• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I always get CGC to Press my 1960's Comics
2 2

7 posts in this topic

Hi fellow CGC members,

I have always sent my Silver Age comics to CGC with instructions to clean and press. However, after my recent visit to USA from UK where I purchased a few key comics from an LCS in Chicago and Charleston, I'm unclear what to do.

These comics have been pressed by the shop and look pretty good. So far as to say, at least grade 9.4, I think.

I'm going to send them to CGC for grading but, unsure if I should get them pressed again ?

Can anyone advise me if it's a good policy to get them re-pressed regardless. Only because you never know if you might miss out on a higher grade if you don't. 

I think CGC have a screening process but, for this situation and for just 4 comics, I'm not sure.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Colin

Edited by Colin Nash

I would say you don't always need to. 

If the books have been pressed and you can't see pressable defects (non color breaking creases, pencil marks that can be dry cleaned, finger prints) I wouldn't have them pressed.  

It's probably safest to minimize how often they are handled between leaving the UK and grading. 

Thank you for your helpful feedback. I think I can now assess the comics and decide but, Its looking like they would need only grading.

We have a GCG office here in London called NGC UK. They are a coin dealership but, are also part of CGC. I've used them often and turn around times have always been excellent. Fingers crossed though as, CGC have new owners since my last submission.

Kind regards,

Colin

Edited by Colin Nash