as it was cheaper than setting up for the Javits.   During the pandemic they increased their social media presence with weekly reveals and discussions for their product.  Hasbro had Hascon this year which was like their own online comic con.  They showcased product that would go on sale as soon as the show ended, did reviews of product and what was coming down the pipeline.  Lego had Legocon which did product reveals across all sublines and also had bands and guest hosts. 

We now have vendors doing live claim shows where the only cost is a facebook membership or a youtube account.  There is another Dueling Dealers of Art this Saturday afternoon. 

Artists are selling their art on Facebook and IG and their own websites.  Why sit there at a show for hours on end staring into the crowd hoping that someone is going to come along with a pile of cash to pay for their work?

As much as I enjoy going and browsing, cons are becoming obsolete. 

On 9/3/2022 at 1:13 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Agreed…the show has been dying a slow death.  Soon, only the Corporate comic companies will set up at the show because They’ll be the only ones who can afford the fees

I don’t even know if that will happen.  Marvel wasn’t there last year if I recall… I think only DC was ?  I could easily see Marvel eventually abandoning this and / or San Diego as Disney increases the Marvel presence at D23 each year. 

The show doesn’t need to be in the Javits though and I wonder if there could ever be a smaller and more affordable venue.  After the Javits though, what is there? 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/3/2022 at 1:21 PM, Buzzetta said:

I don’t even know if that will happen.  Marvel wasn’t there last year if I recall… I think only DC was ?  I could easily see Marvel eventually abandoning this and / or San Diego as Disney increases the Marvel presence at D23 each year. 

The show doesn’t need to be in the Javits though and I wonder if there could ever be a smaller and more affordable venue.  After the Javits though, what is there? 

Let me clarify… I meant to say that the weekend warriors won’t be there to sell their overstock/personal collections.  All that’s left would be the bigger setups, such as Metropolis, Reece, etc

On 9/3/2022 at 1:35 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Let me clarify… I meant to say that the weekend warriors won’t be there to sell their overstock/personal collections.  All that’s left would be the bigger setups, such as Metropolis, Reece, etc

Ohhhhh yeah. 

Some of the weekend guys though have grinder their way to have interesting booths like Absolute Comics and even the big store in Jersey bought table space last year though.  

On 9/3/2022 at 3:02 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Zapp comics?

Yeah Zapp comics.  I had to look at the label on the book I bought from them last year to confirm.  Jaybuck introduced me to them last year.  Good guys. 

Edited by Buzzetta

It's definitely nowhere near as good as it was 10-12 years ago. That being said, I still find it pretty enjoyable. Last year, I don't think Marvel or DC were there; DC has barely had a presence outside of some panels for a few years pre-Covid (just doing a small installation at the south end of the lobby, not a kind of booth), but they were still doing the FanDome thing last year, and Marvel was among the big names that backed out of having a floor presence. I also thought last year felt like it had more dealers than previous, which was great. This year's content...still hasn't really been totally announced I think, which is different and annoying compared to previous years (usually by Labor Day, at least 80-90% of the stuff is announced and panel schedules have started going online, but right now, not much of anything). Still can't do any kind of planning or anything yet...sigh.

On 9/3/2022 at 8:36 AM, Buzzetta said:

One of the things I have always suggested in order to beat the high prices of hotels and restaurants in Manhattan is to stay at a hotel on Long Island and take the Long Island Railroad into the city.   The Babylon Branch of the LIRR runs parallel to Sunrise Highway which features hotels near each station.   The train ride from Lynbrook should be about a half hour in and the train from Massapequa should be about an hour in and they are direct lines. You get on, sit down get off at the last stop which is Penn Station, Manhattan. 

The yellow east / west line is Sunrise Highway and there are a few hotels from Massapequa to Lynbrook that are definitely cheaper than staying in the city.  There are plenty of restaurants in Lynbrook and adjoining Rockville Centre as well as Merrick and Massapequa. 

image.thumb.png.8a382be9345190f11528dc9e7544ffaa.png

There are hotels in Queens and Brooklyn but they involve taking the subway (different from the LIRR) after the show and depending on where you are going that can get a little confusing for visitors if not in some cases dangerous as the subways can be a sheet show.  

