• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN Punisher #1 newsstand
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Slight spine roll, a few spine ticks with a couple that break color (see price box).

All three of your books have color breaking spine ticks and that is why I did not assign a higher grade, how does CGC view these?

7.5 VERY FINE- (VF-):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Fine but with an additional defect or small accumulation of defects that detracts from the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

On 9/7/2022 at 10:07 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Slight spine roll, a few spine ticks with a couple that break color (see price box).

All three of your books have color breaking spine ticks and that is why I did not assign a higher grade, how does CGC view these?

7.5 VERY FINE- (VF-):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Fine but with an additional defect or small accumulation of defects that detracts from the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

Really? I've seen way worse go for higher grades.. guess I'll see what a clean n press can do

9.0 - possible a 9.2 with press but it might just end up as a slightly nicer looking 9.0 ?   Based on the edge of the book seen in the front pics the page quality may be less than white. Although since it's 1987  newsstand not as much of a hit as for direct sale.

Make note from my personal experience this is one of those books CGC is very tough on and more so in last year than ever. Same also goes for the 1986 Limited #1. You might say CGC punishes the Punisher :)

Edited by MAR1979

Screenshot_20220907_123210.jpg.494ef4dcd7e7c7cad5cf22f61aa386ea.jpg

If this is being identified as a color-breaking spine tick, it's not. It's a production flaw.

Here's my copy, with a worse wrap, for comparison.

Screenshot_20220907_123340.thumb.jpg.16f2b8511b4770450ada9b23b161d464.jpg

Thanks for posting.

On 9/7/2022 at 1:36 PM, grendelbo said:

Screenshot_20220907_123210.jpg.494ef4dcd7e7c7cad5cf22f61aa386ea.jpg

If this is being identified as a color-breaking spine tick, it's not. It's a production flaw.

Here's my copy, with a worse wrap, for comparison.

Screenshot_20220907_123340.thumb.jpg.16f2b8511b4770450ada9b23b161d464.jpg

Thanks for posting.

Oh wow okay. Yeah to me I felt it was a random mark, everything looked pretty nice to me so I figured it wasn't an actual tick situation. Thanks

On 9/7/2022 at 1:23 PM, comicjoe1234 said:

Really? I've seen way worse go for higher grades.. guess I'll see what a clean n press can do

I certainly hope you do receive a higher grade.

By no means am I saying CGC is not a good company and you should not have your books graded, however, as an outside observer, I cannot tell you what CGC will say, I do not use their services (all of my books are Raw) and from everything I have been reading lately, CGC is inconsistent at best on their grading, seems like they make things up as they go along and it is a "crapshoot" on what grade you will receive.

According to the "Printed Grading Standards" (not CGC's secret grading standards) spine ticks with color break are not permitted in higher grades (even though it is not specifically mentioned), then again, it all depends on how you define the terms used to describe defects, I am strict with grading and I try to be as consistent as possible, when in doubt or on the fence about a grade I always go lower, if it were my book being graded and cataloged by me for inventory purposes in my collection it would receive the grade I posted.

9.2 NEAR MINT- (NM-): Almost no stress lines.

9.0 VERY FINE/NEAR MINT (VF/NM): A very minor accumulation of stress lines may be present if they are nearly imperceptible.

8.0 VERY FINE (VF): Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF): Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present.

6.0 FINE (FN): Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present.

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN):  Minor staple tears and minor stress lines may also be present.

How do you define "Almost NO", "very MINOR accumulation", "a few, almost INSIGNIFICANT", "a SMALL accumulation of light", "a few SLIGHT" and "MINOR", those descriptions are all open to interpretation and in some instances may mean the same thing.

Great looking copy….8.5/9.0 with pictures presented, but interior pages can deduct more if right corner ding carry’s through the inside. 🤷‍♂️
7.5/8 my guess without book in hand (possibly better)

Again nice newsstand copy @comicjoe1234

On 9/9/2022 at 4:36 AM, nepatkm said:

Great looking copy….8.5/9.0 with pictures presented, but interior pages can deduct more if right corner ding carry’s through the inside. 🤷‍♂️
7.5/8 my guess without book in hand (possibly better)

Again nice newsstand copy @comicjoe1234

What @nepatkmsaid.