• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slabbing value question
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Still a brand-newbie at this (I posted on the board about re-opening my childhood collection after 30 years), but here's my question:

I want to sell some of my collection. I have a lot of books that sell for a few bucks raw or over $100 slabbed at 9.8.

A lot of people think slabbing your own stuff is a waste of money, but why wouldn't I take all my best-looking books (no obvious blemishes) that routinely get over $100 on eBay at 9.8, submit them for prescreening at 9.8 and just send them all at once. Even with shipping both ways, it seems like I'd make a profit, no?

Here's one example, but I have tons of books like this (this isn't my book, just a book I own selling for a lot more slabbed):

image.thumb.png.058863652b058968f8b1586c3c4824a8.png

Edited by stephenlev

On 9/6/2022 at 11:45 AM, 'Lorider said:

Are you really sure you can pick out 9.8s???

No, I'm not sure - but I can eliminate books that I'm pretty sure wouldn't qualify, and I can easily find 25-30 books in my collection that would get over $100 if they do make 9.8 (unless I'm way off and a ton of these don't make it, in which case bad news for me)

On 9/6/2022 at 5:37 AM, stephenlev said:

Still a brand-newbie at this (I posted on the board about re-opening my childhood collection after 30 years), but here's my question:

I want to sell some of my collection. I have a lot of books that sell for a few bucks raw or over $100 slabbed at 9.8.

A lot of people think slabbing your own stuff is a waste of money, but why wouldn't I take all my best-looking books (no obvious blemishes) that routinely get over $100 on eBay at 9.8, submit them for prescreening at 9.8 and just send them all at once. Even with shipping both ways, it seems like I'd make a profit, no?

Here's one example, but I have tons of books like this (this isn't my book, just a book I own selling for a lot more slabbed):

image.thumb.png.058863652b058968f8b1586c3c4824a8.png

Theoretically you are right.  And now you see why submission turnaround times are so high.  Many many reasonable people feel this way.  And many of them are right!

if you are confident in your skills and can tie up your money for a year, and have physical space to store the slabs upon return, go for it!

make sure you work out the math though.

for the ebay example you showed, factor in eBay and PayPal fees, plus possibly your own state and federal income taxes to get a true idea of how much you net per book.  Make sure you record all your expenses for tax purposes too

On 9/6/2022 at 12:46 PM, revat said:

if you are confident in your skills and can tie up your money for a year, and have physical space to store the slabs upon return, go for it!

make sure you work out the math though.

I'd probably be selling these through mycomicshop, since I don't have a well-known eBay store, so there's their commission too. But I think for books I could list for $100, it still could make sense. 

I wish there was a local person who could look at my books and tell me if they had a shot at a 9.8. I know I can post in the forum, but I'd love to hear from someone who could look IRL. Anyone on here from Dayton, Ohio?

My guide for a 9.8... I send a lot to 9.8 prescreen

These three are the most important aspects of a 9.8

Absolutely no color breaking spine ticks, in fact no color breaks whatsoever

No more than three spine bends and these can't be more than 2 mm's in length

No impressions on the cover of any kind

now, some graders will be more liberal in grading allowing a color break spine tick/more spine bends/some impressions but you risk it, some graders wont grade anything a 9.8 unless it's completely flawless

other than these, the comic should be flat and shiny..it should look like a perfect copy

but TBH, the only way to get the experience is to take the risk

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 9/6/2022 at 3:05 PM, 'Lorider said:

I think this is important for Newbs to know. I don't think they hold the comic up to a light at an angle enough (thumbsu

My other advice is COUNT THE PAGES!

yep, holding up to a strong light at an angle is very important

It's possible that you can make a profit doing that, but you must also be able to accept the risk of not profiting at all, since we're talking about low-value on the $$$$$ scale. With current TATs, you never really know what stuff will be worth when it gets back to you.