• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you press a book that you thought was already a 9.8??? Talking modern books
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

Specifically thinking about doing a pre-screen for 25 books that I think are 9.8's. Just a hope, of course.

My question....with pressing times no matter who you use, and more importantly possibly damaging the book....would you get them pressed?

Some of them are on the 9.6/9.8 border.

I normally get all of my books pressed I want to encapsulate, but wasn't sure about the consensus on books that were already near perfect/ mint.

Thanks for you feedback!

On 9/4/2022 at 7:49 PM, Dan Connoy said:

Hello,

Specifically thinking about doing a pre-screen for 25 books that I think are 9.8's. Just a hope, of course.

My question....with pressing times no matter who you use, and more importantly possibly damaging the book....would you get them pressed?

Some of them are on the 9.6/9.8 border.

I normally get all of my books pressed I want to encapsulate, but wasn't sure about the consensus on books that were already near perfect/ mint.

Thanks for you feedback!

Yup, as a matter of practice I press everything before I send it in. No point in paying for reject books that you will just press and re-submit later. 

Full disclosure though that I press my own comics. The cost of having someone else do it would completely change the math. 

On 9/4/2022 at 7:31 PM, comicginger1789 said:

If you have been in the game long enough and know a book is a 9.8, then save your money and forego the press.

If you have not, spend the extra money to ensure that any 9.6 remnants are for sure not present when it is graded.

Good point - I have been in the game for a bit and tend to undergrade.. I just thought of another thing that leans me towards pressing....what if the press bumps it up to a 9.9 (totally subjective and extremely rare, I know. Like winning the lottery), that would make it worth it!

I guess I had to talk myself into it.

Now to find a presser that isn't 6 months out!

On 9/4/2022 at 8:51 PM, Dan Connoy said:

Good point - I have been in the game for a bit and tend to undergrade.. I just thought of another thing that leans me towards pressing....what if the press bumps it up to a 9.9 (totally subjective and extremely rare, I know. Like winning the lottery), that would make it worth it!

I mean, I would never, ever think or consider a 9.9 as an option but ya never know. Good like finding a fast presser during these times!

On 9/4/2022 at 8:14 PM, Stefan_W said:

Yup, as a matter of practice I press everything before I send it in. No point in paying for reject books that you will just press and re-submit later. 

Full disclosure though that I press my own comics. The cost of having someone else do it would completely change the math. 

Only out of curiosity what would you estimate your success rate of what you feel are 9.6's into 9.8's?  Also your accidental damage %?  Thanks!

images.png

On 9/4/2022 at 10:06 PM, MAR1979 said:

Only out of curiosity what would you estimate your success rate of what you feel are 9.6's into 9.8's?  Also your accidental damage %?  Thanks!

Accidental damage almost never happens so extremely low to nothing. 

Wrt to turning 9.6s into 9.8s it really depends on the reason why it is a 9.6. If it is a dent that does not break colour I get those out pretty much every time. Some other flaws may take multiple presses to get out, and a few simply will not be fixed. The single biggest benefit to pressing my own comics is that I can check a comic after the press to see if it came out as well as I hoped. I have learned to be absolutely ruthless when looking at my books after pressing, and I create my own reject pile with books that I initially thought were good enough to send in. 

Working on it.