Good suggestions.  I'll look into the LIRR.  It'll depend on the hotel cost savings and how much the LIRR round trip and last return times are.  I usually max out my time at the con getting in when the doors open at 10am to the public and leave after 7pm dodging the ushers while I'm making my rounds completing some final purchases from dealers.  I was going to look at staying in Queens or Brooklyn and taking the subway as I've been to NYC enough to be familiar with how to navigate the lines.  Even the hotels in Queens and the other boroughs are pretty pricey for a 2 night stay.  Manhattan is ridiculous.  Not looking to pay $400-700 just to guarantee a private bathroom but I also don't want to risk bedbugs and rough neighborhoods either.  

I was beginning to question my motivation (or lack thereof) about going to this show until I read your comment and some other's comments on here.  I know of a couple of dealers that have already backed out of the show and know the big studios and toy companies aren't attending.  Plus the guest list is so weak it doesn't offer any alternative fringe benefits of attending if the comic dealer presence is weak.  On the other hand that might make it less crowded and less competitive for shopping.  At least the hallways will be less congested.  

However, if Baltimore is going to have 95% of the same dealers and there's not going to be any real difference in comic stock from NYCC to Baltimore I might as well just sell my NYCC tickets and save my money for Baltimore.  That'll leave me with at least an extra $600 to spend in Baltimore which is the 2 night hotel and food + amtrak budget I'm shooting for NYCC.

Honestly, now I'm even questioning why I'm spending $600 to attend a con where I might not net a deal or a rare-in-the-wild find that would make up for the expense.  In year's past I would take my family and make a vacation out of it to justify the expense but this year it's just me so it really doesn't justify the cost. 

I'm curious to hear what other attendees on here who live far enough away that a hotel stay is a requirement to attend are feeling about this show.  Is it going to be worth it for you to attend?  Am I nuts for considering spending $600 just to be able to attending this show or is that a normal outlay for most folks who regularly attend?

To echo Justafan’s sentiment, last year I attended NYCC and Baltimore Comic Con. The only reason I went to Baltimore was because I didn’t spend all of my allowance at NYCC.

It was my first time going to Baltimore Comic Con, and I was so glad I did! I picked up the first issue of Phantom Stranger 1 (GA series). A book that rarely show up.

from a pure comic buying perspective, Baltimore beats NYCC hands down.

I do like NYCC especially when video game companies come with there soon to be released game. But in a post-COVID world, I’m not sure if any video game company will return to NYCC

I know for a fact that Marvel will be there this year... but for the first time ever, Jaybuck43 will not be.  I've been at every NYCC since 2006.  Sorry, not paying $300+ just for tickets, with a guest list that's a joke and jacked up dealer prices.  I'm going to Granite Con next week.  $55 for the weekend ticket plus $250 for the hotel ($119 a night) and I figure about $100 for gas (a tank each way) so it'll cost me $400 to attend for a much better guest list and much cheaper dealers.  

On 9/8/2022 at 9:46 AM, jaybuck43 said:

I know for a fact that Marvel will be there this year... but for the first time ever, Jaybuck43 will not be.  I've been at every NYCC since 2006.  Sorry, not paying $300+ just for tickets, with a guest list that's a joke and jacked up dealer prices.  I'm going to Granite Con next week.  $55 for the weekend ticket plus $250 for the hotel ($119 a night) and I figure about $100 for gas (a tank each way) so it'll cost me $400 to attend for a much better guest list and much cheaper dealers.  

$300 for tickets! Oh you were probably talking about going all 4 days.  Yeah, no, I don't go on Saturdays or Sundays unless some really amazing guest or artist is appearing.  Thursday and Friday are my favorite days to go and I can usually hit every comic dealer by Friday evening so I'm only $140 into the show.  Even Sunday was an absolute S-show with the crowds blocking all the alleys between dealers last time I went before the pandemic.  That time I did go on Sunday I was hoping to negotiate some last day deals with dealers but couldn't ever make it to the specific dealers booths to negotiate due to having to fight the crowds of POPs toy shoppers, cosplayers, gawkers, photographers, and vloggers clogging the aisles. 

@Jaybuck43 as a relatively local attendee with no hotel expense, if you're passing on going for even a day it really makes me doubt spending an additional $600 to attend for 2 days.